JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

JOJO: The Discography Rate - WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RainOnFire, May 15, 2017.

1. There are!

2. I did the same and it was a struggle to get through. I would have had my scores in like 2 weeks ago if it wasn't for that.

3. Also, we may not be rating it but please take this moment to google "Far From Heaven" and be cleansed of all impurities and sin, baptized a new disciple of Jojo.

Music Is Life, Remorque and RMK like this.
  4. For real, her consistency and quality control starting from The High Road onwards is incredible. I forgot what an absolute joy the #LoveJo EPs were.

I almost feel embarrassed about my scores because there are just 8s, 9s, and 10s just about everywhere.

Music Is Life and RainOnFire like this.
  5. My scores were generally much lower than I thought they'd be.

Remorque likes this.
  6. See I'm grading her on her own scale though. I gave something like Caught Up in The Rapture like a 5.5 because in the context of her own discography I think it's one of her weaker output. In the context of something else it would probably be higher.

I really would've liked to do a Vs Rate between Mad Love., Nightride, and The Altar. All three of those releases came out at the same time of the year last year and all three consumed me for the rest of the year.

7. Guy

Guy

I'm starting now!! I need to relisten to the first album and mixtape, but otherwise I should be able to rate most of the songs from memory, so it shouldn't take me too long.

8. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

(I lied about 12AM EST, you've got another 8-10 hours kii)

9. Already a mess. Kii.

10. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

80. Sunshine
    [​IMG]
    Average: 4.294
    Highest Score: 7 (GhettoPrincess, Guy)
    Lowest Score: 2 (TRAVVV, ohnostalgia)
    My Score: 3

I wish I could remember how this song sounds so I could properly eulogize it as JoJo's worst song ever, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Adios! (Also, kii at that artwork serving "I'm not a model, the camera turned on by itself").

Sprockrooster (4) serves us oh_wow.gif: "Oh wow, that singing is a bit cringe". evilsin (5) finds it to be "inoffensive background music", and lowest scorer TRAVVV says "it's a no for me. A bit shouty". I don't remember how the song sounds but I'm pretty sure that's an understatement!

79. Butterflies
    [​IMG]
    Average: 4.324
    Highest Score: 8 (evilsin, TRAVVV)
    Lowest Score: 1 (Guy)
    My Score: 2.5

As if the album wasn't a chore enough, some label executive decided it was a good idea to add BONUS TRACKS. Oof. Once again, another one that I can't recall for the life of me.

Our two highest scorers, understandably, were the only ones who could muster up something to say about this. evilsin thinks it's "nice, smooth, and mellow. Shows what a great vocalist she is", and TRAVVV called it a "gem", adding "I'm amazed how she did all her own backgrounds this whole album."

78. Fairy Tales
    [​IMG]
    Average: 4.353
    Highest Score: 8 (HollyDunnSomething)
    Lowest Score: 1.5 (Guy)
    My Score: 3

Maybe as a good rate host I should be revisiting these songs so I could say something about them, but...do we really care? I don't.

I got ONE comment for this, kii. The good sis evilsin (5) says that it "dissolves almost completely like some other tracks of the album. It's still pretty and nice though".

77. Note to God
    [​IMG]
    Average: 4.747
    Highest Score: 7 (RainOnFire, Sprockrooster, Robsolete)
    Lowest Score: 2 (ohnostalgia)
    My Score: 7

We step off of self-titled's neck for just a sec to throw out the closing track on The High Road. Penned by your friend and mine, Diane Warren, the song is an emotional prayer for world peace. It was later covered by Charice, who performed it on The Oprah Winfrey Show and brought the audience to their feet and Oprah to tears, and teebs it still slays me to this day. This one could've stayed in for a bit longer, but ultimately I'm not that bothered.

GhettoPrincess (4) apologizes, saying "I feel really cold to this song as someone who’s not religious at all. Sorry!" I don't think anyone blames you sis! And evilsin (5) picks up on an interesting note, saying "Does this sound to anyone kinda... menacing? The piano makes me feel uneasy during verses." I didn't realize it before, but I can hear it!

76. City Lights
    [​IMG]
    Average: 5.029
    Highest Score: 7 (Robsolete, HollyDunnSomething)
    Lowest Score: 1 (send photo)
    My Score: 4

Aaaand we're back to our regularly scheduled scalping of self-titled.

The song details a night out on the town, which is fine until you remember...well, send photo (1) got the message: "Sis, you're like 14". evilsin (6) declines JoJo's invitation, saying "I can see where this track tries to go, but I'm not really feeling like going there". And TRAVVV (5) echoes send photo's comment, saying "'I’m on a high, I feel like I’m on medication' is a cringe lyric for a 13 year old, or anyone for that matter" but did say that it was "well sung and produced", although "there’s nothing special about the songwriting here. Reminds me a bit of Brandy’s Baby. In fact, a lot of the more filler-y tracks on this album give me 90s production and songwriting vibes, think Brandy or Robyn’s debuts".​

Music Is Life, Guy, evilsin and 7 others like this.
  11. My talent at hating her songs without knowing she wrote them continues!

12. High five to @Guy for sharing the highest scorer stage with me for the first song out.

Music Is Life and Guy like this.
  13. I gave City Lights a 7, not an 8. Don't know if that affects it's average.

Also, I would've provided commentary for Fairy Tales if I'd known I was a high scorer! It was one of the songs I enjoyed most from her debut, she sounds lovely on it.

Music Is Life likes this.
  14. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Oops, just typed it wrong in the write-up. Edited!

Music Is Life likes this.
  15. No worries, just wasn't sure if it would have made a difference to the score.

Music Is Life and RainOnFire like this.
  16. A very good start and glad the right Diane Warren track in this wins.

17. Damn I blinked and suddenly 1/4 of her debut was gone. Good riddance though.

18. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Moderator

Actually, you know what? Lemme dump these out too.

75. Yes Or No
    [​IMG]
    Average Score: 5.059
    Highest Score: 8 (Sprockrooster)
    Lowest Score: 2 (send photo)

Bye.

This one actually got some positive comments, with highest scorer Sprockrooster calling it "a bit sassy, a bit edgy. Loving it" and evilsin (7) calling it a "cute little bop". TRAVVV (2.5) acknowledged that it had "killer runs", but was "basically unlistenable". And slaybellz (4) said "that beat is a poor man's 'Peaches & Cream' by 112".

74. Homeboy
    [​IMG]
    Average Score: 5.088
    Highest Score: 10 (Sprockrooster, HollyDunnSomething)
    Lowest Score: 0 (Elysium)
    My Score: 6

Adios.

My favourite comment was from TRAVVV (4) who said "did we really need a track from a 13 year old white girl called Homeboy?" Kii! He did acknowledge though that the song had "great vocals and vocal production". RMK (6) also kiis: "Kii at the lyric about his voice changing".

Our highest scorers both submitted commentary, with Sprockrooster saying "This is sonically very similar to Ashanti's 'Still Down'. I am massive fan of Concrete Rose and still play quite often to this day. 'Homeboy' would have fit perfectly on this album. In fact I think it is better than 'still down'. A little bit more accessible and easy on the ears. Both songs were released in the same year and very of it's time, but still fresh today. Great discovery" and HollyDunnSomething adding "I had completely forgotten that I used audio software to slightly speed up this song in my iTunes, the original is so slow! It is a great song though, probably my favourite from her debut." (Really sis???). evilsin (9) also had some positivity to add, saying "Isn't this just nice? I really like the talking parts under the layers of belting".

Lastly, slaybellz (4.5) asks "Why does she sound like Kiely Williams from 3LW on this??".

73. Goodbye Say Never
    [​IMG]
    Average Score: 5.176
    Highest Score: 8 (Guy)
    Lowest Score: 1 (ohnostalgia)
    My Score: 7

Sayonara. (I actually like this one though, ah well).

Sprockrooster labels it as "good filler" (I actually agree), saying that it's "nothing really special, but also nothing offensive either". It's not a good single at all, but pads out the album nicely (that being said, only if the album was like 8 songs long). evilsin (5) said "this is more on the boring side for me with pretty standard dull melodies. Still okay though", while TRAVVV (7.5) was more on Sprocky's side, saying that it was his "favourite discovery of the rate so far", adding "I wish this album had more ballads. Perhaps they’re on the way. The key change took this from 7 to 7.5. It’s the little things, kids." Perfect Illusion whew? JoJo stays a trailblazer.

72. Use My Shoulder
    [​IMG]
    Average Score: 5.265
    Highest Score: 7 (GhettoPrincess, evilsin)
    Lowest Score: 3 (send photo)

Au revoir.

evilsin (7) said "Use my shoulder to KURAI ON! Cute" and TRAVVV (3.5) adds "I feel bad rating a Jo track so low, because the vocals here are amazing and so remarkable for her age. This is just not a good song. Age appropriate (unlike a good chunk of this album) but lacks a catchy melody".​

71. Keep On Keepin' On
    [​IMG]

Average Score: 5.353
    Highest Score: 8.5 (Robsolete)
    Lowest Score: 2.5 (Veeis)

Tschüss.

"Another relaxing but not impactful slice of pop/r'n'b amalgam that JoJo serves us" evilsin (5) says, while TRAVVV (3) keeps it short & sweet: "No thank you".

70. Back & Forth
    [​IMG]
    Average Score: 5.382
    Highest Score: 9 (HollyDunnSomething)
    Lowest Score: 2 (slaybellz)

Adjö.

evilsin (7) said it was "boppy" but "a weird track to end the album" (it was just a bonus track) and TRAVVV (5.5) also found it to be a bop, adding "She sounds her youngest here. I love the run at 1:46ish. These adlibs are extra but I adore them." Wish I felt the same sis!

~

So if you're keeping count, we just dumped out 10 of the 16 tracks on JoJo in the first 11 eliminations. Bloop!

The remaining tracks:
    Breezy
    Baby It's You
    Not That Kinda Girl
    The Happy Song
    Leave (Get Out)
    Weak​

Music Is Life, Guy, Robsolete and 5 others like this.
  19. Yes really! I love Homeboy, it's so good.

Also, think there's a typo in the average for Never Say Goodbye.

I bet I'm probably the high scorer for most of her debut. Back & Forth is a tune!

20. Oh wow that selftitled carnage isa bit too much.

Didnot view Homeboy as an early cut. Especially not my first 10. Guess I should immediately stop promoting Concrete Rose.

Oh and this having my shook:

@RainOnFire agrees with me. Now that is something you do not see every day. Let me ignore we are agreeing on filler and bookmark this anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.