Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience | Page 171 | The Popjustice Forum

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by citoig, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. won tickets to the show on Tuesday, really excited as I loved both 1 & 2 but couldn't really justify the ticket price. Is there a support on this tour? 6:30 doors with JT starting at 8:30 seems a little silly if not.

2. 'Not a bad thing' up to 8 on US iTunes now! Praying it keeps climbing. How are people winning tickets to see him? I'm jealous!

3. It was just a retweet thing for me! I was really surprised. Just exceptionally lucky (& it helped that it was a local, small Twitter page!)

4. This album is so infuriating. Most of the songs literally end at around 4 and a half minutes and then they add a completely superfluous 3 minute part that has no relation. Honestly, there's a really great album in here begging to get out.

5. Okay, I can get slightly more on board with this!

Don't worry about it! Regardless, I'm staying till the end, because I'll be damned if I don't see 'Mirrors' live. What a song.

6. It depends, some of the songs really warrant the extra time.

7. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

The midday thing is only a tradition in some parts of England. The rest of the world pull pranks all day. (It's not called "April Fools' Morning" is it?)

8. Nonetheless, there was plenty of us there that didn't find it "funny", my fag-hag was about ready to kill somebody!

9. I went to the show in Birmingham on Friday night - absolutely incredible. I'm still on a high now. I was a little gutted he'd cut Don't Hold The Wall, Strawberry Bubblegum and True Blood for these shows are they're some of my favourites but the rest MORE than made up for it.

First the visuals were something else. Lovestoned was mesmerising from start to finish. I haven't seen a stage so full of life outside of a Kylie show. Then he was absolutely on point. His dancing is the nuts, he sounded awesome, he was funny and charismatic with the audience. And all of this was just the first half. The second half blew mind - the strobes lights, THE LIFT THING WHAT. I was in awe at the whole thing.

I can't pick out one highlight. I was so exhausted by the end, I forgot he hadn't done Sexyback and then whomp - amazing. Rock Your Body, Until The End Of Time, Tunnel Vision, Let The Groove Get In, Murder (I cut this from my tracklisting, not anymore!). I say this fully aware of the gravity of such a statement but...better than Beyonce. It was incredible.

Please tell me a DVD has been filmed, especially on a night with the full setlist.

10. Damn, I want to go now.

11. Was the show visually interesting? Every live performance of him I've seen in the past few years has been him and the Tennessee Kids (*groan*) just standing around.

12. The staging is very clever, and does some wonderful things. However, you generally don't take your eyes of him, he makes its visually interesting, he dances he's arse of.

13. Massively. I only have DVDs of his first two tours but this show compared to the Futuresex/Lovesounds one is 50 times better. Really arresting visuals that make the stage come to life, it was all perfectly built to make a massive continuous spectacle. I would say it was the best show I've ever been to, but that would put him above Kylie and that ain't gonna happen. But it was fantastic. I hope he does a live album too as some of the arrangements were epic, especially his older stuff. He changed up things, made kinda mediocre songs sound like the best thing ever (Not A Bad Thing, Murder and Only When I Walk Away were a revelation).

Basically this show had absolutely everything I love in a show, and then some (marked down for the lack of Kylie).

14. I went to see him in Birmingham as well and really thought it was one of the best pop shows I've ever seen. He was on top form with his performance and it all just worked. When he spoke he was warm and funny and not cold or so into himself that he wasn't on this planet like I've seen before. He danced and sang his ass off for over two hours and even the intermission worked, it managed to give us a slight breather and reflect on the first hour whilst still being visually interesting.

The visuals were what got me. It was such an interesting show to observe, the screens and the staging was so well done and I'd love to see how it would come over on a DVD although I imagine that it wouldn't be able to capture it all. The setlist was almost perfect, the omissions were fine as I think the pacing was perfect. Saying that I could have done without the covers and actually had Don't Hold The Wall and True Blood - those two in particular are two highlights of the album for me.

15. Does anybody know why he cut those songs? He cut 6 in total. He finished by 11pm so part of me wondered if it was that stupid UK rule which means stuff has to finish by then. They're all mentioned in the setlist in the booklet so it's a bit weird.

16. I can only imagine it'd be for the pacing of the show and audience reaction. I noticed that the audience responded better to FutureSexLoveSound than many of the recent album tracks as well. It's the blessing and curse of printing the setlist in the programme, I really like it but it's so often wrong. On his last tour he printed the setlist including Boutique In Heaven there but I don't think that he ever performed that track.

I also looked it up he cut True Blood a long time ago and he cut Don't Hold The Wall after the end of the US leg.

17. Even if a few songs were cut out, the show still lasted 2 hours 20 minutes and was compelling and entertaining from start to finish. You really can't ask for any more than that. I've seen artists with far more extensive back catalogues than Justin who didn't play for anywhere near as long.

18. It's a bit of a shame that Don't Hold The Wall and Blue Ocean Floor are two of the cut tracks... Sad face.

19. Blue Ocean Floor was never there, so I didn't miss that one. I don't think it would have fit this show anyway, despite how amazing it is.

20. Why is Not A Bad Thing suddenly taking off? It's dire. I'm not even a big fan of Mirrors and Suit & Tie now but part 2 lacks anything half as good as either of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.