Justin Timberlake

It's hard to forgive when Janet's career went from having a #1 hit to being blacklisted & Britney's image was completely ruined so whilst I do think it's never too late to acknowledge your mistakes and grow from them, a half arsed apology thrown together for damage control is not enough, they deserve more explanation than that

What a sterile attempt. Try laying out exactly what role you had in Britney and Janet becoming pariahs of pop culture barely a decade ago. Show some understanding of your contribution to the deeply misogynistic witch hunt they had to endure. To lump them into some blanket statement on "the system" is just a layered way of blaming it on exactly that

Tbh i'm surprised he's apologised at all and even more so that he mentioned them by name so i suppose that's... crumbs

she/her
Someone on Twitter reminded me this week of the time during one of his concerts in 2007 he started (or finished?) What Goes Around by singing Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" and changed the lyric to "I remember when she lost her mind...". There was a potato quality video of it back then which I can't find now. It's the asshole moves like that and subtweeting Prince and Janet on the same song (who the fuck does that?) that he specifically should apologise for, not some vague half-apology about being a product of a flawed system. That's... not what makes you an asshole.
This happened several times in 2007, disgustingly.

What a sterile attempt. Try laying out exactly what role you had in Britney and Janet becoming pariahs of pop culture barely a decade ago. Show some understanding of your contribution to the deeply misogynistic witch hunt they had to endure. To lump them into some blanket statement on "the system" is just a layered way of blaming it on exactly that

Tbh i'm surprised he's apologised at all and even more so that he mentioned them by name so i suppose that's... crumbs
He's probably terrified that if people actually understood the extent to which he exploited misogyny and racism to get ahead, they would cancel him instantly and that's where this vague, non-committal blame deflecting instead of actually taking responsibility comes in.

Meh. As others have noted, because his treatment of Britney was not an isolated thing in 2002 but rather he continued to take cheap shots at her for years, as recently as calling Vegas residencies for has beens (I'm sorry we all know who that was directed at) I'm inclined to find this rather disingenuous. He's proven time and time again to be an asshole and this apology exists only because he doesn't want any bad taste from this documentary and the social media posts it brought to taint whatever his next project is.

However, it's all moot isn't it because the apology isn't for us, its for Britney and she stopped caring years ago. She clearly has no issue with him. So I guess its sort of a shoulder shrug. The shit he's said will never sit right with me, but I'm also not sure being outraged on her behalf is productive either.

The Janet issue is separate and should have been treated separately.

I don't know, he instigated a lot of the public backlash by exploiting their breakup and painting her as a "cheating whore" like the article says. I don't mean to use misogynistic language, I just want to convey exactly how doggedly he went after her. So since he used the public sphere to tear her down and raise his own profile, his apology should also be public. Even more than Janet who he condemned by doing nothing when he was clearly complicit in what happened, he actively sought to destroy the public's perception of Britney.

RainOnFire

Staff member
If Lana was able to open up Microsoft Word to write out her White Woman Manifesto, then surely the least Justin could've done was not use the Notes app for an apology that is supposed to be the first step in undoing 20 years worth of damage. Sis.

I will say that I was initially stunned because he actually mentioned Britney and Janet by name, but the more we've all discussed it, the less impressed I am. I also really don't like that he shoehorned Janet into it when that's a topic that needs its own separate analysis and apology.

It is good that he finally put an apology but like many people have said, it's very standard/beige apology with no feeling or even going into specifics of what he was sorry for.

And yes lumping Britney and Janet both into the apology seems disrespectful.

I do get this is probably damage control since the documentary gained a lot of exposure, probably more so than anyone thought it would.