K-Popjustice Charts | April 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts | April 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Apr 21, 2019.

1. And speaking of Yerin Baek...

[​IMG]

OUR LOVE IS GREAT
    Yerin Baek
    JYP Entertainment

43 points

Last Month's Position: 8
    Peak Position: 6
    Months on Chart: 2

Voters:
    10 - @RUNAWAY
    8 - @FunkyButChic, @Cotton Park, @Deja-Boo
    6 - @Oleander
    3 - @vague

NawT this album actually charting better on its second month. The talentry,

Our love is great is Yerin Baek's second mini album and yes, it is still such a rush to listen too. When I'm stressed, I just put this on and suddenly I feel better already. If y'all are looking for a relaxing album, better give Yerin Baek's Our love is a great a listen or two. xoxo

2. Indie/Alternative Talent won!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    ohnostalgia, Rem, evilsin and 7 others like this.
  3. Wait ... Oohyo has an album out? "Papercut" Oohyo (the only song I know by her)? Lemme check this out real quick.

Slice of Life and He like this.
  4. He

He

I totally fell in love with this album after someone posted it. I also stanned Pizza hard back in 2015-2016. I would have given it full marks. Also Heize's. I'm a mess this month.

Oleander and Slice of Life like this.
  5. Dddd I totally forgot to vote for NU'EST but I've been hammering the mini all week - it's pretty flawless (and a massive step up from NU'EST W's last mini).

Cotton Park, vague and Slice of Life like this.
  6. I might check NU'EST's album if I haven't already ( I might have and it was so forgettable, I just don't remember slsldlddf ) just because Baekho got buns for days xoxo

7. Oohyo is new to me, I like that Pizza track quite a bit... feels like something Moon Boots might produce.

He and Slice of Life like this.
  8. Ddd the way my votes begin collapsing right before the Top 10.

It's hard to be a boy group stan!

Oleander, ohnostalgia, vague and 5 others like this.
  9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MAP OF THE SOUL: PERSONA
    BTS
    Big Hit Entertainment

45 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 5
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    10 - @Wills
    9 - @eccentricsimply, @Cotton Park
    6 - @ryjm
    5 - @PopZeitgeist
    4 - @Sanctuary
    1 - @OspreyQueen, @Slice of Life

This was a bit surprising to me. I honestly wasn't expecting them to break the top 10, much less reach #5 but I guess with April being such a slow month for releases, BTS managed to do this without making much of an effort.

And I'm... very pleased nñn

Being super honest here, I thought the past albums since Wings have been complete messes. They are not entirely bad and there's always a handful of songs that I can vibe to - except for Love Yourself: Her - but they lack any type of cohesion and the bad tracks are completely awful. With Persona I think they took a step in the right direction. Are the highs here as high as the ones in Tear, for instance? Not by a large mile. Does it come close to the Brilliance that was The Most Beautiful Moment in Life Pt. 1 and 2? It could never. But it makes a lot more sense as an album than the rest of the stuff they've released and for that I'm thankful.

Like I said, I don't think the good things here that good - EXCEPT FOR HOME, MISS HOME SWEETIE - and I think they just further went into a sound that comes across as safer than when they actually took risks but I much prefer that than the likes of Best of Me, So What and Magic Shop which, for me, are like... the unholy trinity of shit b-sides. Boy With Luv is the best title they've released since Spring Day, Make It Right and Mikrokosmos do their jobs well, and Jamais Vu has admittedly made me scream REMEEEEDYYYY in my bedroom a few times.

The highlights for me are by far Home that joined Paradise and Pied Piper as my favorite songs from post -2016 BTS, Dionysus in all its insanity that lead to a fucking awesome performance to watch and Persona, a great optimistic sounding track to a fairly happy and lighthearted album.

As much as I know they are never going to IMPRESS me again with their music, I'll take more of this and less of Her, thank you!

ryjm: A surprising return to form after the diabolical conclusion to the Love Yourself series (boy did that go off the rails). Persona has much tighter quality control (perhaps due to the more condensed track listing after several bloated releases). The overall soundscape is far less bombastic and much more restrained – creating a chilled yet uplifting ambiance. Boy With Luv, 소우주 and Make It Right are the holy trinity. Persona is a lit intro to the mini, Home is standard BTS, Dionysus veers into trashy territory and Jamais Vu could easily be scrapped, but overall it’s a solid release.

10. 4

[​IMG]

[X X]
    LOOΠΔ
    BlockBerry Creative

62 points

Last Month's Position: 1
    Peak Position: 1
    Months on Chart: 3

Voters:
    10 - @Vixen
    9 - @ryjm
    8 - @PopZeitgeist
    7 - @Love Deluxe, @He
    6 - @GeiPanda, @ryan_riot92
    5 - @vague
    4 - @Oleander

Third month in the top 5!

After a two-month stay on the top of our album chart, LOOΠΔ's latest mini album, [X X], drops three spots to number 4. Still such a strong showing for the girls. Congratulations!

ryjm: Like it’s predecessor, [X X] continues to stand the test of time and somehow becomes even more enjoyable after so many repeated listens. I’ve said it before, but everything is just perfection; the songs are crafted with such meticulous detail and our girls serve some magical nymph vocal realness. Their dreamy soundscape will never grow old, what absolute goddesses.

11. And now we go to the real battle...

BLACKPINK vs. IZ*ONE vs. Twice...

[​IMG]

HEART*IZ
    IZ*ONE
    Off the Record Entertainment

160 points

Peak Position: 3

Voters:
    10 - @Coming Century, @Reboot, @Love Deluxe, @Empty Shoebox
    9 - @PopZeitgeist, @vague, @Wills, @SloMover, @Slice of Life
    8 - @Rem, @Vesperly, @ohnostalgia
    7 - @GeiPanda, @ryjm, @OspreyQueen, @Twinkle, @BEST FICTION, @RUNAWAY
    6 - @Kuhleezi
    3 - @Oleander

IZ*ONE return on our album chart with their second Korean-language mini album, HEART*IZ. And I'm kinda obsessed??? This is so good omfg.

Apart from the perfection that was La Vie en Rose, IZ*ONE's music pre-HEART*IZ just didn't speak to me. Their first Korean mini album was literally trash. So I was really shqqk to my core when I discovered that HEART*IZ is not only listenable... it's actually, like, really really really good.

First song, Hey. Bae. Like it. (this song title is sending me for some reason sdjhfgjh), is the perfect start to the album. It's so breezy and the girls' sweet vocals truly complement the song's lightness. Third track, Highlight, is IZ*ONE's most interesting song yet. This is something I can imagine LOOΠΔ releasing. The production is stellar. Even the rather simple chorus works so well.

Really Like You is the type of girl group ballad that I love ddddd. It's a guitar-led ballad sung beautifully by the IZ*ONE girls. The production reminds me of 2NE1's Lonely. Airplane is a return to boppery and I feel like this would suit fromis_9 too. The last original Korean song, Up, is also pretty solid. That chorus is a rush.

The Korean version of IZ*ONE's Japanese songs, Nekoni Naritai and Gokigen Sayonara, are cute too. I kinda like them better sung in Korean if I may be honest ddddd.

I'm really impressed with IZ*ONE's musical output. Other Produce 101 groups like I.O.I and Wanna One didn't really have the strongest of discographies so I'm just glad that IZ*ONE aren't following that path. HEART*IZ is a winner.

ryjm: After an underwhelming debut mini (which was pretty much all trash bar the title track), this is a notable step up. Kii at Airplane literally sounding like a TWICE song – I had my music on shuffle and was totally tricked into thinking I was listening to a TWICE track I had never heard before (I felt betrayed). Highlight is phenomenal and quite rightfully deserving of its title, the true masterpiece of the mini. Even the more “cutesy” songs are enjoyable bops, 해바라기 is a competent opener, 하늘 위로 is sevring me some Yoshi island realness and 고양이가 되고 싶어 is all kinds of bliss even with the iconically awful cat line (like what even!? – HyunJin is shaking). I’m just glad that the quality of their music is increasing with each release.

12. ddd I forgot I ended up voting for this despite my constant dragging of them

13. HEART*IZ is a really pleasant album. I just wish their album tracks would be as good as their singles as some of it sounds really juvenile still.

14. It’s already been a few months since we met
    How come you don’t even know my name?
    My name, my name,
    What’s my name?

My name

MY Name

MY NAME

You don’t know ma name

WHAT’S MA NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEE?

[​IMG]

15. He

He

Dddd MIANHAE, UNNIE!!!

16. I never though't I'd say this, but TWICE for the win! Let's get this bread.

[​IMG]

Oleander, evilsin, vague and 10 others like this.
  17. Pretty sure Twice has got this in the bag but that album was..........................

Slice of Life likes this.
  18. phenomenal.

thank you for letting me finish it for you!

19. 2

[​IMG]

KILL THIS LOVE
    BLACKPINK
    YG Entertainment

215 points

Peak Position: 2

Voters:
    10 - @Artemisia, @Vesperly, @He, @ohnostalgia, @Slice of Life
    9 - @Dangerous Maknae, @Rem, @Reboot, @Serg., @Twinkle, @junglefish, @Kuhleezi, @Island
    8 - @vague, @Love Deluxe, @GeiPanda, @OspreyQueen, @eliminathan, @SloMover, @bbynewyear
    7 - @Oleander
    6 - @PopZeitgeist, @Empty Shoebox, @BEST FICTION
    2 - @Cotton Park, @Sanctuary

Settling for number two is BLACKPINK's second mini album, Kill This Love. This is the first BLACKPINK album to not reach number one on the K-Popjustice Charts. The decay!!!

And I can't lie, I love this so much ddddd. The Blink jumped out.

Kill This Love continues the sound explored by the girls in Square Up. BLACKPINK aren't exactly the most experimental K-Pop group out there. They certainly don't take that much risks and instead just build on the sound they've already established since the group's inception. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I certainly don't mind but I completely understand why people would find the album not exciting.

If there is one risk BLACKPINK took for this album, I'd say they finally gave us a great ballad in Hope Not. I certainly won't mind if BLACKPINK give us more of this for the next album. My favourite track from this album is definitely Don't Know What To Do but I will talk about that in a different post. xoxo

I also really dig the DDU-DU DDU-DU (Remix). I admit I'm not really into remixes but this remix is actually pretty solid. It made DDU-DU DDU-DU even more boppable.

But even though I love the album, I can admit that there's definitely more room for improvement. First, I think it's time for YG and Teddy to let other producers work with BLACKPINK. I understand that Teddy is like the fifth member of BLACKPINK or whatever but it wouldn't hurt to expand BLACKPINK's sound. If 2NE1 can have multiple songs not produced by Teddy one year after their debut (Clap Your Hands, I'm Busy, Love is Ouch, and It Hurts), I'm sure BLACKPINK can and should too. It's time to let go, Teddy.

ryjm: After the absolute annihilation of Square Up, I’m unfortunately left underwhelmed by the Kill This Love mini. Wasting a slot on the tracklist for a throwaway remix…is not the tea (but so in line with YG’s dedication to fuckery). Hope Not is pretty disposable too and not the kind of sound I want from our world dominating sistren. Fortunately, the rest of the mini retains the high standard Blackpink set with Square Up. While Kill This Love does feel bizarrely muted, it is undeniably euphoric. Don’t Know What To Do is such an obvious counterpart to Forever Young and I ain’t mad about that. Kick It is no See You Later (and not even a Really) but it does feel like an extension of the Square Up era, so I love it.

bbynewyear: My first BlackPink EP and there’s stuff to like here… but Don’t Know What To Do (6) isn’t fun for me because I’m not completely sure if I’m sold on Rose’s vocals, she can sing but I don’t know if I like her voice, at least when she’s LOUD. And she leads this track, so that leaves me cold. ‘Kick It’ (7) has a lot going for it, these girls always get great line distribution but I find it a little hard to enjoy all the other offerings here, most likely just a taste thing. BLINKS! Let me know, where does this album rank with their other stuff? The DDU-DUU etc remix is completely at home at Coachella.

20. 1

[​IMG]

FANCY YOU
    Twice
    JYP Entertainment

323 points

Peak Position: 1

Voters:
    10 - @Dangerous Maknae, @eccentricsimply, @Rem, @PopZeitgeist, @vague, @GeiPanda, @Serg., @ryjm, @Twinkle, @junglefish, @BEST FICTION, @eliminathan, @SloMover, @Kuhleezi, @Oleander, @Squashua, @Island
    9 - @FunkyButChic, @Coming Century, @Love Deluxe, @Artemisia, @OspreyQueen, @Vesperly, @Empty Shoebox, @ryan_riot92, @ohnostalgia, @RUNAWAY, @bbynewyear
    8 - @He, @Wills, @Vixen, @Slice of Life
    7 - @Reboot, @Deja-Boo
    5 - @Cotton Park
    3 - @Sanctuary

After thirty editions of the K-Popjustice Charts, Twice finally nabbed their first number one album. Fun fact(s): This is the first album to receive 300+ points. Also, all 36 voters voted for Fancy You. That has never happened before in the history of KPJC. Fancy You did thaT.

And what a deserving album. Fancy You is Twice's seventh mini album and without a doubt the group's most mature yet. I have enjoyed Twice's albums before. I thought last year's What Is Love? and Yes or Yes mini albums were pretty stellar. But with Fancy You, Twice really outdid those previous efforts.

After ITZY's debut, I was kinda afraid that Twice's sound would stay... well, immature. ITZY were given the girl crush concept and I thought JYP Entertainment would give all the riskier songs to them. I'm so glad that wasn't the case. Twice are in the perfect position to change things up. The girls have started to really get into writing music for the group. They are ready to take things to the next level. And I think they proved that with Fancy You.

The soundscape is more exciting. The vocals are more interesting. It's like meeting Twice for the very first time again. I love it.

My favourite songs are Fancy (Black Eyed Pilseung never disappoints), Hot (the fact that Momo co-wrote the lyrics to this is... I have to stan) and Turn It Up (underrated bawperoo).

ryjm: Turns out you can teach an unfathomably successful group new tricks. This is my favourite Twice release ever, it’s wall to wall bops (even the slower number knocks, and y’all know it). It feels like after all these years and their consistent perpetual stream of sickeningly sweet singles, JYP has finally allowed our unnies to explore their sound - giving us a much more mature and experimental take on the Twice formula. This is still classic Twice, but with a twist. The most consistent, self-assured, and adventurous collection of songs the group has ever released. The 1-2-3-4-5-6 punch of flawless tracks annihilated me (yes, every damn track). Switching from the disco romp of “Fancy”, to the CLC-inspired trap-lite “Stuck In My Head”, to serving Charli XCX realness on the criminally fleeting “Girls Like Us”, to the absolute bop of the century that is “Hot”, to the funk infused life affirming banger “Turn It Up” and finishing with the surprisingly enjoyable slower number “Strawberry” - this is Twice at their finest. I love it, I love everything, I love them, STAN CARD LAMINATED FOR LIFE.

eliminathan: This is their best entire body of work by FAR. The girls really killed it this time around I'm so happy. Meanwhile SK stays trash for turning on Sana but still queens.

bbynewyear: We have a mixed bag here, my thoughts on Fancy are already documented so lets look at the rest. Stuck In My Head (5) is… demanding to get through, basically, I hate it. Girls Like Us (6) is interesting mostly because you can really see Charli.exe all over it, football chanting, reverbs and chill verses etc etc, it’s fine but I don’t really care for it on the girls, the rap is unfortunate this time round! Which is a shame since they normally have that pretty figured out. Hot (10) is an absolute winner, would love to see how they would have tackled this visually, ugh I just know the choreo for this slaps. I *think* that this might’ve been more of a switch up from TWICE’s usual fare than Fancy was tbh. The final two tracks Turn it Up (5) and Strawberry (5)? There is something for somebody here, but I am not that somebody!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.