K-Pop (General Discussion)

IN2IT - SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

I blame the gay agenda.
id4cwWvTGDZRC.gif

Dddd the song is kinda just okay but THE VIDEO. THE PERFORMANCE. THE SHEER LEVEL OF CAMP. Yesss kings, rock up extremely late to Pride Month in your disco twink eleganza.

he/him
Not sure what the issue is or really what's 'ironic' about it.

Whether ARMYs are obnoxious or not. And they are.

But there's no denying KPop has gone mainstream in the US before JPop, Bollywood, Mandopop, Desi... And BTS did it. Is that 'ironic'? Not really, unless there's some other context involved.

That's just how I read it. I could be totally clueless, and I don't know what the context of that tweet was.

Unless this some stupid ass idiotic statement about how BTS is cooler because they're all Korean... if so... unfollow that Tweeter.

'with true asian representation' part is whats bugging everyone, because West already sees Asia only as China, Japan & Korea. What is even true Asian represenation? It sure as hell ain't 7 Korean men singing over production inspired by Western music with rappers just copying black rappers flow. Western music has already been influenced by Arabic guitar riffs ages before anyone even knew BTS. And, Bollywood has had a massive impact everywhere across the world and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Anyways the post came because of the ongoing beef between Armys & Blinks where the former are saying that BLACKPINK aren't even Korean because they have 3 foreign members and comments saying 'AND THEY'RE NOT EVEN FROM SEOUL JDSJFFJSFJS' because the Korean member is actually from Seoul. They're just pathetic what they've been doing past couple of weeks in particular because of Square Up's global success. But what to expect from a fandom filled with ex Directioners & 5SOS fans.

'with true asian representation' part is whats bugging everyone, because West already sees Asia only as China, Japan & Korea. What is even true Asian represenation? It sure as hell ain't 7 Korean men singing over production inspired by Western music with rappers just copying black rappers flow. Western music has already been influenced by Arabic guitar riffs ages before anyone even knew BTS. And, Bollywood has had a massive impact everywhere across the world and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

Anyways the post came because of the ongoing beef between Armys & Blinks where the former are saying that BLACKPINK aren't even Korean because they have 3 foreign members and comments saying 'AND THEY'RE NOT EVEN FROM SEOUL JDSJFFJSFJS' because the Korean member is actually from Seoul. They're just pathetic what they've been doing past couple of weeks in particular because of Square Up's global success. But what to expect from a fandom filled with ex Directioners & 5SOS fans.
Got it. And I agree. I mean, Ravi Shankar is a hero of mine... so.... in the grand scheme of things... yeah... anyway, Thanks.

Last edited:
Not sure what the issue is or really what's 'ironic' about it.

Whether ARMYs are obnoxious or not. And they are.

But there's no denying KPop has gone mainstream in the US before JPop, Bollywood, Mandopop, Desi... And BTS did it. Is that 'ironic'? Not really, unless there's some other context involved.

That's just how I read it. I could be totally clueless, and I don't know what the context of that tweet was.

Unless this some stupid ass idiotic statement about how BTS is cooler because they're all Korean... if so... unfollow that Tweeter.

Utada Hikaru is SHOOOOKKKKK

She/her
The BTS tweet is embarassing because like @Serg. mentionned, the tweet seems to limit "true asian representation" to Koreans, and that's just plain wrong to begin with considering how vast Asia actually is, but also a really poor attempt at undermining a group like Blackpink who has foreign members, or if we go back in the past when K-Pop wasn't as sensational yet, groups like Girls Generation or 2NE1 who also had foreign members and had some sort of impact on America as well.

It's confusing because... if anything, these groups I've mentionned do in fact make for a better "true asian representation" because of how diverse the groups are? I'm so confused????

The gag is even if you dismiss those groups, Wonder Girls did make headway in America too and they were "all Koreans" like BTS if that's what matters to OP. While far from being a huge success, it's probably what started those "Well, maybe they can be exportable in the West as well..." thoughts regarding other K-Pop groups.

Honestly, they make me so tired.

eccentricsimply

Staff member
they/them
Oh, so that's what it was about? A few months back they used the same argument to claim Zayn wasn't enough Asian representation for not being born in Pakistan and of course because he doesn't fit in their "true Asian" definition.

It's just fucking exhausting because I didn't want to resent the group when I actually enjoy them, but the fans truly make it fucking impossible to feel any joy towards their success.