K-Pop (General Discussion)

she/her
I very much doubt that Winter is trying to project an "I don't want to be here" vibe ww
I do think a lot of young idols struggle to find the line between a "cool, aloof and intimidating" look and a "bored, over it and kind of annoyed" one.
But even having said that, I personally don't think it applies to Winter that much, I actually really like her expressions. Or lack thereof.

It would help if they freed her from the full bangs. I felt a lot of energy from her before them, she has subtle expressions and that's fine, but you can't cover half her face then.

Every gen there has been that member of a girl group that has just given off a icy / vacant vibe that has caused a lot of discussion. Jessica and then Sunny in SNSD, Krystal in F(x) being some SM examples. I wouldn’t be Surprised if SM “gives” them a Ice Queen persona to play. I got the vibe from Irene too but she normally always pulls it out of the bag in her performances.

I haven’t payed much attention to Girls yet, but I noticed Winter and all of the Aespa girls had improved so much since performing in front of crowds which was endearing to see. I would’ve struggled being an artist and not having crowd interaction from the start of my career.

Not only do i not understand what people are talking about with Winter while she performs (especially compared to the rest of the Aespa girls,) but Winter fancams are especially popular; that "Step Back" fancam is up to 13 million. Is that 13 million people seeing if she looks aloof and bored? Probably not. I want receipts of what the other girls supposedly do live that she apparently doesn't because i'm at a loss. To me she's just fierce and acting like a star. Shrug.

Not only do i not understand what people are talking about with Winter while she performs (especially compared to the rest of the Aespa girls,) but Winter fancams are especially popular; that "Step Back" fancam is up to 13 million. Is that 13 million people seeing if she looks aloof and bored? Probably not. I want receipts of what the other girls supposedly do live that she apparently doesn't because i'm at a loss. To me she's just fierce and acting like a star. Shrug.

I don't think fancam numbers from an SM artist are indicative to how any one user personally feels about a single idol's performance. But also I don't think anyone has trashed Winter in like the past 5 pages so I feel like this response is like, very defensive/pointed? idk.

But if it's about what the other girls do vs what Winter doesn't do? They emote, mostly.

And that's been a consistent comment since their debut really. It's just the other side of the Ice Queen vibe! It works for some but not for others etc.

I don't think fancam numbers from an SM artist are indicative to how any one user personally feels about a single idol's performance. But also I don't think anyone has trashed Winter in like the past 5 pages so I feel like this response is like, very defensive/pointed? idk.

But if it's about what the other girls do vs what Winter doesn't do? They emote, mostly.

And that's been a consistent comment since their debut really. It's just the other side of the Ice Queen vibe! It works for some but not for others etc.
I completely disagree and it is pointed, but not to anyone in here; to the ongoing discussion of Winter’s supposed expressionless performances everywhere on the internet, which I don’t agree with. I’ve yet to see the other girls emote in any different way than her, and I think they all perform really well for their concept.

ok here's some Billlie news! So their comeback next week isn't a typical cb, it's a special collaboration project thing with their labelmate Yoon Jong Shin who is like an oldie OST guy idk so hopefully the ajummas will get Billlie a hit!!! pleek!!!! but stans have sleuthed we're getting at least two songs from it: 'Patbingsu' and 'Highway Romance'. and pre-orders are available for this too if you're interested.

These discussions of Winter being a bad performer are usually by obsessive kpop fans that make “top 10 worst 4th gen performers!” videos on YouTube.

Does her intentional pretty/ unbothered look work for all performances? No. Are idols overworked and rarely sleep during grueling promotions? Yes. They’re bound to have “off” days.

Also I think everyone here agrees so, preaching to the choir etc, ddd.

ok here's some Billlie news! So their comeback next week isn't a typical cb, it's a special collaboration project thing with their labelmate Yoon Jong Shin who is like an oldie OST guy idk so hopefully the ajummas will get Billlie a hit!!! pleek!!!! but stans have sleuthed we're getting at least two songs from it: 'Patbingsu' and 'Highway Romance'. and pre-orders are available for this too if you're interested.

Praying their version of Highway Romance is as good as this.

Slice of Life

Staff member

HotAcceptableHarpseal-size_restricted.gif