JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER | Page 16 | The Popjustice Forum

JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, May 15, 2017.

1. God I hope not.

2. Guy

Guy

This has been a very turbulent rate for me. Please, just let me have this for a bit

slaybellz likes this.
  3. Fine! But "Too Little Too Late" missing the Top 5?

[​IMG]

4. Guy

Guy

Oh, Too Little Too Late and Leave can get to numbers 2 and 3 respectively, I just am not willing to accept a song she recorded at 12-14 years old as the winner. She's grown way too much as an artist.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  5. Again? Rate villain crew make some noise!

6. I'm happy with top 15, Say Love is a great song. Glad my commentary was appreciated!

GhettoPrincess likes this.
  7. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

And our final two cuts before the Top 10 are...

12. Baby It's You
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.559
    Highest Score: 11 (slaybellz) 10 (GhettoPrincess, evilsin, Robsolete, TRAVVV, Guy)
    Lowest Score: 5.5 (Veeis)
    My Score: 9

Do you guys remember when the last JoJo song was eliminated? It was at #53, with Not That Kinda Girl. That means there's a 41-PLACE DIFFERENCE between the main singles from the album and the rest of it. An absolute mess.

Baby It's You was released as the second single from JoJo. While the album version is solo, a revamped version featuring Bow Wow was used as the single version. It just missed the Top 20 in the US peaking at #22, while it hit the Top 10 in the UK at #8.

I highkey LOVE this song approximately fifty times more than Leave (Get Out), and I would've rather had this in the Top 10 instead teebs. But anyway, onto our commentary:

"I see this was a small hit in the Netherlands, but I have zero recollection of this despite following the charts closely back then. It feels completely like a discovery now! This reggae-style fits perfectly for this summer" Sprockrooster (9) says.

Highest scorer evilsin says that the song is "fucking perfection from start to end, one of my all time JoJo favorites. It's so light and whimsical yet still packs a bit of a punch. Maybe the single version with Bow Wow sounds fuller, but I don't really need him to give this a perfect score it deserves." Fellow highest scorer GhettoPrincess adds "I used to adore this little jam, it’s so easy to listen to. Perfect pop tune with R&B influences."

And lastly, slaybellz explains the 11: "It wasn't until she came out with this song that I truly became a stan. I still listen to this song on the regular. Doesn't sound right without the Bow Wow feature though." Yep, which is why I'm gonna link to this fan's upload of the video with the Bow Wow feature instead of the official one on her Vevo which heinously removes him.

And the final song to just miss out on the Top 10 is....

11. Fuck Apologies
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.735
    Highest Score: 10 (RMK, Elysium, munro, Robsolete, Lost In Japan., Guy, Remorque)
    Lowest Score: 4 (GhettoPrincess)
    My Score: 8.5

This seems quite...fitting, no? Maybe, I don't know. I always find that there's something a little nice about a big lead single hitting the #11 spot in a rate. We acknowledge how amazing you are, but we're pleased that you made room for an album track instead. (That being said, this is still better than a bunch of songs left in the rate, but I digress...).

Fuck Apologies was released as the lead single to Mad Love, and amazingly enough, it actually led to an album! I will always be forever grateful that Atlantic didn't string her along the way every up-and-coming pop girl was and actually released an album after one single instead of five.

Some mixed commentary for this one. Lowest scorer GhettoPrincess says "I don't find this convincing at all". evilsin (8) adds "As much as I like it it does lack a bit more of oomph to it to give it a bigger score. And I can't stop hearing If I really vintage in the chorus instead of meant it."

"That intro is the worst decision on the album" send photo (8) says, but adds "I’ve used and abused the phrase all the same". Veeis (8.5) thinks it was "the perfect lead single, and I was hooked on from the very first listen and I think that it showed album quality, vibe and overall sound very nicely. What a shame that it wasn't big success".

Highest scorers munro and Lost In Japan. can close us out: "Yas sis come through with THAT 'fuck you' anthem" munro stans, while Lost says that it "shoulda smashed worldwide, one hell of a comeback single".

~~~

[​IMG]

Music Is Life, evilsin, Guy and 7 others like this.
  8. I didnot see that Baby Its You cut coming. And I do not approve.

So Marvins Room is top 10. Well deserved. But cut it next please.

evilsin and slaybellz like this.
  9. Nooo! "Baby it's You" was so close to making the Top 10 but yet so far!

I love the video too. It kills me how many times she does that hand on the hip dance move. That was her go to move in that video.

evilsin and RainOnFire like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Moderator

Too Little Too Late has to be the winner, I'm so proud of Honest though.

evilsin and slaybellz like this.
  11. I'm surprised "Anything" made it this far though. I mean I love it but I didn't know so many other people did as well and I didn't think it would make Top 10.

evilsin and send photo like this.
  12. I don't mind losing a high score when I also lose a low score at the same time. Also loving the pace of the rate @RainOnFire.

RainOnFire likes this.
  13. Gutted to lose Baby It's You, Fuck Apologies and Edibles all in one go.

14. Guy

Guy

@RainOnFire if I had given Fuck Apologies my 11, which I very much considered, would it have made the top 10? Please give me this closure I so desperately need

15. I just never was a fan of Baby. Also, I shoulde've given Apologies a little bit higher score.

And it's so nice to see Anything in top10, it's such a classic stellar song in her discography.

16. I feel like my 11 is holding for its dear life and on its last breath... Please let it not be true.

17. Why the fuck is Clovers still in?

Holly Something likes this.
  18. Because it's amazing.
    Just like the rest of the songs...

Music Is Life likes this.
  19. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Yes, it would've been #9 oop

#10 coming in a bit. Not to get dramatic on y'all but personally I think it's the single biggest mistake we've made as a collective in this rate...sigh.

Music Is Life likes this.
  20. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

An Absolute Goddamn Fucking Mess, Part 2:

Sigh.

10. Honest
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.735
    Highest Score: 10 (RainOnFire, send photo, Veeis, Robsolete, TRAVVV, Guy)
    Lowest Score: 5 (Sprockrooster)
    My Score: 10

I genuinely, truly thought that this had a chance of winning the whole thing, so imagine my shock as I was calculating the scores and saw this occasionally drop out of the Top 10, and then end up settling in 10th place. (Not to mention, the lack of full 10's and no 11's...).

Like Knew Better/Forever Boy before it and Hard Feelings/Loveless after it, Honest (or as it should've been called, Cold/Honest) features two songs in one, with a song called Cold preceding a full track titled Honest. It is frankly amazing, and this is what I would hail as JoJo's best song. It deserved my 11, but in this instance I felt like giving it to an underrated track versus my actual favourite song. It didn't even need to win this thing, but frankly the only songs I'd accept being above it are Too Little Too Late for being a classic, FAB for being a personality-laden monster bop, and Music for being an extremely personal reflection of her life and everything she's been through. Everything else...nah.

Let me get this out of the way: "Normally not a hater of longer songs (I mean I stan Meat Loaf hard), but this is definitely too long. Cut it in half" lowest scorer Sprockrooster says. Sis......NO.

Anyway.gif: send photo calls it "one of the highlights if not the best track. Scream at her saving it for the VIP show." Yeah, that was rudity at its finest. evilsin (8) says "People adore this and I can see why, but it still leaves me a little... cold. Teehee." I'll accept it.

Everyone was thirsting over a full version of Cold, which...I don't know, I'm cool with what we got and how it transitions into Honest. But that's just me. "We need Cold in full someday!" Veeis says, adding "this one is perfect, I truly adore it, from the production, through the lyrics, to the overall vibe of it." munro (9) "wants to hear a full studio version of Cold", and TRAVVV adds "JoJo, if you're listening, please leak Cold".​

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.