Joni Mitchell

Archives vol 3 cd is on Amazon for less than £50. Prices have been fluctuating so worth monitoring if you’ve not bought it. Definitely worth the investment (I’m repeating myself, I know, but I’m guess I’m old enough to qualify as a nag).

I've been playing a ridiculous amount of Joni this year and I feel like the only person who kinda loves Wild Things Run Fast nn? It's super fun to listen to once you reframe it as a "pop" experiment. Okay so the lyrics aren't her most engaging. They kinda border on embarrassing at times even. I mean "hot dog darlin". Joni girl....

However that slick yuppy 80's jazzy sophisti-pop thing going on in Chinese Cafe, Ladies' Man and Moon at the Window etc is catnip to me. I get early Sade, Steely Dan, basically music that is most appealing to me. It's like she took the blueprint of Edith and the Kingpin's sound and extended it for a full-length album. Even the rock moments kinda go off in their early MTV new wave glory. Obviously not near her highest achievements, but I don't think the record is a complete write off either.

I've always heard of Joni and I've loved Blue for a few years now but never really listened to her discography. Recently I decided to listen to her other albums, taking my time to fully discover them over the last few weeks. So far I've listened to Clouds, Ladies of The Canyon and Court and Spark. What should I listen to next? Ladies is my favorite so far!

I've always heard of Joni and I've loved Blue for a few years now but never really listened to her discography. Recently I decided to listen to her other albums, taking my time to fully discover them over the last few weeks. So far I've listened to Clouds, Ladies of The Canyon and Court and Spark. What should I listen to next? Ladies is my favorite so far!
I’d go Song to a Seagull (as you seem to like the folk ones) then I’d go to For The Roses then I’d advice listening chronologically as you get to hear the Changing soundscape and genres.