Jimmy Somerville / Bronski Beat / The Communards

Gosh I love this man. Jimmy has released some of the most incredible music with Bronski Beat, The Communards and his solo stuff. Someone who has always been real and true to himself on a personal level and through his art.

I am really excited about the reissue of the second and final The Communards album Red later this month. I wish this performance was included.

I would also love to see a solo Best Of / Greatest Hits compilation released. Jimmy has released some amazing solo records and if it were to ever happen it must include the following collaborations.

The Last Infanta - UNO & Jimmy

Gimme Shelter - Voice Of The Beehive & Jimmy

The Number One Song In Heaven - Sparks & Jimmy
(start point 4:07)

Take Me There - Scratch Massive & Jimmy

Another rewind back to the late 80's and the Doppelpunkt archives and a wonderful performance of Never Can Say Goodbye. Always a pleasure to see Jimmy, Richard and the Banderas girls performing together.

Happy 38th Anniversary to Bronski Beat's The Age Of Consent.

Released on 15 October 1984 and features amazing singles It Ain't Necessarily So, Why? and of course the mega hit and gay anthem Smalltown Boy.

HTML:
<iframe style="border-radius:12px" src="https://open.spotify.com/embed/album/6OMYQUITdN6wBaWfEtgooI?utm_source=generator" width="100%" height="380" frameBorder="0" allowfullscreen="" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" loading="lazy"></iframe>

Last edited:
While not dramatically different (why would it need to be?), the Overnight Mix of Tomorrow with it's slightly beefed up production is wonderful. A song that sounds as fresh (and sadly relevant) today as it did 35 years ago.

It's a shame we didn't get a third Communards LP as the two they did release are top-drawer pop with a perfect run of singles.

While not dramatically different (why would it need to be?), the Overnight Mix of Tomorrow with it's slightly beefed up production is wonderful. A song that sounds as fresh (and sadly relevant) today as it did 35 years ago.

It's a shame we didn't get a third Communards LP as the two they did release are top-drawer pop with a perfect run of singles.

Isn't just. Loving it! Sadly, I am having to enjoy this and the other unreleased material digitally as both Townsend Records and Banquet Records have failed to deliver my physical copies.

All the singles from both albums were incredible and a lot of them had a powerful important message. The remixes from the Red singles are fantastic too and let's not forget the amazing B-sides. Jimmy and Richard were pure magic.

I often wonder what a third Communards album would have sounded like and if any of the songs on Read My Lips were conceived during the Communard years.

I am probably getting my hopes up and will be disappointed but with both albums now reissued for their 35th anniversary and with no Jimmy dates at any of the Let's Rock dates that some 35 anniversary live dates might be announced with Richard and of course the Banderas girls.

So, we are on the...3rd (?) re-issue of the Communards albums on cd - the last 2 being posh 2 disk affairs.

I've got the edsel editions. Not caring about rare or collectable, more about the goods, is there anything stand-out of these new re-issues?

So, we are on the...3rd (?) re-issue of the Communards albums on cd - the last 2 being posh 2 disk affairs.

I've got the edsel editions. Not caring about rare or collectable, more about the goods, is there anything stand-out of these new re-issues?

This is indeed the 3rd release and second expanded reissue.

This new reissue has all the b-sides in one place plus the following unreleased material:

Tomorrow (Demo)
Never Can Say Goodbye (Rough Mix)
For A Friend (Rough Mix)
Hold On Tight (Demo)
Tomorrow (Overnight Mix)
Never Can Say Goodbye (Spanish Vocal)

Also has Never Can Say Goodbye (The 2 Bears Remix)

I am a huge Jimmy Somerville fan so for me it's fantastic but neither the 2012 or 2022 expanded editions combined complete the era. Off the top of my head the following is missing:

NCSG (7" Version)
NCSG (US 7" Version)
NCSG (Shep Pettibone Remix) 7.49 version
NCSG (Dub Mix) from the US 12" promo
There's More To Love (12" Version)

I would die for both The Communards' Communards and Red eras to have a boxset like the recent Shakespears Sister Hormonally Yours. I am forever the dreamer...

What - There's More To Love (12" Version) - is like one of the best of their 12 inches - certainly the most interesting - I wonder why it gets no love?

Posting this for those who haven't seen it but a nice interview with Jon Foster. It's a really great insight into the history of the band.

The story of the various Bronski Beat members is really tragic. I didn't know Jon Foster left Bronski Beat because he discovered he had both HIV and cancer on a US tour. Larry later also had HIV and cancer and tragically died 2 days before he was due to meet up with Jon for a reunion. Jon said Steve had his "demons" and that his mental health issues could have been related to his disappointment about Jimmy leaving the band. He had expected them to be huge superstars and apparently Jimmy ruined that. Steve also took a lot of drugs. Steve tragically died in a house fire in 2021.

Nice to see Jon Jon in good health though and along with Jimmy, keeping the memory of Bronski Beat alive.

Last edited:
Posting this for those who haven't seen it but a nice interview with Jon Foster. It's a really great insight into the history of the band.

The story of the various Bronski Beat members is really tragic. I didn't know Jon Foster left Bronski Beat because he discovered he had both HIV and cancer on a US tour. Larry later also had HIV and cancer and tragically died 2 days before he was due to meet up with Jon for a reunion. Jon said Steve had his "demons" and that his mental health issues could have been related to his disappointment about Jimmy leaving the band. He had expected them to be huge superstars and apparently Jimmy ruined that. Steve also took a lot of drugs. Steve tragically died in a house fire in 2021.

Nice to see Jon Jon in good health though and along with Jimmy, keeping the memory of Bronski Beat alive.

It breaks my heart both Larry and Steve are both not still with us. What Jimmy, Larry and Steve created whilst briefly together was outstanding and to some degree underrated. 3 unapologetic gay men who were not going to be anything else delivering top their music. Icons!

Age Of Consent not only has two of the best songs ever Smalltown Boy & Why but is filled with incredible songs both lyrically and musically. Hundreds & Thousands their remix album again is brilliant. One of the best stand alone remix albums of the 80's.

I was only 13 when Smalltown Boy was released and it was the first time I saw someone like me on TV. I course did not understand the true meaning of the song until many years later but had such a profound effect on me. It was one of the first songs to blatantly address gay issues.

I wonder if Larry & Steve were still with us and with Age Of Consent turning 40 next year whether a special show celebrating the anniversary would have happened.

It breaks my heart both Larry and Steve are both not still with us. What Jimmy, Larry and Steve created whilst briefly together was outstanding and to some degree underrated. 3 unapologetic gay men who were not going to be anything else delivering top their music. Icons!

Age Of Consent not only has two of the best songs ever Smalltown Boy & Why but is filled with incredible songs both lyrically and musically. Hundreds & Thousands their remix album again is brilliant. One of the best stand alone remix albums of the 80's.

I was only 13 when Smalltown Boy was released and it was the first time I saw someone like me on TV. I course did not understand the true meaning of the song until many years later but had such a profound effect on me. It was one of the first songs to blatantly address gay issues.

I wonder if Larry & Steve were still with us and with Age Of Consent turning 40 next year whether a special show celebrating the anniversary would have happened.
I’m not gay but even if I can’t relate to all the lyrics, I consider The Age of Consent an exceptional synth pop album. The music rivals Depeche Mode in places.

Smalltown Boy has a universal theme but I thought “Why?” was more direct. Jimmy singing “turn around and kiss his lips” on daytime TV would never have happened 10 years prior.

I think JS should tour AOC, even with backing tapes.

I’m not gay but even if I can’t relate to all the lyrics, I consider The Age of Consent an exceptional synth pop album. The music rivals Depeche Mode in places.

Smalltown Boy has a universal theme but I thought “Why?” was more direct. Jimmy singing “turn around and kiss his lips” on daytime TV would never have happened 10 years prior.

I think JS should tour AOC, even with backing tapes.
Sadly, it appears Jimmy is taking a break this year from live stuff.

Jimmy's live band consists of 10+ musicians and backing singers and is a real treat to see. The mixture of Bronski Beat, The Communards and his solo stuff all come together beautifully in a setlist. I am sure Jimmy and co would do AOC justice in a live setting and would be great way to celebrate the music and the lives of Larry & Steve.

The past two years both Communards albums have turned 35 and I think there is more chance Jimmy and Richard would do some shows celebrating their music together. A one off show at the Royal Albert Hall in two parts would be out of this world. Each part consisting of the two albums + b-sides (all incredible too) respectively. Then if the Banderas girls joined them and an appearance form Sarah Jane Morris the show would be on another level.