K-Pop (General Discussion)

I know Candy is arguably the most iconic K-Pop song of all time
Funny, I always thought the name of the song was I Am The Best.

giphy.gif

She/her
Dispatch is running a story on the removal of Chuu due to power abuse.

The angle they're going with is "Is it power abuse or a worker's right to ask for better conditions?"

The initial contract she had (and the other girls *still* have from what I understand) is lowkey terrible and basically means the girls will constantly get in debt??? They need to get outta here asap.

Slice of Life

Staff member
Dispatch is running a story on the removal of Chuu due to power abuse.

The angle they're going with is "Is it power abuse or a worker's right to ask for better conditions?"

The initial contract she had (and the other girls *still* have from what I understand) is lowkey terrible and basically means the girls will constantly get in debt??? They need to get outta here asap.

Is Orrery asleep? I need them now more than ever omg. I do not understand a thing said in this tweet FFFFFFFFFFSGEGSHSHEH!!

EDIT: WAIT OH MY GOD

@BBC when I catch you!!!!!!!!

Slice of Life

Staff member
The usual team is working on a translation, I think they just want to be very thorough and diligent as to not spread misinformation.

Just a little example of how terrible their contracts are, though:

I just saw, unnie OMFG!!!!!!! This has to be illegal, right?? RIGHT??????? Now imagine the other girls’ WITH ZERO INDIVIDUAL SCHEDULES????? They’d forever be in debt????
F9MEfj7.gif

She/her
Also, side note, but if I understood the numbers correctly, the LOONA project as a whole *has* technically been paid off? This is something that a lot of people speculated and argued back and forth on, so it's nice to see it confirmed. But since the girls are basically under glorified slave contracts (and are paying 5:5 costs despite the profits only being 7:3), it means that individually the girls (except Chuu) are still in debt to the company and would pretty much continue to be so until the end of their contract in 2025. But yeah the project has been paid off, technically, since BBC has made more profit than what LOONA has cost them over the years.

Ooof, alright here we go, official translation by Team Subbits:

Oh wow that is a truly fascinating read and such a big expose to the BBC's operation.

I'm happy Chuu can stand her ground and manage to break free from that terrible contract, I hope other members can win their cases. It must be sucks so much for them, especially with the comparably lack of individual activities.

It's pretty interesting too to see how behind the scene works, from the Flip That MV shooting that takes a complete day to finish to how direct an idol can be towards their upper staffs. This is no shade to Chuu, but I was under impression that majority of idols are completely powerless, especially with the recent case of physical / mental abuse with Omega X.

I hope this can leads to many idols reconsidering their contracts or new trainee (and their parents!) to be more careful to what they sign for.

She/her
It's pretty interesting too to see how behind the scene works, from the Flip That MV shooting that takes a complete day to finish to how direct an idol can be towards their upper staffs. This is no shade to Chuu, but I was under impression that majority of idols are completely powerless, especially with the recent case of physical / mental abuse with Omega X.
Well, I don't think they can actually, and that's kind of the basis BBC is using to say that Chuu was abusive to them, but to me it just goes to show that Chuu couldn't take it anymore and she didn't know what to do to get through the CEO (which she could not get in touch with directly, instead she had to get through a Team Lead who would have to liaise between them). At some point, she even had to threaten to take her life and write an exposé of what they've done to her so she can get an answer? I just think she really couldn't take it anymore.

I do feel bad for the Team Lead who doesn't really have the executive power to do anything that would truly appease Chuu since that's beyond his paycheck anyway, but is caught between her and the CEO. Chuu definitely gets a little too sassy at times. It's out of place, but don't quite read as abusive to me, especially since her behavior is sort of a reaction to being abused herself by her contract and the CEO.

Well, I don't think they can actually, and that's kind of the basis BBC is using to say that Chuu was abusive to them, but to me it just goes to show that Chuu couldn't take it anymore and she didn't know what to do to get through the CEO (which she could not get in touch with directly, instead she had to get through a Team Lead who would have to liaise between them). At some point, she even had to threaten to take her life and write an exposé of what they've done to her so she can get an answer? I just think she really couldn't take it anymore.

I do feel bad for the Team Lead who doesn't really have the executive power to do anything that would truly appease Chuu since that's beyond his paycheck anyway, but is caught between her and the CEO. Chuu definitely gets a little too sassy at times. It's out of place, but don't quite read as abusive to me, especially since her behavior is sort of a reaction to being abused herself by her contract and the CEO.

Oh ofc I don't think she's being "abusive", it's probably a culmination of all her stress and distrust. Reading it again, I can understand Orbits frustration about this article because why worker protesting for their rights are deemed as villain point dd

he/him
Thanks for sharing the translation @Vixen, that was super interesting to read. Chuu is pretty amazing. Sure she might seem like a brat in some of the messages but I can't even imagine how frustrated the poor girl must have been feeling.

It's honestly pretty frightening to imagine what might be going on at companies that seem even less legit than BBC.