K-Pop (General Discussion)

he/him
Maybe start here x

May I suggest…

There are a good number of NCT album tracks with a vibe similar to Best Friend Ever, but aside from them, iKON’s last title track before leaving YG has a sound you might appreciate…

I thought it over and I’ve determined that if I had to recommend a mini album to somebody who hates the current boy group soundscape, I would recommend NCT 127’s WE ARE SUPERHUMAN…
It’s arguably the release that deviates the most from their established sound…
The title track was originally intended for SHINEE, so I think second gen fans in particular will appreciate it…

This isn’t an affront towards @clowezra who I adore dearly (and I’ll welcome any excuse for the General thread to have a few posts in a row about boys, so thank you for that, bestie!), but I do have to chuckle that in the year of our lord 2023 we are still running with this narrative that all bg music is melody free clangs and bangs and aggressive noise. Having to rate All In and Back Door in KSOTY a few years ago really did a number on some of us, huh?

Much love to you angels for taking the time to get back to me on this, and thank you so much for the suggestions! Only songs I had heard prior (and was already a huge fan of) were Superhuman, The Realist and Beautiful Beautiful, but I enjoyed legit every one of these, especially Cinema, 10 Months and BUT YOU!

Nah but you're right @boombazookajoe I was being flippant, almost every boygroup song I hear in the KSOTY rates has me giving a 'woah I can't believe a modern boygroup did this' commentary, and there's always a handful of tracks I find myself that I like each year, but these suggestions in particular have me thinking I'm definitely missing a trick here.

For what it's worth I do keep an open mind, but I feel like every boygroup song I see posted on the General thread I give a go with, just so happens to be consistently be in line with the aggressive sound I referred to that I don't vibe with. I don't know if that's just bad luck on my part or I just need to do a little more research! Will definitely check out more from the groups that have been suggested at least, I definitely need to shake off my misconception that consistent male k-pop music died with the OG legends like TVXQ, SHINee, 2PM etcetc.

especially Cinema
This is why I adore you.
For what it's worth I do keep an open mind, but I feel like every boygroup song I see posted on the General thread I give a go with, just so happens to be consistently be in line with the aggressive sound I referred to that I don't vibe with. I don't know if that's just bad luck on my part or I just need to do a little more research! Will definitely check out more from the groups that have been suggested at least, I definitely need to shake off my misconception that consistent male k-pop music died with the OG legends like TVXQ, SHINee, 2PM etcetc.
In fairness to you, that’s probably because most of the boy discussion ends up taking place in the Underrated Boy thread except for like … NCT and other big big groups, so I see where maybe that misconception could maybe be if you are only cherry picking a few songs and getting assaulted with each pick ddd.

Much love to you angels for taking the time to get back to me on this, and thank you so much for the suggestions! Only songs I had heard prior (and was already a huge fan of) were Superhuman, The Realist and Beautiful Beautiful, but I enjoyed legit every one of these, especially Cinema, 10 Months and BUT YOU!

Nah but you're right @boombazookajoe I was being flippant, almost every boygroup song I hear in the KSOTY rates has me giving a 'woah I can't believe a modern boygroup did this' commentary, and there's always a handful of tracks I find myself that I like each year, but these suggestions in particular have me thinking I'm definitely missing a trick here.

Not to toot my own horn but the Top 10~20 of both editions of my rate is also a good starting point!

It’s not bad luck on your part…
Companies are selecting bombastic title tracks because they go over well with international fans…

ohnostalgia

Staff member
She/her
@clowezra are you still accepting recommendations? I’m out on an errand right now but I’d love to take up the challenge. I just need to read through what was already recommended to you. I’m correct that the original request was for songs similar to the new Dream single?

I hope this means Min Heejin working with Red Velvet.

gloria-maria-gl%C3%B3ria-maria-matta-da-silva.gif

LSM shopping out his shares last year was the writing on the wall, so this doesn't come as a shock. The worst part of this acquisition is ARMY brainrot reaching critical mass, but I've long grown immune to the borahae. Sorry to their prefrontal cortices! Maybe KWANGYA's housing crisis will be solved when my faves reunite with the A&R they poached from SM over the past five years.

he/him
Is this a bad thing though? The groups from HYBE haven’t really been making bad music. They seem to know what they’re doing.
To me, it is in a business perspective because you never want a big player being even bigger in an already tricky industry – competitions won’t be fair (hell, they will be even worse – HYBE groups, no matter how good, are in the top of charts not exclusively because of the songs tbh), processes will become more homogenous and this is due to have an effect on the creative output as well when all these companies have to report to the same CEO (who loves to have musical input!)

Creatively, it will always have an effect – even though HYBE are doing very well at making their own labels have their own styles, but for example, most of them are resorting to the same writing camps, to the same writers, and doing those songs that have a 10+ number of people in the credits so…I can’t help to feel skeptical about consuming most products from the same source!

About SM, almost 15% is enough to make some noise, and we’ve already have been seeing some stuff happen in that company so hmmm! Let the mess continue I guess!!

EDIT: another point I want to add is that there’s no innovation without competition!!! I wonder how will translate in the case of HYBE acquiring more and more labels…