K-Pop (General Discussion)

Re: Korean Pop

The Korean girl groups bother me at times. It seems like they're forced into roles a lot more than the guys are. I get tired of seeing a group of seemingly "helpless and pretty" girls, with one "bad ass" tossed in and labeled as the rapper. The only groups that get away with it are 2ne1 and Brown Eyed Girls. That's mostly due to the fact that every member in those groups can hold their own.

Ceir said:
The Korean girl groups bother me at times. It seems like they're forced into roles a lot more than the guys are. I get tired of seeing a group of seemingly "helpless and pretty" girls, with one "bad ass" tossed in and labeled as the rapper. The only groups that get away with it are 2ne1 and Brown Eyed Girls. That's mostly due to the fact that every member in those groups can hold their own.

That's just South Korea as a society at the moment, though. Not to stereotype or generalise a country, but a lot of these groups are geared towards men, or 'ajusshi' (Men in their 30's-40's) who like "helpless and pretty" girls. Women are still seen as subservient as a whole in Korea.

So, girls like 2NE1 and BEG who challenge that view are a welcome change, and hopefully more groups like this will appear in the future.

I read an article that was posted on Omona They Didn't which said that while the Korean girl groups are marketed/targeted towards Korean males, majority of their Japanese fans are female. I found this really, really interesting.

You know, while we sometimes bang on about them being put into a submissive role - Japanese females see them as inspirational and liberating.

SloMover said:
I read an article that was posted on Omona They Didn't which said that while the Korean girl groups are marketed/targeted towards Korean males, majority of their Japanese fans are female. I found this really, really interesting.

You know, while we sometimes bang on about them being put into a submissive role - Japanese females see them as inspirational and liberating.

That is strange, because to me Japan has just as many "pretty and subservient" girl groups such as AKB48. Although at least in Korea, most girl groups' members are over 16, I heard one member of AKB48 was only 11 when she debuted. They are always portrayed as submissive, as well as a lot of females in Japan's media for older men's pleasure. (Though it happens in the West, too to a lesser extent. Britney's 'One more Time', school girl outfit anyone?

Luckily there are REAL women in Japanese pop like Namie and Utada who change this image.

SNSD's aegyo drives me crazy sometimes. I can't believe that 9 young people in general can live together without being catty bitches sometimes. And for some reason, I see Jessica as being a divuhhh and Sooyoung and Hyoyeon hysterically terrorizing the dumber ones.

It would be very refreshing to see them a little tougher in the future.

H

Hitori

SNSD seems to be the 'perfect girl group' image-wise.

2007102508453210021yi2.jpg

H

Hitori

The third Japanese single of SNSD will be a Japanese version of Into The New World. Unconfirmed yet though.

Mr Telephone Man said:
That is why I prefer the sexy HBIC's After School...they are simply amazing.

I prefer After School to SNSD so so soooo much but I dunno, mix both of them together and you'd get the PERFECT girl group.

Can you imagine the attiude and fierceness of After School with the singing and dancing talent of SNSD? Too amazing to comprehend.

After School has, I think one too many members that can't sing and/or dance particularly well but are mainly in the group for their looks/personality. Jooyeon, UEE, Nana (even though I love her)...

H

Hitori

THIS IS THE MOST HEARTBREAKING SNSD VIDEO EVER. (I literally cried too when I first saw it)

SNSD's First K-Chart #1 Win & Encore

They had a car accident on their way to the performance. They came in late for the show but they still performed. Then they won their first K-Chart #1 after.

Sales-wise, the group is really 'up there.'

Studio Album Sales (Estimated)
Girls Generation (First Album) - 120,000
Baby Baby (Girls Generation Repackage) - 80,000
TOTAL: 200,000 copies sold
Oh! (Second Album) - 200,000
Run Devil Run (Oh! Repackage) - 51,000
TOTAL : 251,000 copies sold

Mini-albums (Estimated)
Gee - 150,000 (South Korea only)
Tell Me Your Wish (Genie) - 170,000 (South Korea only)

SloMover said:
Mr Telephone Man said:
That is why I prefer the sexy HBIC's After School...they are simply amazing.

I prefer After School to SNSD so so soooo much but I dunno, mix both of them together and you'd get the PERFECT girl group.

Can you imagine the attiude and fierceness of After School with the singing and dancing talent of SNSD? Too amazing to comprehend.

After School has, I think one too many members that can't sing and/or dance particularly well but are mainly in the group for their looks/personality. Jooyeon, UEE, Nana (even though I love her)...

Even though they don't have much material compared to other girl bands, After School is my favorite Korean girl group. I just love these bitches.

Unfortunately I think they might have peaked with Because Of You. As someone said earlier, that era was simply perfect. The right look, line-up and image.
I'm still in shock that the core group has never released an album or even a Mini Album.

I was disappointed with Orange Caramel but i'm hoping Kahi's and the other sub group debuts are stellar.

After School could probably be as big if not bigger than SNSD if they would just release a full album already! They're probably my favorite Korean girl group, all of their singles have been incredible and their sexiness and dancing is top notch.

And I know I asked this on the last page, but really, WHEN IS KAHI COMING?!?! I need her solo now!
hitori said:
The third Japanese single of SNSD will be a Japanese version of Into The New World. Unconfirmed yet though.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Really? Come on, just release an original song already! I was willing to give them Gee because it's their defining hit, but I was hoping after that they would make like KARA and 4minute and start releasing original Japanese music. Hope that rumor is false.

By the way, I was reading an article earlier and it said that after "Jumping" drops in November, KARA will be releasing their first original Japanese album! Those girls are moving quickly!

H

Hitori

After School + Brave Brothers = Hit Song.

I want my moody After School back if they do a full group comeback. ZE:A's All Day Long could have been an After School song in my world.

I wish Pledis would debut a fierce set of guys, like a male version of After School.

ZE:A is shit and doesn't belong anywhere near my precious After School!! haha.

I love Brave Brothers and After School though, they always come up with some crack together.

As much as i loved BANG! All Day Long should have gone to After School. It's tailor made for them and i still have a feeling that it was offered but then passed.

Uee and Jooyeon might be usless singers but their acting is superb. Love Jooyeon's " i'll cut a bitch! " stare in Because Of You.