Jhené Aiko - Chilombo (3rd Studio Album) | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Jhené Aiko - Chilombo (3rd Studio Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sanctuary, Jun 12, 2017.

1. I still need time with this, because there's just... so much here, just like with Trip.

Part of me wishes she'd go back to releasing 14 track albums, or even 16 if she must stretch it out a bit, because these 20+ track albums by her are a slog to get through. By track 15 I had to switch to something else, because as @Jonathan27 said, there isn't enough variation. I sort of feel like the run from Track 15 - 19 could have all been condensed into one or two tracks w/ tighter editing. It all feels slightly indulgent, which would be fine if she switched up the sound more.

That said, some of the songs here are Jhene at her best: Speak, Pussy Fairy, Happiness Over Everything, Lightning & Thunder, Tryna Smoke (!!!) + Born Tired are my favorites. It's a stronger album than Trip for me, at least.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. It is a good album in the grand scheme of things, but it kinda feels like a jumbled retread of stuff she's already done. The songs are strong for the most part, but it's not the experience that Souled Out and Trip were.

3. This is exhausting. Artists need to lay off weed week of deciding what goes in albums.
    It's also super catchy and moody at parts so I'll keep on.

4. It really needs a good edit and a good A&R that doesn't make Jhené feel like they're tampering with her vision or the experience she wants to create with her music. The quality is there! But it's not just an album that benefits anything from being this long and homogeneous, in fact the songs almost get muddled. There are vibey albums that work from being this long as they take you in a journey, in fact I would argue that Trip could even fall in that category, but Chilombo is asking for a bit of trimming.

OspreyQueen likes this.
  5. I think the length is perfect nn each track is great ESPECIALLY from track 12-20...all essential shit, yes they sound samey but everything is so beautiful i'm not complaining at all.. i want more!!!

Secret and godspeed like this.
  6. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

B.S., Tryna Smoke, and Born Tired as the clear highlights, but overall this isn't really working for me. Trip was stupidly long too, but nothing on here really hits me in the same way that songs like Overstimulated and Ascension did.

Mr Blonde likes this.
  7. My physical copy arrived today yay! The physical version of Party For Me as a Pray For You type of interlude/outro sounds really really nice.

8. HDD has her coming in at #2 with 153k SPS.

Sis kinda won.

Butterfly, Jersey, Island and 3 others like this.
  9. I'm absolutely shocked at those numbers. 120k increase from Trip's 32k.
    Slow and steady really does win the race, wow.

nooniebao and tea like this.
  10. This is phenomenal!

Butterfly, BreatheBox and godspeed like this.
  11. Hot 100:

#24 Jhene Aiko ft. H.E.R. - B.S.
    #40 Jhene Aiko - P*$$Y FAIRY (OTW)
    #65 Jhene Aiko ft. Miguel - Hoe
    #87 Jhene Aiko - Triggered
    #93 Jhene Aiko - None of Your Concern

she did that!!

BrokenHearts, tea, Jersey and 6 others like this.

tea and Jersey like this.
    TRAVVV likes this.
  14. Goddamn where are her numbers and chart positions coming from? Trip almost killed her career commercially speaking as far as I remember.

sesita likes this.
  15. That’s actually a good question I haven’t seen posed? I guess this album’s just a lot more commercial and streaming-friendly in sound than Trip?

16. Hm... maybe and I guess the high(er) profile features also added to that plus her team definitely invested into heavy playlisting this time around as I'm seeing her name on plenty of top Spotify playlists but things still don't add up.

nooniebao likes this.
  17. It has to be consistency + good playlisting. I don't think this album is any more commercial/streaming-friendly in sound, besides the fact that it lacks the 'Trip' concept.

I wasn't following her as closely back then, but I seem to remember the Trip release being drawn out & then without fanfare (semi-surprise/short notice release?). I assume they didn't know where to place her and playlisting wasn't as strong as it could've been for the first week. The era was still a success. While We're Young didn't chart but went Platinum, Sativa peaked at #74 but went 2x Platinum (+ Never Call Me peaked at #54 and went Gold).

I assume with this album, they've just been a bit more successful in making sure her audience, which clearly always existed, were aware of her stuff straight away rather than being put onto it later in the era.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    sesita, tea, BreatheBox and 2 others like this.
  18. While I do like Trip more, Chilombo is exactly what I need at this moment in these crazy times...glad to see her doing well at charts.
    However, I would like to see her trying to collaborate with some different producers....like Jamie XX or James Blake.

TRAVVV and godspeed like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.