JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, May 15, 2017.

1. Guy

Guy

It didn't.

2. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

31. The Way You Do Me
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.676
    Highest Score: 10 (RainOnFire, RMK, Guy)
    Lowest Score: 3 (munro)
    My Score: 10

This, my friends, is what I like to call an absolute fucking BANGER. This is easily in my personal Top 15, maybe even Top 10 still. Hypersexual, frantic, shrieky-ass BOP.

My fellow highest scorer RMK asks "Just…what kind of timeless bop?" Yas sis. Sprockrooster (9) exclaims "what a rush!" and evilsin (9) gets freaky, saying "The stop-and-go feel to this is outstanding. I want some one to do me the way he does her."​

TRAVVV says "While certainly a bop, something about the tone of her voice and the delivery here always bothers me. Also - I’m roughly Jojo’s age, and when this came out, it was SO awkward for her to be talking about how a guy “does” her… certainly hasn’t gotten less cringe in time." HATER.

And even though slaybellz is CLEARLY a hater as well with a score of 6, he supplies a fitting gif that I'll allow to close out this elimination.
    [​IMG]

30. This Time
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.706
    Highest Score: 10 (TRAVVV)
    Lowest Score: 5 (Veeis)
    My Score: 8.5

The High Road suffers a double-whammy as opening track This Time gets the boot.

"Her ad-libs are always on point!" GhettoPrincess (8) notes, and evilsin (9) adds "I just love how minimalistic this sounds and yet manages to grasp my attention wholeheartedly."

Highest scorer TRAVVV says "I remember learning Laurie Ann Gibson’s choreography to this back in 2008. Make sure y’all peep her TRL performance of this track. Those legendary Jojo adlibs here are to die for."

29. Right On Time
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.765
    Highest Score: 10 (Elysium, TRAVVV, Lost In Japan., Remorque)
    Lowest Score: 3 (GhettoPrincess)
    My Score: 9

#LOVEJO2 bites the bullet as its last remaining song gets cut. Right On Time is amazing and features a fantastic interpolation of I Love You Always Forever, except the song itself isn't even on the EP anymore because of a certain hater named Donna Lewis who got pressed that she wasn't making royalties off of a song that was released for free on SoundCloud. Yep.

Sprockrooster (4) isn't a fan, saying "Not here for these kind of drops (or whatever you call those instrumental post-chorus things)" and evilsin (7) is on the fence, saying "this is kinda weird. It's fine, boo at Donna Lewis threatening to sue."

Meanwhile highest scorer TRAVVV says the track is "another near 11" and adds "What an anthem. I almost wish this were the comeback single instead of When Love Hurts."

And our last two comments made me chuckle, with send photo (6.5) keeping it simple with "Fuck Donna Lewis" and Guy (9.5) saying "fukk Donna Summer or whoever." What did poor ol' Donna Summer ever do to you?!

~

Remaining songs:
    JoJo (2/16)
    1. Breezy
    2. Baby It's You (feat. Bow Wow)
    3. Not That Kinda Girl
    4. The Happy Song
    5. Homeboy
    6. City Lights

7. Leave (Get Out)
    8. Use My Shoulder
    9. Never Say Goodbye
    10. Weak
    11. Keep On Keepin' On
    12. Sunshine
    13. Yes Or No
    14. Fairy Tales
    15. Butterflies
    16. Back & Forth

The High Road (4/15)
    1. This Time
    2. The Way You Do Me

3. Too Little Too Late
    4. The High Road
    5. Anything
    6. Like That
    7. Good Ol'

8. Coming for You
    9. Let It Rain
    10. Exceptional
    11. How to Touch a Girl
    12. Note to God
    13. Get It Poppin'
    14. I Can Take You There
    15. Do Whatcha Gotta Do

Can't Take That Away From Me (1/11)
    1. Can't Take That Away From Me
    2. Running On Empty
    3. Pretty Please
    4. Why Didn't You Call
    5. Just a Dream
    6. When Does It Go Away (feat. Travis Garland)
    7. My Time Is Money
    8. What You Like (feat. Jordan Gatsby)

9. In the Dark
    10. Boy Without a Heart
    11. All I Want Is Everything

Agápē (1/7)
    1. Back2thebeginningagain
    2. We Get By
    3. Take the Canyon
    4. Billions
    5. White Girl In Paris

6. Andre
    7. Can't Handle the Truth

#LOVEJO (0/3)
    1. Caught Up In the Rapture
    2. Take Me Home
    3. Glory

III. (3/3)
    1. When Love Hurts
    2. Save My Soul
    3. Say Love

#LOVEJO2 (0/4)
    1. Right On Time
    2. Back2Life
    3. When Love Hurts (Real Love Remix)
    4. Thinkin' Out Loud

Mad Love (14/15)
    1. Music
    2. I Can Only (feat. Alessia Cara)
    3. Fuck Apologies (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
    4. FAB (feat. Remy Ma)
    5. Mad Love
    6. Vibe
    7. Honest
    8. Like This
    9. Edibles
    10. High Heels
    11. I Am
    12. Clovers
    13. Reckless
    14. Good Thing
    15. Rise Up

Extras (3/6)
    1. Secret Love
    2. The Other Chick

3. Marvin's Room (Can't Do Better)
    4. Disaster
    5. Sexy to Me
    6. Demonstrate

Music Is Life, Robsolete, Guy and 8 others like this.
  3. RMK

RMK

WHAT?

@munro If you just gave 'The Way You Do Me' a five I'm sure it would've made the top thirty mark. I truly hope all your 11s loose.

4. My first 10! What's not to love? Perfect contemporary production, so euphoric, and VOCALS. I almost chucked in commentary along the lines of "fuck Donna Lewis" so I'm glad @send photo and @Guy have it covered.

5. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

[​IMG]

#LOVEJO2

Average: 6.782

29. Right On Time – 7.765
    37. Thinking Out Loud – 7.382
    64. Back2Life – 6.041
    65. When Love Hurts (Real Love Remix) – 5.941

Highest Scorers:
    1. Elysium - 9.05
    2. Remorque - 8.75
    3. RainOnFire - 7.875
    4. TRAVVV - 7.75
    5. Lost In Japan. - 7.5

Lowest Scorers:
    1. Robsolete - 4.5
    2. GhettoPrincess - 4.75
    3. Guy - 5.5
    4. RMK & Sprockrooster - 6
    5. Veeis - 6.125​

Music Is Life, Robsolete, Guy and 6 others like this.
  6. I'm still pissed about Reckless.

7. I'm happy that 5 of the 6 songs I kept in my library from The High Road for all these years are the ones that made it the furthest from that album. "How To Touch A Girl" is the only one that got cut too early.

8. I'm... fine. As long as my 11 makes Top10... Oh, if only.

slaybellz likes this.
  9. I find Reckless one of the worst in the context of the album, it's a good song but there are much better songs.

slaybellz likes this.
  10. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

28. Demonstrate
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.912
    Highest Score: 10 (slaybellz, TRAVVV)
    Lowest Score: 5 (Sprockrooster)

The third of four lead singles for the supposed third album (did you get that?) leaves next. Like The Other Chick, Demonstrate wasn't even granted an official release, and a music video that was filmed stayed unreleased because according to Blackground, she looked "too fat". Awful. The song itself is a winner though, and found Jo switching lanes from her usual brand of pop/R&B due to the success of her Marvin's Room cover/reply.

I actually never used this prior to this rate - it was only after listening to it a few weeks ago that it's stayed on constant rotation and I'm not sure why it didn't grab me before. I would even bump up my score a bit more now teebs.

While lowest scorer Sprockrooster (5) felt that "parts of the song feel 'interlude'-ish", everyone else seemed to love it. send photo (9) calls it one of his favourite Jo tracks, but adds that "the production is a touch… tinny? It’d be perfect with a bit of polish."

evilsin (7) finds it be "sultry and sensual", and highest scorer slaybellz says "This is one of the best songs in her entire discography and I'll never get over how it was paid absolute dust! #Justice4Demonstrate". I'd say it's done pretty well here!

27. Rise Up
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.941
    Highest Score: 10 (TRAVVV, Guy)
    Lowest Score: 5 (send photo)
    My Score: 6

The Mad Love cuts begin as bonus track Rise Up is out next. This song is really cute and I bop, but really...this could've fallen out of the Top 40 and I'd be fine. I'm chalking up its great performance in this rate to the recency of Mad Love and the album itself being phenomenal.

Lost In Japan. (9) basically sums it up for me though, saying "A bit cheesy for JoJo but a lovely ending to an album that was a long time coming." Yes, exactly. Lowest scorer send photo on the other hand isn't a fan of the cheese, saying "Eugh, it’s fine but I usually stop at Good Thing. It veers into cheesy and cliché."

"And that is how you close an album" Sprockrooster (9) stans, and Veeis (8) agrees: "This is a nice song to end the album with such an optimistic sound, it's great". evilsin (9) also calls it "the perfect closer" and adds "It does sound a bit out of place with it cheery attitude yet it works wonderfully. I adore this."

26. Let It Rain
    [​IMG]
    Average: 7.941
    Highest Score: 10 (GhettoPrincess, slaybellz, HollyDunnSomething)
    Lowest Score: 5.5 (RMK)
    My Score: 9.5

This, folks, is what the second single from The High Road should've been. Listening to it now it's a teeny bit cheesy with those sounds effects of rain and the "let it raaaain" backing vocals, but that doesn't deny the fact that it's a stone-cold bop.

Highest scorers GhettoPrincess and HollyDunnSomething had this to say: "I really like how smooth this is to listen to and the middle 8 is gorgeous. Simple but effective" (yes, that middle-8 is perfect) and "The drama of the thunder/lightning sound effects... I do love this song though, I thought it would have made a strong single choice."

Meanwhile evilsin (6) says "The strings remind me of something else so much, the whole song is kind of a rehash to be honest, but I guess it's inevitable when it comes to the R'n'B of the 2000s" which I can understand.​

11. Guy

Guy

The Way You Do Me should have been The High Road's highest rated album track, to be honest.

And noooooo! I love Rise Up. It never fails to put me in a great mood.

12. I'm not sure why I didn't give Demonstrate a ten. Bop for days.

Music Is Life likes this.
  13. Let It Rain deserved better than 26!

RainOnFire and GhettoPrincess like this.
  14. Demonstrate at 28?? And i'm the only one who gave it a 10??

[​IMG]

Music Is Life and Jersey like this.
  15. RMK

RMK

So... before it gets eliminated, which I'm guessing will be very soon (after Edibles, though), who gave 'Like This' a low score? I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for one of JoJo's best songs to get eliminated.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  16. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

And the last two songs with scores below 8 are...

25. Vibe
    [​IMG]
    Average Score: 7.971
    Highest Score: 10 (GhettoPrincess, Lost In Japan.)
    Lowest Score: 5 (slaybellz)

BAWWWWWWWWWWP.

Highest scorer Lost In Japan. calls it "the catchiest goddamn song ever", also adding that it was "amazing in concert". munro (7.5) agrees, saying that she "sells the shit out of this live". evilsin (9) says "I adore how she manages to give her own take even on the ever present tropical themes." Very true!

send photo (7.5) thinks the chorus "gets a bit repetitive", but that it "goes off all the same". Veeis (7) "bops to it sometimes", and adds that "it could be a hit too". Highest scorer GhettoPrincess also calls it a bop and agrees, saying it "should've been a single as it's so catchy and might've been a good chance at a hit for her. Particularly love the chorus, middle 8 and those ad-libs (of course)".

24. In the Dark
    [​IMG]
    Average Score: 7.971
    Highest Score: 10 (RainOnFire, GhettoPrincess, Veeis)
    Lowest Score: 4 (Lost In Japan., Guy)
    My Score: 10

In the Dark was the only single released prior to the Can't Take That Away From Me mixtape. I absolutely adore this, although to be completely honest I think I may have overscored it by a point or a half. Whatever, it's still one of her best songs regardless! I remember the full mixtape being a bit of a disappointment because nothing else seemed to live up to the brilliance of this song.

My fellow highest scorer GhettoPrincess agrees with me, calling it "by far the best thing on the mixtape. That production is top notch and she sounds sublime even with all the voice effects. It’s such a sexy song but not in an over obvious way. I’d love her to explore this sound again at some point."

Sprockrooster (9) says it's "a very weird track, but very good too!" and evilsin (9) gets his life, saying "What kind of stone-cold-straight-up-fuck-me-now bop? I'm surprised I dismissed this when the mixtape came out".

On the other end, we have RMK (7.5) who says the track "feels very.. low quality. Would've been an amazing song with better mixing" and slaybellz (6) who says "this is JoJo's 'Justify My Love' but not as good".

~

Tomorrow we hit the 8 zone, and we'll also find out our Top 20! Which 3 songs do you think missed the cut?

Remaining songs:
    JoJo (2/16)
    1. Breezy
    2. Baby It's You (feat. Bow Wow)
    3. Not That Kinda Girl
    4. The Happy Song
    5. Homeboy
    6. City Lights

7. Leave (Get Out)
    8. Use My Shoulder
    9. Never Say Goodbye
    10. Weak
    11. Keep On Keepin' On
    12. Sunshine
    13. Yes Or No
    14. Fairy Tales
    15. Butterflies
    16. Back & Forth

The High Road (3/15)
    1. This Time
    2. The Way You Do Me

3. Too Little Too Late
    4. The High Road
    5. Anything
    6. Like That
    7. Good Ol'

8. Coming for You
    9. Let It Rain
    10. Exceptional
    11. How to Touch a Girl
    12. Note to God
    13. Get It Poppin'
    14. I Can Take You There
    15. Do Whatcha Gotta Do

Can't Take That Away From Me (0/11)
    1. Can't Take That Away From Me
    2. Running On Empty
    3. Pretty Please
    4. Why Didn't You Call
    5. Just a Dream
    6. When Does It Go Away (feat. Travis Garland)
    7. My Time Is Money
    8. What You Like (feat. Jordan Gatsby)
    9. In the Dark
    10. Boy Without a Heart
    11. All I Want Is Everything

Agápē (1/7)
    1. Back2thebeginningagain
    2. We Get By
    3. Take the Canyon
    4. Billions
    5. White Girl In Paris

6. Andre
    7. Can't Handle the Truth

#LOVEJO (0/3)
    1. Caught Up In the Rapture
    2. Take Me Home
    3. Glory

III (3/3)
    1. When Love Hurts
    2. Save My Soul
    3. Say Love

#LOVEJO2 (0/4)
    1. Right On Time
    2. Back2Life
    3. When Love Hurts (Real Love Remix)
    4. Thinkin' Out Loud

Mad Love (12/15)
    1. Music
    2. I Can Only (feat. Alessia Cara)
    3. Fuck Apologies (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
    4. FAB (feat. Remy Ma)
    5. Mad Love
    6. Vibe
    7. Honest
    8. Like This
    9. Edibles
    10. High Heels
    11. I Am
    12. Clovers
    13. Reckless
    14. Good Thing
    15. Rise Up

Extras (2/6)
    1. Secret Love
    2. The Other Chick

3. Marvin's Room (Can't Do Better)
    4. Disaster
    5. Sexy to Me
    6. Demonstrate

17. I bop to Disaster as much as the next hunty, but I don't think it should've done better than Demonstrate

slaybellz likes this.
  18. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

[​IMG]

CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME

Average: 6.881

24. In the Dark – 7.971
    33. Can’t Take That Away From Me – 7.529
    41. When Does It Go Away – 7.235
    43. Why Didn’t You Call – 7.224
    46. My Time Is Money – 7.029
    48. All I Want Is Everything – 7.000
    51. Running On Empty – 6.912
    55. Just a Dream – 6.412
    56. Boy Without a Heart – 6.382
    57. Pretty Please – 6.324
    68. What You Like – 5.676

Highest Scorers:
    1. Elysium - 8.345
    2. TRAVVV - 8.091
    3. Remorque - 7.955
    4. evilsin - 7.909
    5. Sprockrooster - 7.273

Lowest Scorers:
    1. HollyDunnSomething - 5.136
    2. Lost In Japan. - 5.364
    3. ohnostalgia - 5.636
    4. send photo - 5.773
    5. Veeis - 6.409​

Music Is Life, Guy, evilsin and 6 others like this.
  19. Yeah, this is starting to hurt now. So many good songs going, but so many good songs left so it's inevitable.

Music Is Life, Guy and Lost In Japan. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.