Justin Timberlake - Man of the Woods | Page 173 | The Popjustice Forum

Justin Timberlake - Man of the Woods

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by UndercovaSista, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok but Montana/Breeze Off The Pond/Morning Light/Say Something are actually really great. I guess they don’t excuse some of the trite that’s on there but it’s not as dire as I was expecting.

2. Let's not pretend that Justin doesn't have a great voice. I wouldn't say "the best around," but the boy's definitely got soul.

K94, Lapras, lushLuck and 8 others like this.
  3. BML

BML

This makes me so sad.

4. Ddd sis, I know you wanna be hyper-positive to contrast what you view as unfair negativity, but there’s a whole lot of shit to unpack and deconstruct about the ethics of using soneone’s image, agency in the age of technology, etc. One could even argue that this is uncomfortable out the gate for a white man to fetishize and exploit the existence of a black man he mocked now that the latter has no ability to say no in death. Not to get all Black Mirror writer, but even from just seeing the obvious red flags that intersect across ethics of technology, race, and Justin’s gross behavior to Prince, it plainly reads as ghastly and crude.

fancygreen, ThisIsRogue, LTG and 29 others like this.
  5. Dddddd this reminded of Black Mirror as well. Literally a white man exploiting the ghost of a black man. Burn him!

Modeblock, Overdose, lushLuck and 4 others like this.
  6. What a vile piece of shit.

7. Fair enough, ye have a problem with it but I think outside of the people in this thread the whole world is gonna love it.

8. Prince is synonymous with artistic control - to use him specifically is such a ghoulish abuse of power. I really hope this does not come to pass because it's moving beyond the bounds of kii-worthy messiness and into something chilling.

9. After giving this a few plays there's about a half dozen songs on here that are not only boppable but sticking with me a bit - Montana, Breeze off the Pond, Say Something, Midnight Summer Jam, Higher Higher, and I guess Livin' Off The Land. So I'm going to get more use out of this than 20/20 Pt. 2 at least. Shame about pretty much absolutely everything else about this campaign.

10. So I see we have no issues then with Justin blatantly using the image of a man who hated him and thinking he'll cop some points by playing to the home crowd? I don't think the public are going to eat it up like you imagine especially there in Minnesota because they really are protective of Prince. The receipts that will be pulled out in the discovery process of the backlash will be glorious.

11. LiK

LiK

He really should have just dropped everything yesterday and avoided this kinda rollout campaign.

Based off first day sales he's predicted to do around 300 - 350k according to HDD.

http://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=310380

12. Yeah, I think youre wrong. This will not go over well. No one is here for this.

Nobody Asked (And It's Not Ok)

Euphoria and Digital_Fossil like this.
  13. Y'all have fun if you think it will go over well.

fancygreen, A&E, joe_alouder and 27 others like this.
  14. I feel like they leaked this hologram thing to test the waters. Now that there’s severe backlash they won’t go ahead with it.

15. [​IMG]

fancygreen, SMG, ohnostalgia and 25 others like this.
  16. I think they were trying to drum up hype, and given how tone-deaf everything else has been I doubt they expected backlash and had an alternate performance ready to go. Guess we'll find out in 24 hours.

17. Of course I could just be underestimating how tone deaf and unaware JT and his team are

18. Don't forget that trusty NFL and its progressive, socially-conscious ways.

19. Can someone hijack the hologram projectors to display a 13 minute loop of Janet Jackson singing the opening of “Son of a Gun”?

Ha, ha, who, who
    Thought you'd get the money too
    Greedy motherfuckers
    Try to have the cake and eat it too

“I chose to not get into it — I really don't dive into any of that stuff with anybody” - and this, Justin, is why harassment and prejudice of all kinds continues to this day. Silence is complicity as far as I’m concerned.

There simply are no words for this tone-deaf level of privilege at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.