JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum

JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, May 15, 2017.

1. Yeah, I thought Honest would be higher just because people love it so much in general.

2. 2014

2014 Moderator

This is the one rate I really, really regret not voting in! I'm so sorry @RainOnFire, I'm sorry Jojo, and I'm sorry taste!

3. Guy

Guy

[​IMG]

4. RMK

RMK

FAB is getting top three.

Am I the only one who prefers Too Little Too Late over Leave (Get Out) by a small margin? Not score wise, just in real life.

5. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

9. Good Thing
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.735
    Highest Score: 10 (Elysium, evilsin, munro, slaybellz, TRAVVV, Remorque)
    Lowest Score: 4 (GhettoPrincess)
    My Score: 8

Good Thing is one of the oldest tracks on Mad Love along with I Am, as it was being performed on the I Am JoJo Tour which was supporting III. You can hear a slightly different version of the track in the video below, which JoJo uploaded before the album was released.

This is a fun bop, and I made my peace with it making the Top 10 before the rate had even started. It could've dipped somewhere in the Top 20, but whatever. To be honest, it only got an 8 because it popped the fuck AWF in concert. Otherwise it might be a point or two lower.

"I know I should love this since it’s a bop but I find her uptempo music especially hit or miss" lowest scorer GhettoPrincess says, which is true. Veeis (7) keeps it simple, saying that it's "truly a bop". And Lost In Japan. (9.5) and I are one and the same, as he says "this went up a lot in my estimations after how much it went OFF with the crowd bouncing on tour."

send photo (9) writes: "Now, I absolutely played the shit out of this ever since the live version at Tigerbeat. My life was complete when we got the final product and it still goes awf. That being said it’s far from her best. I’m glad she changed direction and it sticks out on the album like a sore thumb. She sort of had to include it though or we would’ve rioted. [ed note: too damn true!] It’s okay JoJo, we’ve learned our lesson and you can omit the bops next time around (and put them on #LOVEJO3)."

And now onto our highest scorers. evilsin says "Goodness gracius I love me some MNEK, I do. This is such a perfect foot-stomper head-nodder arms-waver bussy-pulverizer! The only thing I would do is make a bit more explosive last chorus, but it still perfect as it is. THAT FALSETTO MIDDLE 8!" munro says "Kii at Ms. JoJo giving us a Poppers O’clock banger", and slaybellz adds "As a fan of 90s house music this song gives me life."

6. RMK

RMK

'Anything' is getting out next, no? Swap Fuck Apologies with Anything... That would be a better ranking.

Guy likes this.
  7. Guy

Guy

This is your first post I can agree with

RMK likes this.
  8. I believe it's a great place for Good Thing to go, as much as I love it I can see how people might not think the same.

DrinkMyTears likes this.
  9. Fun fact, when I sing along with Mad Love instead of "how far can we go" I sing "oh fuck, here we go".

Music Is Life likes this.
  10. Shocked Honest didn't last at least a few more eliminations. Good Thing is a baaawp and I love it, but I'm not really sad to see it go.

Not on my watch!

11. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Nnń sorry sis

8. Anything
    [​IMG]
    Average: 8.853
    Highest Score: 10 (Sprockrooster, Veeis, Robsolete, slaybellz, TRAVVV, Remorque)
    Lowest Score: 6.5 (RMK)
    My Score: 9

Personally I think that The High Road is a pretty consistent album (and to clarify, that means consistently amazing), but you guys clearly ranked this and Too Little Too Late high above the rest, as the last The High Road track to leave was Coming For You all the way back at #23.

Anything was released as the third US single and second UK single from the album. After How to Touch a Girl bombed, this sadly had no chance in the US, and didn't even chart on the Hot 100. One could chalk that up to the fact that a music video wasn't even commissioned for the song, which would begin JoJo's insane, tumultuous battle with Blackground Records. It fared better in the UK however, peaking just outside the Top 20 at #21.

Y'all had a lot of praise for the sample of Toto's 1982 smash hit Africa, and for good reason, because it's AMAZING. "Perfect use of the sample" send photo (8) says, and lowest scorer RMK echoes his sentiments, saying "it uses the sample nicely". evilsin (9) calls the sample use "genius", but adds "maybe a tad overwhelming, but still genius". I can see that too, ha.

Onto our highest scorers. Sprockrooster says "'Africa' lends itself so brilliantly for sample use, especially as part of a hybrid with hiphop. An absolute fantastic discovery and only 11-contender from her first two albums." slaybellz says "Till this day I can't hear the beginning of 'Africa' by Toto without thinking it's going to go into this song." And TRAVVV rightfully says that this "deserved to smash. I’ve always wondered why they pushed the cringe-y How To Touch A Girl over this." Sis, I still wonder why they pushed that over literally 8 other songs on the album!​

12. And so the lead singles from the first 2 albums stand before us. Which one will best the other?

Holly Something likes this.
  13. Ok "Save My Soul" needs to fucking go already. And I love "Clovers" but even I wouldn't say it's worthy of the top 5.

My ideal Top 5 would be:

1. Too Little Too Late
    2. Leave (Get Out)
    3. Music
    4. Marvin's Room
    5. FAB

DrinkMyTears likes this.
  14. @ me.

I am so sorry and disgusted at this travesty. @Sprockrooster you better watch your back hussy.

15. For real though Honest. not making the Top 3 is goddamn travesty.

Just so wrong on so many levels. It's the absolute pinnacle of her artistry and songwriting.

16. Noooooo. Anything being out is NOT okay!

Iconic bop.

17. RMK

RMK

Clovers isn't out yet?

Clovers next, then Music.

18. I fucking CANNOT at Honest, Good Thing and I Can Only going out over fucking Music. And I love FAB but Honest is miles ahead.

19. RMK

RMK

Untrue. FAB is easily within her top five best songs above Honest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.