K-Popjustice Charts | April 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts | April 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Apr 21, 2019.

1. I know that I rag on the Korean GP's taste like everyone else but this shows me that sometimes they get it right and we get it wrong. I love Bom and Stars Over Me but the real crown jewel of this excellent mini is without a shadow of a doubt....

It came up on shuffle earlier today while I was making my way through San Francisco to get to my visa appointment and I wound up playing it on a loop for quite a while. It is just incredible.

2. I had a feeling Holland was gonna get forgotten about. He releases his second actually really good song and it’s of course on the last day of March so when April comes, it’s too late. I guess it’s good he at least bubbled under.

3. Oh, I didn’t think anyone else would vote for Hope Not so I left it out of my ballot. My bad, unnies.

Oleander and Slice of Life like this.
  4. 《MAIN CHART》
    〈ALBUMS〉

[​IMG]

SHE'S FINE
    Heize
    Stone Music Entertainment

24 points

Last Month's Position: 9
    Peak Position: 9
    Months on Chart: 2

Voters:
    7 - @junglefish, @Squashua
    6 - @Reboot
    4 - @vague

Heize's latest album, She's Fine, spends another month in our top 15. Well-deserved.

She's Fine is one of my most favourite K-Pop albums of the year and a year ago, I didn't even like Heize all that much ddddd. Oh how the tables have turned. But yeah, She's Fine is one delightful album and if y'all haven't heard it yet, what are you doing with your life? Get on with it juseyo.

5. 14

[​IMG]

BLOOM BLOOM
    The Boyz
    Creker Entertainment

26 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 14
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    8 - @junglefish
    6 - @Coming Century
    5 - @OspreyQueen
    4 - @Wills
    2 - @Slice of Life
    1 - @Sanctuary

The Boyz return on our album chart with their second single album, Bloom Bloom.

Bloom Bloom contains just three songs - the single Bloom Bloom, and album tracks Butterfly and Clover. We'll talk about Bloom Bloom (the single) more extensively in a separate post. *hint hint*

Butterfly surprised me with its R&B elements. I didn't think The Boyz had the range for this level of maturity already ddddd. I love it. Last song, Clover, is a slice of high energy pop. It kinda sounds like a throwback song. I can totally imagine this as an H.O.T track from the early 2000s. Kii. It's fun but nothing to write home about.

I really like the spring vibe of the whole album. The songs complement each other very well and make a cohesive body of work. Not bad, boyz.

6. 13

[​IMG]

HOLLAND
    Holland
    Holland Entertainment

28 points

Peak Position: 13

Voters:
    10 - @bbynewyear
    8 - @Sanctuary
    6 - @RUNAWAY
    4 - @OspreyQueen

Holland finally entered our main chart ddddd. If he can't do it in the song chart, he'll do it in the album chart. Iconique.

Holland is the self-titled debut mini album of Holland. It contains five songs. Three of those songs are not new - Neverland, I'm Not Afraid and I'm So Afraid. It's nice that these random singles have an album to call home now. I have found a new appreciation for I'm Not Afraid and I'm So Afraid. They are really good songs. The production is stellar, especially on I'm So Afraid. This is something I'd like to hear more from Holland.

I still don't like Neverland. Sorry, Holland. Last song, Up, is so fun! It's the perfect companion piece to Nar_C. There's something very J-Pop about it.

This is a solid debut album from Holland. I live for how expensive these productions sound. And his vocals have truly improved since Neverland. Holland have made it known that he's in the process of looking for an entertainment agency. To be honest, I'm kinda sad because I thought Holland was already doing fine on his own. It must've been hard for it come to this. You've done well, Holland, and I can wait for you to find more success. Hopefully you'll be signed to a company that won't stifle your personality and sexuality.

bbynewyear: Compared to uptempo ‘Nar_C’ (10) the album itself has a surprising amount of slow moments with a strong anthem type of energy… basically this is something that would be comfortable on the UK charts, perhaps he should try his luck here. ‘I’m Not Afraid’ (6) encompasses all of that, then he changes his mind on ‘I’m So Afraid’ (10) which is this kinda techno-reprise take on the former which actually elevates ‘I’m Not afraid’ from pretty okay to pretty interesting. The two played together probably feels great live. This isn’t a My Melody/My Sunday type deal, nor is it a simple remix, it’s a smart re-contextualising of the two tracks! It almost forces you to like both and not just one. Also Robyn could probably cover both of these and feel at home.

Every time ‘Neverland’ (7) starts I think ‘Egoist’ is about to play. It starts with this navel gazey, kind of wandering energy that can make you feel pretty melancholy, it has these Ta-Ku infuences that are appreciated. Then it picks up in places and kind of makes me wish it didn’t (would have been bolder that way), then dips back into wandering. It’s a weird one for me but I like where it goes.

‘Up’ (10) is the last track, it looks to Nar_C and mirrors its umtempo-ness but adds an actual uplifting energy to it. After the three previous tracks, it’s needed and I’m thankful, this album is arranged like a sandwich, two energetic slices with a melancholic middle. So I guess it’s trying to create a ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ type of feeling. Nice. It worked.

7. ddd I kinda want to comment @Slice of Life bby, but I have nothing to say about these songs/eliminations

ryjm, Kuhleezi, vague and 2 others like this.
  8. He

He

I keep forgetting about Holland even though I want to support the good sis.

9. Probably for the best, im not sure i could handle one of your vocal read downs of Holland ddd, not yet.

Same! Which is why I made a special effort for this rate since I’d only really sat down with nar_c before. I was pleasantly surprised. But news of him looking for an agency is a little worrying!

ohnostalgia, He, evilsin and 4 others like this.
  10. ...Great gowns, beautiful gowns...

ohnostalgia, bbynewyear, ryjm and 5 others like this.
  11. 12

[​IMG]

VERI-ABLE
    VERIVERY
    Jellyfish Entertainment

28 points

Peak Position: 12

Voters:
    10 - @OspreyQueen
    9 - @Sanctuary
    6 - @Slice of Life
    3 - @Coming Century

At least my babies managed to chart on our Main Album Chart. Little victories, etc.

VERI-ABLE is the second mini album of VERIVERY. It contains five songs: the single From Now and the album tracks, Love Line, All I Do, Get Ready and Light Up.

From Now, as I've said before, is amazing and is only growing on me. It's the perfect follow-up to Ring Ring Ring. Second track, Love Line, is a cute little romantic song. I appreciate that it shares the same retro vibes of From Now. Third song, All I Do, is an 80s love song and I STAN. It kinda reminds me of Bruno Mars' Versace on the Floor asfhgksfg BUT I SWEAR IT'S GOOD GUYS. It also reminds me of the soundtrack of Reply 1994 which is one of my most favourite Korean dramas.

Fourth track, Get Ready, is a proper bop and honestly sounds like an actual single. It's very Seventeen's Very Nice but make it retro. Last song, the appropriately titled Last Night, is the most ""modern"" song of the album. It's a tropical house song which is yeah, not the most exciting thing ever. But I still love it because it reminds me of WINNER's more palatable tropical bops.

VERI-ABLE is another win for VERIVERY. This group is seriously exceeding my expectations with their every release. I just love their sound and I hope that they don't abandon it completely. It's a real breath of fresh air.

ThighHighs, Sanctuary, Vixen and 20 others like this.
  12. And just missing the top 10 is...

[​IMG]

TROUBLE
    EXID
    Banana Culture / Tokuma Japan Communications

30 points

Peak Position: 11

Voters:
    9 - @BEST FICTION, @eliminathan
    7 - @vague
    5 - @ryjm

Trouble is the debut Japanese album of EXID. And probably last. FUCK THIS SHIT.

Trouble contains 10 songs - 5 original Japanese songs and 5 Japanese version of previous EXID songs. Let's just talk about the original songs, shall we? These songs are The Beauty Is Guilty!?, Trouble, Cookies & Cream, Vaporize Yourself!, and Memories.

First, can we talk about these amazing song titles? Like, I'm gagged. I don't even need to listen to these songs. I already stan. The Beauty Is Guilty!? is a cute bop but I think the song's mixed rather amateurishly. The vocals sound... weird. At least LE unnie came through with another amazing rap verse. Title track, Trouble, is another cute affair. And I'm not just throwing the word cute because I find the song adorable. The song is really serving cuteness with these vocals. It's honestly weird listening to this version of EXID ddddd. The production is stellar though and the rap is a highlight too.

Cookies & Cream's verses are amazing but that chorus is... weird. Vaporize Yourself! is definitely my favourite of the original songs. The production is so complex which is something I'm always here for. The vocals finally don't sound weirdly recorded too. Final song, Memories, is the ballad moment of the album. I don't know how to explain it but the song really does sound like a J-Pop ballad ddddd. I'm living for that post-chorus breakdown though.

Lastly, shoutout to the good sis Every Night. This song has, what, four versions already??? And every version is iconique. We stan a chameleon.

I don't think I'll come back to Trouble sadly. It's just not the album that I want from EXID. Hopefully their Korean album this month will deliver. Give me another Eclipse, girls!

ryjm: I imagine this will tank as I don’t think anyone really acknowledged it in the main thread, but Trouble is a pretty fantastic album. The majority of the album is comprised of Japanese remakes of EXID’s various bangers, but the new tracks are equally good. SCREAM! at the diabolically nonsensical track names (serving random word generator realness). The Beauty Is Guilty!? (even the graphic designer seems confused at this title) is an almighty uplifting bop, Trouble is a deliciously smooth jam, VAPORIZE YOURSELF is a banger but like what the fuck is that title!? Memories is a tad trite, and somewhat beneath them (it’s very SM station…a cheap hollow bop). Cookies & Cream is just weird, some parts sound unnervingly jarring but I’m kinda obsessed with the its demented vibe.

eliminathan: I can't believe Hani and Jeonghwa are leaving what is this hellscape that we live in. Solji being unable to perform with all of them for so long because of her illness and then when she finally comes back two of the members leave, I hate it. (SOL: DDDDDD this rant. I love it.)

ThighHighs, Sanctuary, Vixen and 22 others like this.
  13. Still heartbroken that the worst version is the one that ended up being the single dddd.

junglefish, ryjm and Slice of Life like this.
  14. TOP 10 TIME!!!

[​IMG]

NEWTRO
    DIA
    MBK Entertainment

31 points

Last Month's Position: 3
    Peak Position: 3

Voters:
    10 - @FunkyButChic
    9 - @GeiPanda
    6 - @He
    5 - @Vixen
    1 - @ryjm

DIA snatch another top 10 placement with their latest album, Newtro. Congratulations, girls!

Outside of the amazingness of Woowa, I still very much like No. It's honestly one of my most favourite album tracks of 2019. DIA really found a sound that works for them in 2019 and I hope we hope more of this from them. It suits them so well.

ryjm: WAKE UP KOREA. You gave MOMOLAND even more wins with their embarrassingly transparent, low-energy rehash yet you ignored the best interpretation of Bboom Bboom yet! Everything on this mini still slaps and I am more than willing to fly to South Korea and personally see to it that DIA get an N.Flying/EXID moment with WooWa. (SOL: Maybe next comeback, unnie. T__T)

15. 9

[​IMG]

SPRING
    Park Bom
    D Nation Entertainment

38 points

Last Month's Position: 2
    Peak Position: 2

Voters:
    10 - @Deja-Boo
    9 - @He
    8 - @ryan_riot92
    6 - @vague
    5 - @Oleander

YATH TALENT.

Park Bom's first single album, Spring, also spends another month on our chart. I'm so happy.

I still very much use all of this, no shame. Yes, all of Spring, My Lover and Shameful. Bom's vocals sound the best on My Lover. And Shameful continues to be a bop of epic proportions.

Please don't forget to vote for the repackage version, re:BLUE ROSE, for the next edition of the K-Popjustice Charts. xoxo

16. Vaporize Yourself (love the title, want it on a t-shirt) is sooooooooo ODD! Some parts of the song literally sound, uh, conversational? Like William Shatner 'singing' Rocketman. This might stick with me for a minute...

vague likes this.
  17. I had the busiest weekend ever and a binch is tired. I promise to finish the album charts tomorrow, unnies. It's a holiday here anyway. Thank you for your patience.

Sanctuary, Rem, evilsin and 17 others like this.
  18. Omg I totes misread this cover as NEWTRD ... as in “NEW TURD/NEUTERED”...

19. 8

[​IMG]

FAR FROM THE MADDING CITY
    Oohyo
    Mun Hwa In

40 points

Peak Position: 8

Voters:
    10 - @FunkyButChic
    8 - @eccentricsimply, @Coming Century, @Oleander
    6 - @Cotton Park

Miss Oohyo debuts on our album chart with her second full-length album, Far From The Madding City. I frankly didn't expect this album to reach this far. Iconique.

I really don't know much about Oohyo. I just remember stanning the hell out of her 2017 single, Pizza. And I kinda remember Krystal of f(x) stanning her too? But don't quote me on that. Kii.

And I love this little album??? This album is kinda depressing. It has a sad quality to it. Yes, even her ""bops"" have an undercurrent of sadness to them. Her voice alone kinda makes me wanna cry already ddddddd.

Oohyo is often tagged as a synthpop singer but on Far From The Madding City, I don't think synths are as prominent than I expected. I actually hear a lot of piano and guitar and strings and horns even too. These instruments perfectly match the mood of her vocals - airy, soft, sad.

On my first listen, I think my favourite tracks are Pizza (of course ddddd), the single Tennis, the classic-sounding Toki Tall, and the wonderfully produced Swimming.

If you enjoyed Yerin Baek's Our love is great, I think you would greatly enjoy Far From The Madding City too. The Little Heizesters will find a few faves here too.

20. 7

[​IMG]

HAPPILY EVER AFTER
    NU'EST
    Pledis Entertainment

40 points

Peak Position: 7

Voters:
    7 - @Coming Century, @Cotton Park, @eliminathan, @Slice of Life
    5 - @Sanctuary
    4 - @PopZeitgeist
    2 - @Oleander
    1 - @vague

NU'EST (as in the whole group) debut on the K-Popjustice Charts with their sixth mini album, Happily Ever After. And I'm so happy. My boys deserve all this love.

NU'EST's last mini album, Canvas, was released way back in 2016. Since then, the group has experienced quite the resurgence after four of the members joined Produce 101 Season 2. Member Minhyun even made it to the final group, Wanna One. But now, Minhyun is back as a NU'EST member and everything is right in the world again.

Happily Ever After is composed of seven songs - six group songs and one Minhyun solo. I've always thought NU'EST has one of the most best boy group discographies in all of K-Pop. Re:BIRTH, the group's first studio album is one of most favourite boy group albums of all time. And with Happily Ever After, NU'EST once again gave us a quality album. This album is dripping in luxury.

The soundscape of Happily Ever After doesn't really stray from that of NU'EST W's mini albums. So if you're like me who also loved NU'EST W's albums, you will definitely enjoy Happily Ever After too. Although, yes, I admittedly would've loved NU'EST to be explore more soundscapes. But hey, the album still sounds good.

My favourite tracks include Bet Bet, Universe, Bass and Fine.

I'm really excited for more NU'EST music in the future. I'm really excited to hear Minhyun singing decent songs again after all the shitty music he was given as a Wanna One member ddddd. I'm really excited for whatever Baekho produces in the future. The future is bright for these boys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.