K-Pop (General Discussion)

I honestly think that 2NE1 are the only group that have even a remote chance of doing anything in the US. Big Bang maybe second, but that's about it. I do see them working out more than any other group I can think of. That's something I guess.

And you're right, SNSD is such a stretch, but I'm very, very curious as to how an actual US campaign from them would play out.

Only thing that keeps Big Bang from US/Europe advancement is their lazy language skills. Years of promoting in Japan and only Seungri is half-decent at Japanese (or is it Taeyang? One of them!)

As T.O.P is concentrating on acting this year I hope he will star in some comedy. He's hilarious and doesn't even need a script!

SNSD's attempt at breaking into American market is interesting to watch. Meanwhile Wonder Girls' movie premiered and it seems no one cares...

Seungri and Daesung can speak Japanese decently, but the other 3 seem lost half the time.

If Big Bang produced more songs like Tonight, they could easily gain success in the west. As much as I love Haru Haru and Lies, I don't think a lot of people would enjoy that sound.

If you really want to talk about breaking into the west, play Doctor Feel Good to a group of people. I have yet to find a single person that hates that song.

R

Resi12

So while T-ARA are having the life sucked out of them still, 2NE1 went on a holiday to the Philippines.

The CEO is simply greedy, T-ARA need to speak up. I feel so sorry for them.

CCM's CEO is ruthless, though. He said that KARA should be black listed after their label drama. If he wanted KARA, who he has no connection to, to be black listed - imagine what he'd do to T-ara.

That fact that he probably has that much power in the industry is most likely the reason no one will speak up against him. That's probably the reason he lets the girls complain, because no one is going to do anything about it.

BIG BANG could be big in the US no doubt, but if they wanted to they would all need to sit down and really learn their English. Though Taeyang is pretty much fluent now, he's been properly at it for years.

I cringe at the fact that The Wanted are getting airplay over there......The Wanted, though since the US is pretty much devoid of all boy bands I'm not surprised they're at least getting a look in; so imagine how well a group could do if the material was actually...good.

I agree about GD&TOP having a lot more potential for US domination, again I just cringe at LMFAO's success (despite liking a few of their songs). But YG isn't going to take the risk anytime soon, he just wants to effectively 'rebuild' BIG BANG at the moment.

They'll definitely benefit from sitting back and leaving 2NE1 to pave the way anyway.

The things is though, I can see the UK and Europe in general being a lot more welcoming to K-pop acts, and not just ones already tailor made to the US market.

H

Hitori

SloMover said:
CCM's CEO is ruthless, though. He said that KARA should be black listed after their label drama. If he wanted KARA, who he has no connection to, to be black listed - imagine what he'd do to T-ara.

T-ara are both lucky and unlucky to have him as their boss. I just want him to give the girls some ample rest.

GD&TOP has everything to be big in Europe... YG doesn't seem to be interested in Europe, though, and I can't blame them for that.

I'd love to know the ticket sales for the Berlin Beast show. It must be selling okay, cause they cancelled the rest in Europe. Not sure how popular VIVA is in Germany, but they did promote the concert a bit.

hitori said:
SloMover said:

T-ara are both lucky and unlucky to have him as their boss. I just want him to give the girls some ample rest.

I don't understand this whole T-ARA Drama. If they are truly overworked why don't they pull a KARA?
Get on the news and explain about unfair practices of the company?

T-ara openly say what's wrong with their relationsip with company, but CCM simply doesn't care. I don't see them pulling KARA, because CCM is much much more powerful company than DSP.

KKS has too many connections, ties with Mnet etcetera... They probably should do it but it would be messier than the KARA affair and when they got loose from CCM they would have face many obstacles promoting their stuff.