Jill Scott (Fourth studio album)- The Light of the Sun | The Popjustice Forum

Jill Scott (Fourth studio album)- The Light of the Sun

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by youthless, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jill's first album since 2007's 'The Real Thing: Words and Sounds Vol.3' (which was patchy compared to the first 2 in my opinion) and her debut on a major (she left long-time label Hidden Beach for Warner). Produced with Dre & Vidal, JR Hudson and Warryn Campbell.

I've loved loved loved Jill since she burst on the scene in 2000 telling them girls that "queens don't swing, if ya know what I mean..." in 'Gettin' in my Way' but to be honest I wasn't overwhelmingly excited for this but it's getting AMAZING reviews. So shocked and pleasantly surprised that she's gotten her first Number 1 on the Billboard 200.

Discuss?

2. LJB

LJB

You're shocked a Jill Scott album is good? Well, each to their own.

But yes, she hit the ball out of the park yet again with this one. I think, although it lacks the high points of Beautifully Human and The Real Thing, it's altogether her most consistently good album since Who Is Jill Scott.

Instant favourites are Le Boom Vent Suite and Hear My Call (gorgeous).

I know Jill isn't very 'Pop' but distinctly 'R&B/Soul' but if you think 4 is even slightly good I urge you to buy this. Might change you mind ever so slightly. And quite frankly, with this albums she continues to be the best lyricist in the world.

3. I'm not really following the pattern of logic with that one, I'm afraid.

Love Jill, can't wait to hear this. I'm sure I read in one of the reviews that most of the songs are improvised, which is intriguing. Hope we get some live shows with this one as well - I saw her when she toured the last album and she was fantastic.

4. Not sure where you got that...why would I have made the thread. I meant I guess, it's been 4 years, in which time we've gotten Janelle, Jazmine, J-Hud, Chrisette Michele, new albums from Alicia, Mary J and Erykah not to mention her male counterpoints (Cee-Lo, John Legend and The Roots) and she seemed to be more interested in acting than music, so I suppose I wasn't expecting such a relevant comeback. Great reviews, the best chart position of her career and she looks unbelievable in the promo shots.

Extremely excited to hear this.

5. My favourite album by her is... the live album, "Experience"!!!

I'm shocked I'm even saying that as I generally only 'tolerate' live records, but 'Experience' is quite special indeed. As a lyricist, I agree that she's at the very top... I used to recite the whole 'Exclusively' intro from her first album, just because I loved its rhythm, the lyrics, the pacing, the little breaths...

Am off to check out the new stuff (I feared she'd strayed into Middle Of The Road territory permanently)...

"Queens shouldn't swing, if you know what I mean, but I'm about to take my rings off. Get me some vaseline!"

Has anyone ever captured the aggression, pride and ridiculousness of starting a fight so perfectly?

6. LJB

LJB

7. It's an ok album...the best is her debut, what an album!!! jazz/r&b and so lush!

8. Love her! She does r+b best. I love her beats and vocal delivery.

Gimme is a favorite.

9. Ha! I thought I was the only one. I lived to recite that for a good few months.

I can not believe she scored a #1 album! Go Jill! I'm off to listen!

10. A friend and I often recite bits of "Family Reunion" (from the second album) because it's so hilarious. So many mentions of scallions, potato salad, drunken Aunt Juicy... Amazing.

Anyway, I'm liking this new album. I think it sounds more stable than the third album. But I'll agree that her debut's been her strongest thus far.

11. "She sniffed, *sniff sniff sniff*" AMAZING. Family Reunion is great too, Cross My Mind is my fav from that album.

As a lyricist she's unrivalled.

"Let's take a long walk around the park after dark
    Find a spot for us to spark
    Conversation, verbal elation, stimulation
    Share our situations, temptations, education, relaxations
    Elevations, maybe we can talk about Revelation 3:17"

12. Album starts really well and goes steadily downhill.
    And all the sex noises.... jeez... put me right off my lunch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.