Justin Timberlake - Everything I Thought It Was

It might be due to its placement on the album, but I really am struggling to enjoy Paradise much. It's a bit of a slog. But that section of the album has most of the worst tracks so it might grow once I move on to shuffling the album rather than listening in order.

My Favorite Drug is the clear standout for me, as well as Sanctified and Fuckin' Up The Disco.

is it just me or does his voice sound like it has more digital alterations on it than before? He sounds a bit more weathered, which fair, he's older.
He was bragging how Mirrors took years to make and Drown took minutes and they used his vocals from the demo.... you can tell it does sound almost like an AI singer you see on tiktok with all the effects added to make the vocals high quality from a basic demo.

It might be due to its placement on the album, but I really am struggling to enjoy Paradise much. It's a bit of a slog. But that section of the album has most of the worst tracks so it might grow once I move on to shuffling the album rather than listening in order.

My Favorite Drug is the clear standout for me, as well as Sanctified and Fuckin' Up The Disco.
Are you a regular *NSYNC listener? I think Paradise is their best ballad.

Last edited:
I screamed at this drive by read in the Pitchfork review:

There’s little on Everything I Thought It Was that piques curiosity, even though its author is utterly convinced of its importance. “A singular piece of art,” Timberlake recently declared while unboxing a vinyl edition with an alternate cover. “If there’s any film buffs out there like myself, this is a Fellini reference.” At least the singer resisted saying that something else was 8½.

“A singular piece of art,” Timberlake recently declared while unboxing a vinyl edition with an alternate cover.
I watched the TikTok to see this quote in context and he's literally just talking about how they opted for a Parental Advisory warning sticker on the plastic wrap instead of printed on the cover art.

I understand having vitriol for this man but this is just grasping at straws nn

Have listened to the album in full. To be honest, it was better than I expected. The main problem is that it has 18 tracks and is nearly 80 minutes long! Who the hell is making albums like that anymore?

To be fair, I don‘t he’s ever done an album under 60 minutes so I don’t know why I’m surprised!

I'm not seeing anything that awful about the quote? He sounds like any other film lover? Everyone who is a buff will have quotes and say things exactly like this. I do it all the time and can confirm nobody has ever vomited when I did it.

There’s no grasping at straws. These are just additional details that just further cement his dickheadness-ness.

This is the quote that is vomit inducing - “If there’s any film buffs out there like myself, this is a Fellini reference.”
I think… maybe you might need to loosen up a bit.

I'm not seeing anything that awful about the quote? He sounds like any other film lover? Everyone who is a buff will have quotes and say things exactly like this. I do it all the time and can confirm nobody has ever vomited when I did it.
If somebody vomits at something so harmless, maybe they should see a doctor.

The one thing I will say though: Fellini image for the cover as a bit much considering how well worn Justin's new material is.