K-Pop (General Discussion)

Re: Korean Pop

Horrible name but great idea!

The final rounds is also scheduled to air on America’s MTV channel, of which the host will be famous rapper, Akon.

That's awesome if that is true. Something music related on MTV and it has a connection to K-pop. I would watch it for sure!

Has anyone listened to the U-Kiss mini album yet? I think it's already out there if I'm not mistaken. I really like the teaser they put out.

Well KARA is having huge success in Japan but it looks like SNSD is doing well too!

Girls' Generation takes No. 4 spot on Oricon monthly singles chart

Top Korean singers Girls' Generation have placed in the top 5 on the prestigious Oricon monthly singles chart with their debut single “Genie.”

According to Oricon's September chart, the girls' album "Genie," which went on sale in the country on September 9, sold over 75,276 copies to come in at No. 4 on the chart, while selling about 44,097 records during the first week.

"Genie" recorded high sales during the second and third week as well, selling 17,792 and 75,276 copies, respectively.

The nine-member girl group branched out to the Japanese pop scene in August, holding their showcase on August 25 and claiming the title as the first Korean girl group to have ranked in the top 5 spots on the Oricon weekly DVD chart with their DVD "‘少女時代到 ~日記念盤~New Beginning of Girls' Generation."

They also entered the Oricon daily charts at No. 5 a day after “Genie” went on sale and have promoted the track on various local TV shows.

Oricon Top 5 Singles - September 2010:

1. Arashi -  Lφve Rainbow (591,071)
2. EXILE - Motto Tsuyoku (182,180)
3. UVERworld - Qualia (79,129)
4. Shōjo Jidai - GENIE (75,276)
5. Ayumi Hamasaki - crossroad (73,961)

H

Hitori

I'm (positively) scared about Gee. I think it will do better than Genie in Japan. Like it was a monster hit in Korea.

Random: I want a 4Minute-2NE1 collaboration.

I've never really been into After School, but this remix is pretty epic, in my opinion. I never really look for lyrics in a K-pop song, either but these are pretty nice!

The rapper who's name I don't know but sure someone will inform me of is awesome. Lots of emotion in her voice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex-S_goEBsY

Oh my God. *falls over dead* "Copy & Paste" is AMAZING. I just can't right now...
In other news, I'll be listening to a crap ton of kpop tonight after I go tag happy.

H

Hitori

Jawshx said:
I've never really been into After School, but this remix is pretty epic, in my opinion. I never really look for lyrics in a K-pop song, either but these are pretty nice!

The rapper who's name I don't know but sure someone will inform me of is awesome. Lots of emotion in her voice!

I love that song. Everything about it. Even the remixes.

The first rapper is Kahi. She's also the leader.
The second rapper in the second verse is Bekah.

No words can express how much I love After School. I still listen to Ah! every now and then.
http://youtu.be/3ySAtg4CHLk

hitori said:
Jawshx said:

I love that song. Everything about it. Even the remixes.

The first rapper is Kahi. She's also the leader.
The second rapper in the second verse is Bekah.

No words can express how much I love After School. I still listen to Ah! every now and then.
http://youtu.be/3ySAtg4CHLk

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! They're both great.

I guess I never really delved into After School because I hated that song by them, 'Bang'. I could never get into it.. it seemed a bit tacky to me.

'Because of you', has certainly made up for that, though.

H

Hitori

I love Because of You too. it is all sorts of amazing. Everything from the styling, to the song, to the dance moves. I really love them as a seven-piece. I think everything as perfect for the group that time.

hitori said:
I love Because of You too. it is all sorts of amazing. Everything from the styling, to the song, to the dance moves. I really love them as a seven-piece. I think everything as perfect for the group that time.

I've liked all their singles so far. I NEED a full album already. Hell, I'll even settle for a mini at this point!

And what is going on with Kahi's solo debut? Wasn't that supposed to go down last month? What's that hold up?

'Ah' is pretty catchy, actually. I'll give it a couple more listens before making proper judgement, but so far so good.

I just gave 'Bang' another listen. I like the rap, but still can't get into the song overall. It sounds like a weird Korean version of Gwen Stefani's 'Hollaback Girl' (probably just me, to be honest)

'Because of You', is still my favourite and you wont be able to top that I don't think. haha

Jawshx said:
I just gave 'Bang' another listen. I like the rap, but still can't get into the song overall. It sounds like a weird Korean version of Gwen Stefani's 'Hollaback Girl' (probably just me, to be honest)

That's exactly why it's amazing. Plus, it's far less cringe-worthy than Hollaback can be.

citoig said:
Jawshx said:

That's exactly why it's amazing.

Agreed! I'm such a sucker for pop songs with percussion production.

citoig said:
Jawshx said:

That's exactly why it's amazing. Plus, it's far less cringe-worthy than Hollaback can be.

Seems everyone around these parts likes it, I dunno why it doesn't do anything for me.

Also, is it just me, or are the group f(x) a bit crap? I don't really get their style.. is it meant to be like street or something? I've only really heard 'NU ABO' and their version of 'Chocolate Love', though.. Neither left much of an impression on me.

Sorry, I'm obsessed with most of the Korean girl groups, but just looking into any that I haven't bothered listening to yet to decide whether they are worth my time..

I love f(x), but they can be underwhelming. I'm still waiting for SM to give them better material though. Weren't they first marketed as the female Shinee?

Nathaniel Drury said:
I love f(x), but they can be underwhelming. I'm still waiting for SM to give them better material though. Weren't they first marketed as the female Shinee?

Basically. In the same way SNSD were made to be the female Super Junior.

I agree. They need better material, they need a great single that will make me love them.

I haven't heard any new about them for a while. Are they still around? Anything music coming out from them soon?