JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER | Page 19 | The Popjustice Forum

JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, May 15, 2017.

1. Save My Soul is absolutely stunning, definitely one of her most affecting songs.

evilsin likes this.
  2. RMK

RMK

I wasn't on here when the tringle came out, so I had no idea what the favorite was. I assumed it was When Love Hurts or Say Love, but knowing Save My Soul made it this far is so satisfying.

4. Music.
    3. FAB.
    2. Leave (Get Out)
    1. Too Little Too Late

This is the only proper way to finish the rate, and if anyone disagrees on anything other than one and two being swapped you're WRONG.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  3. I was gonna say how I fucking hate you all, but then I realized that my bonus track baby got to #6 and the lowest score was a 7, so...
    [​IMG]
    Not me going through 100+ pages of the Big Pop Girls 2016 Rate to get this Gaga pic...

And Save My Soul... ah, my soul!

4. I'd swap 3 and 4 of what's left.

5. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

So which song misses out on being part of JoJo's Holy Trinity?

4. Music
    [​IMG]
    Average: 9.029
    Highest Score: 11 (send photo) 10 (Sprockrooster, evilsin, munro, TRAVVV, Guy, Remorque)
    Lowest Score: 5.5 (Veeis)
    My Score: 9

Music is the opening track on Mad Love, and recounts JoJo's life up to this point in refreshingly honest and sometimes heartbreaking detail, right up to the third verse/middle-8 which details the sudden passing of JoJo's father. (I've included a clip from the Boston stop of the Mad Love Tour where she completely broke down after the verse, which still kills me every time I watch it).

The song was initially teased when the album was announced in a short promo video that was eventually expanded into a full music video, showing numerous beautiful clips of a young JoJo singing her heart out.

Everything about this song is just so...I don't know, calling it "amazing" still seems like it's doing it a disservice. Rarely do we see a mainstream artist like her lay it all out in a song like this in an extremely detailed manner, and the fact that it's the opening track on an album that was an entire decade in the making is just...god, I love her so much. It just makes me feel so proud as a fan for how far she's come in this crazy, ridiculous, tumultuous journey. It still amazes me how fucking hard she worked and all that she suffered to get to this point, and how she still managed to deliver the album of her life with this song kicking it all off. What a woman.

"I’ve never seen the music video before and it makes the song even more effective especially with all the struggles she’s had with the music industry" GhettoPrincess (8) says. Absolutely! It makes things all that more heartbreaking. slaybellz (9) says "I always have to skip over this song because it's just so emotional. I can only listen to it when I'm in the mood for a good cry." And lowest scorer Veeis still acknowledges that it's a "beautiful ballad", but adds "I'm just not a fan of songs like that".

And now for our highest scorers. munro calls it "Heartbreaking. I always feel like I’m grieving a loss that hasn’t happened when I listen to this." evilsin says that the track "fucks me up so much. She sings this with such raw emotion I tremble every time. I can bet people will give this lesser score because it's a ballad, but I don't care. Because she did THAT." I mean technically only one person did! Everyone else gave it an 8 or higher.

Sprockrooster says "This is bold. Starting an album with a ballad. Calling a song 'music', cause it needs to majestic. And it all makes sense for her doing this after reading into her trials and tribulations for delivering her third album. I applaud her. These vocals are sincere and emotionally drive me to what I enjoy the most: appreciating music." Beautiful.

And lastly, send photo on his 11: "It’s not my favourite track of hers but it should absolutely win. I’m on the verge of tears when it gets to that final chorus. Technically imperfect but so emotive and that’s what makes it so special."

6. I'm not of the opinion that something new shouldn't win, I just don't think it should be FAB. Of the 3 left I'd probably go with Too Little Too Late.

slaybellz and evilsin like this.
  7. I wouldn't mind either one of the Top3 winning, but I agree that it would feel weird if FAB. wins.

God, Music. just fucked me up again...

slaybellz likes this.
  8. I didn't think FAB would make it this far either. Even though I scored it pretty high, I don't agree that it's one of her Top 3 best songs.

9. Guy

Guy

I had a dream last night that there was a mistake and Billions had actually won the rate. Then I woke up and saw that not only was Billions killed off before the top 30, but Music had been eliminated. I hate reality.

Music Is Life, TRAVVV and slaybellz like this.
  10. Leave (Get Out) is a great nostalgic bop, but I'm honestly baffled that it's made it into her Top 3. We talk a lot about recency bias coming into play during rates but I think the nostalgia goggles are on a bit.

Honest., Music., Save My Soul, are all better than Leave. This rate has been truly bizarre. Guess I've only got myself to blame for not getting my votes in.

11. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Our top three is represented by a single from all three of JoJo's studio albums. But which one is going to miss having a chance at the crown?

I've been waiting all day for ya babe...

Come with me, stay the night...

Sweetie I don't want your cookies...

Get out, leave, right now...

It's the end of you and me.

3. Leave (Get Out)
    [​IMG]
    Average: 9.412
    Highest Score: 10 (RMK, Elysium, evilsin, munro, Robsolete, slaybellz, TRAVVV, HollyDunnSomething, ohnostalgia, Remorque)
    Lowest Score: 7.5 (send photo)
    My Score: 8

And so Leave (Get Out) misses out on the finale. It was released as JoJo's debut single, and was a massive success - remember, she was a 13-year-old hitting the mainstream, without a Disney Channel show or anything backing her up. It peaked at #12 on the Hot 100, but more impressively, hit #1 on the now defunct Billboard Pop Songs chart, making her the youngest solo artist in history to score a #1 single in the US, a record that she still holds. It also did amazingly in the UK, peaking at #2.

Was this always going to do well? Duh. I mean, look at that jump from Music's average to this one (9.029 to 9.412!), so our Top 3 was firmly secured from the get-go. But was I terrified it'd be in the finale? Hell yes. @TheDangerZone hit the nail on the head yesterday and the other day too - it's an amazing debut single, but she's developed so much as an artist and it'd almost be a little shameful for her first single to take the crown, as great as it is. I always knew this would be in the Top 10, but I would've been fine with it exiting in the second half. As it stands, I'll take its #3 position if it means a more recent song had a chance in the finale.

send photo (7.5) gets it right, saying that the track is "obviously a solid ten, but it’d be a shame to win though so this is the lowest I can bear to score it." Sprockrooster (9) says "Messy me completely forgetting this and people on this forum being completely fussed about this woman releasing again. And all I can think of was, who?! I should not have forgotten about this like I did".

GhettoPrincess (8) calls the chorus "pop glory", and also adds: "I hated this for a long time, probably cos it was overplayed initially but it's really stood the test of time." Highest scorer slaybellz shares a similar story: "I have to admit when this first came out I was not here for it. I was like why is this chick who's my age trying to act all grown? But I eventually stopped being salty and came to my senses. This is a classic."

And lastly, evilsin shrieks "How can this be still so fucking EPIC? And she was only fucking 13 at the time!? Just HOW? A BOP OF MASSIVE PROPORTIONS!" and HollyDunnSomething adds "This song was IT back in summer 2004, and rightly so. Such a tune, even all these years later."

12. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

[​IMG]

JOJO

Average: 5.897
    Average (Deluxe): 5.767

3. Leave (Get Out) – 9.412
    12. Baby It’s You – 8.559
    53. Not That Kinda Girl – 6.676
    59. The Happy Song – 6.294
    60. Breezy – 6.235
    67. Weak – 5.765
    70. Back & Forth – 5.382
    71. Keep On Keepin’ On – 5.353
    72. Use My Shoulder – 5.265
    73. Never Say Goodbye – 5.176
    74. Homeboy – 5.088
    75. Yes Or No – 5.059
    76. City Lights – 5.029
    78. Fairy Tales – 4.343
    79. Butterflies – 4.324
    80. Sunshine – 4.294

Highest Scorers:
    1. HollyDunnSomething - 7.214
    2. Robsolete - 6.964
    3. Sprockrooster - 6.821
    4. evilsin & Remorque - 6.786
    5. Guy - 6.321

Lowest Scorers:
    1. send photo - 3.357
    2. ohnostalgia - 4.536
    3. Elysium - 5.107
    4. Veeis - 5.25
    5. RainOnFire - 5.607

Highest Scorers (Deluxe):
    1. HollyDunnSomething - 7.125
    2. evilsin - 6.875
    3. Sprockrooster - 6.844
    4. Robsolete & Remorque - 6.594
    5. GhettoPrincess - 6.063

Lowest Scorers (Deluxe):

1. send photo - 3.313
    2. ohnostalgia - 4.531
    3. Veeis - 5.156
    4. Elysium - 5.281
    5. RainOnFire & RMK - 5.438​

13. Okay "Too Little Too Late" needs to win now!

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  14. Remember when they tried to recreate "Too Little Too Late" with Katharine Mcphee?

15. I'm sorry that I murdered your debut album, 13 year old JoJo.

16. I want people to know that I actually don't usually talk, speak or anything like that. 90% of time I'm shrieking.
    What? This does sound similar. Are the producers the same?

17. C'mon Too Little Too Late.

18. Yes same writers and producers.

send photo and evilsin like this.
  19. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

I wanna get to the next page so lemme just make a post of some of the leaked tracks that still slay me today

(I can't find videos of Paper Airplanes and Touchdown, but that would be my Top 5).​

20. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

And some fun videos

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.