Jon McLaughlin - Angst & Grace (7th album) | The Popjustice Forum

Jon McLaughlin - Angst & Grace (7th album)

Discussion in 'Potential next big things' started by londonrain, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Jon McLaughlin (also known as That Guy Who Originally Sang Beyoncé's Smash Into You And Once Opened For Delta Goodrem) has just released a bouncy little piano single:

I slightly prefer his melancholy side, though. My favourite song by him is Broken Hearted, which is bloody miserable:

Here's a "duet" of him and Beyoncé doing Smash/Smack Into You (his original version was called "Smack Into You" and she changed the title):

And just so there is an actual official video in this post, here's his duet with Sara Bareilles, "Summer Is Over":

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Sprockrooster and send photo like this.
  2. I love his work.

You Can Never Go Back, Things That You Say, Beating My Heart and Beautiful Disaster are amazing too!

Beautiful Lies is a bit weird on first listen. Especially that post-chorus. Maybe a grower.

londonrain likes this.
  3. Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of it yet - it's nice but it's not as immediate as, say, "Before You", which was the lead single from his last album. I quite like the post-chorus, though. It's a 7/10 at the moment for me but could pick up.

I'm also kind of hoping he grows his hair back out. He looks good with short hair but I always preferred the Beautiful Disaster look:
    [​IMG]

I'm glad there are other fans on PJ. Apart from your comment in the Demi rate and a couple of posts by @aaronhansome I don't know if anyone else has even heard of him, though!

(EDIT: Also @Full_Circle, @Cathal and maybe @Knightr634? There was a short period in 2008 when they all posted about him.)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    aaronhansome and Sprockrooster like this.
  4. If memory serves me well @ohnostalgia is also acquainted with him too. Not quite sure if she is a big fan.

5. Why didn't I get this tag either?!

But yeah, I love him

This being my favourite.

londonrain likes this.
  6. Also, he'll always be the guy in Disney's Enchanted to me.

7. I totally missed that (having never seen Enchanted) and only discovered it much later, so I always forget there's a connection.

8. I have, like, all but the most recent album but I rarely find myself in the mood to listen to his sort of music these days. Still, Beating My Heart was a bop in 2008. If I recall correctly, I did actually hear it on the radio a couple of times.

I had no idea about the Beyoncé connection. I see he released the song on an EP (that I don't own) titled Songs I Wrote and Later Recorded but Beyoncé's version says the songwriters are Beyoncé, The-Dream, Tricky Stewart, and Kuk Harrell?

[​IMG]

9. Come on guys! We can't just mention Beating My Heart without showing it!

Andy French likes this.
  10. It took me a while to get into OK Now, but it is a good album. Holding My Breath is my favourite of the albums because I tend to prefer his downtempo tracks, but he started to mix it up again on Like Us.

I thought Songs I Wrote And Later Recorded was done well before "Smack Into You". I don't have the EP either but the Amazon track listing doesn't have it and it's not on the tracklisting on his official website.

I think "Smack Into You" was actually recorded for OK Now but got dropped fomr the final tracklisting, The writers were credited as The-Dream, Tricky Stewart and Kuk Harrell, but not Beyoncé. As far as I can tell, Bey picked up the song, changed the word "smack" to "smash" and somehow got a writing credit out of that.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  11. Failopedia strikes again! Of course, after reading your reply I checked the Wiki page for that EP just to make sure I wasn't imagining it last night and the song has since been edited out.

londonrain likes this.
  12. I love the Beyoncé edit.

Shame his career never truly took off.

londonrain likes this.
  13. New single!

aaronhansome likes this.
  14. Beating My Heart is still an amazing song. He's got an incredible voice (honestly, he reminds me of an American Mika?), but I've never looked into the rest of his music.

The new track is cute.

aaronhansome, londonrain and Jeffo like this.
  15. He is so ridiculously attractive and he has a nice voice. Not into all of his music, but once in a while he has a song I love.

londonrain likes this.
  16. His music is perfect for when you want to listen to the color beige and I'm not trying to be insulting here, like sometimes it's just nice to put him on and zone out.

Andy French and UltimatColossus like this.
  17. I feel like he occupies a similar space as Howie Day, Mat Kearney, Ingrid Michaelson, etc. Like, it doesn't exactly break new ground but the people behind it are clearly talented and trying to say something which I'll always appreciate, and it's not outright offensively dull like Jason Mraz or J*ck J*hns*n

aaronhansome likes this.
  18. Yeah, it's all lovely stuff and he's very obviously talented but it's never going to like, rock your world you know?

Andy French likes this.
  19. New song. Unsurprisingly it's a piano ballad.

Also, the new album’s title has been confirmed.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    aaronhansome likes this.
  20. The album is out!

Beautiful Lies isn’t on it, but Lost is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.