K-Popjustice Charts - December 2016 Edition + 1st GRAMAMA Awards - COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts - December 2016 Edition + 1st GRAMAMA Awards - COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Ooo @Slice of Life ill be ready & waiting to comment LIVE feed style from the NYC themed mini-golf course behind a bush in the Seoul Botanical Gardens (where I may or may not be awaiting my black market Botox dealer)...

[​IMG]

2. Just sent in my ballot for GRAMAMA 2016 and I'm drained!

Squashua, Slice of Life and Ceir like this.
  3. Same! Now leave me alone.

4. N N N N thank you, oppar! You did very well.

D is for Danger! likes this.
  5. Girl I'm on a 76 hour week please let me participate

Squashua and Slice of Life like this.
  6. You have approximately 4 hours to send in your votes for the K-Popjustice Charts, unnie. But you have more time for the Gramamas since the results won't be revealed for another 24 hours.

Squashua likes this.
  7. Welcome to the December Edition of the K-Popjustice Charts!

This is a very special edition since it coincides with the biggest awards show yet, the GRAMAMA Awards. And because of that, I thought, hmm, why not dress up a little bit? Y'all know I'm very conservative. And so I chose a dress that would not compromise my beliefs but is still fashionable. And so I settled with this...

[​IMG]

Yeah, I think that's conservative enough.

Anyway, let's start the reveals, shall we? We sadly don't have a Bubbling Under Charts this time because not enough songs and albums were entered. But don't you fret; there's still plenty of awesome songs and albums that we can all enjoy here.

Let's start with out Top 10 albums...

[​IMG]

GOOD TIMING
    B1A4
    WM Entertainment

11 POINTS

Last Month's Position: 5
    Peak Position: 5
    Months on Chart: 2

Voters:
    5 - @Penguin
    3 - @Slice of Life, @Squashua

YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS true Popjustice moment. B1A4's latest album, Good Timing, spends its second month in the top 10. I am still very much in love with this album. It is my choice for best K-pop album of 2016 and nothing has changed that opinion. Every track is splendid and you just know that the boys poured their hearts out when they were making this. It truly is well worth the wait.

Y'all probably know that I have been championing B1A4's music ever since I joined this forum so IT. IS. SO. SATISFYING. that I have now influenced my cyst @Squashua. What do you think about this album again, precious?

When did boybands start delving into 90's folktronica-indie pop? Why had I not learnt of this development? I only know B14A exist thanks to Slicey and felt A Lie deserved listening to the full length to explore more. Although Nightmare was the album track sent for appraisal in the SOTY rate, I personally enjoyed to J-Rock high school singalong vibes of Good Timing, the waltzing balladry of In Dream and the sequel to T-ara ode to soft drink types, Sparkling. Everything is of a great quality though I think they were brave in the current climate to go with A Lie when there's plenty of more on-trend sounds lingering in the album tracks.

#MYIMPACT

---

[​IMG]

TWICEcoaster: Lane 1
    Twice
    JYP Entertainment

11 POINTS

Last Month's Position: 3
    Peak Position: 3
    Months on Chart: 3

Voters:
    4 - @ajmkv
    2 - @Aries, @McQueer, @Gintoki
    1 - @ryan_riot92

Despite the forum's loud hate campaign against Twice, the girls spend another month in the album chart. YOU MAD, BRAH???

Anyway, TWICEcoaster: Lane 1 (this album name is still a choice) is Twice's third mini album and surprise, surprise, this was and is still a hit in Korea. Whether we like it or not, Twice is surely cementing their way as our new K-pop overlords. Cue the meltdowns.

@ajmkv is not gonna fight the Twice domination though:

Oh, well, you either fight 'em or you join 'em.

Good for you, cyst. (Also, welcome back!)

----

[​IMG]

FIVE SENSES
    Pentagon
    Cube Entertainment

12 POINTS

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 8
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    5 - @Lego
    3 - @Deja-Boo
    2 - @Squashua, @Monkey0

Ooh, it's the new Cube Entertainment victims boy group! Five Senses is Pentagon's second mini album but this is just their first time appearing on our chart.

Frankly, I have not heard of this yet because GRAMAMAs ate my whole December dddddddd. I'll make it up to you this month, boys! I'll try at least.

Resident KPJ essayist @Squashua has a lot of thoughts about this. Take it away, boo.

Hate to break it to you lads but my diagnosis is one of your senses is defunct - namely that bizarro marching band title track you felt the need to throw upon us all. Why do this Cube? You basically have no acts left. Those turned off by Can You Feel It? should absolutely check out the drive-time Miami Vice bops in the shape of the AMAZING Engine, the bubbling Lose Yourself and a SEVENTEEN-esque Very Nice re-tread known as Pretty Pretty (also quite 80's). They have the talent and the songs - NOW GET OUT OF CUBE FOR THE LOVE OF 2YOON.

I quite like Can You Feel It.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    ajmkv, ryan_riot92, Deja-Boo and 2 others like this.
  8. I forgot to tag you, boo @Alouder98. The reveals have already started!

[​IMG]

MADE
    @Big Bang
    YG Entertainment

12 POINTS

Peak Position: 7

Voters:
    5 - @Aries
    4 - @Slice of Life
    1 - @Gintoki, @Vesperly, @junglefish

The true kings of K-pop (in terms of popularity and impact on Korean pop culture so don't @ me, haters) have finally released their third full album, MADE. Oh wow, for a decade-old legendary group, just three full albums is a bit of a flop, no? But that's tea for some other time.

No one left commentary for this album so just enjoy my very professional take on this.

I view this not really as a new album but more of a greatest hits one. YGE is known for this kind of shenanigans so it doesn't really surprise me now. The three new tracks are all good, yes, even the pathetically sad Last Dance. Admittedly, the MADE era which lasted for three decades I believe is not my favourite Big Bang era. It's the era where I grew tired of their music and quietly (kii) listened to other less complicated groups. But I still enjoyed some of the songs from the era, namely Loser, Bae Bae and Sober. The rest? They're just okay.

And that's sincerely Slice of Life.

---

[​IMG]

GOING SEVENTEEN
    Seventeen
    Pledis Entertainment

13 POINTS

Peak Position: 6

Voters:
    5 - @Deja-Boo
    4 - @junglefish
    2 - @Slice of Life
    1 - @Lego, @Squashua

Multiple-GRAMAMA nominee, Seventeen, also appears for the first time on our chart. Going Seventeen is Seventeen's 50th mini album for 2016 alone (kidding, this is actually just their third) and is a certified Gaon Chart number 1. I'M SO PROUD OF MY BABIES.

What do the voters have to say about this though?

Oh, it's just my cyst @Squashua who left a note.

Truth time: I've still not liked a SEVENTEEN song as much as Adore U, the boyband predecessor to WJSN's Secret. Oh and I LOVED Q&A with Ailee with three of the better members but that's not even a legitimate single. For the sake of Slicey, i'm trying to immerse myself in them. Boom Boom in all its eastern euro-tracksuit wearing swagger was... a choice. But there's a lot to like on this EP - HIGHLIGHT should have been the title, Expectation is a masterful jazz ballad, Well is a smooth rap/whispered jam - even if it's not stuffed to the brim with knockouts.

Sorry, boo, but Mansae and Very Nice are both superior to Adore U. I still love you though. But I agree, Highlight is easily the highlight of this mini album.

---

LET'S REVEAL SOME OF OUR TOP 20 SONGS OF DECEMBER, SHALL WE?

9. IT'S TIME FOR OUR TOP 20 SONGS!!!

Who were lucky enough to land in the Top 20? Let's find out.

MISS TERRY MYSTERY
    Hyoyeon (of Girls' Generation)
    SM Entertainment

11 POINTS

Peak Position: 20

Voters:
    4 - @Squashua, @Gintoki
    2 - @Aries
    1 - @ajmkv

Ooh, another Girls' Generation goes solo...

Ooh, it's... Hyoyeon???

Hyoyeon might not have Taeyeon's vocal cords but I have to give it to her for actually releasing this bop. It's very Bollywood through the K-pop lens which sounds tragic on paper but actually works here. I hated this the first time I heard it. I don't know why. Maybe that weird non-chorus turned me off. But I find this sufficient now. This is at least 3 trillion times better than that turd Born to be Wild, I'll give her that.

Here's the resident shady unnie, ajmkv. Take it away, papi.

I inadvertently shaded Hyoyeon in my submission for Song of the Year rate (@Squashua), so I feel bad and I want to give her a point. Sorry Hyo~~~

Are you really sorry, though? Are you really? Kii.

And here's Squashua back at it again with another wordy comment.

The only musical industry that can match K-Pop for lavish visuals and general eccentricity is Bollywood and, hi HO-yeon, here comes one of the members I don't know from GG rolling in with a Bhangra-inspired ditty. It's not a vocal masterclass by any stretch but I found myself really digging the overall feel of it and wishing someone in K-Pop, other than bloody Psy, would go full tilt K-Ollywood on us sometime in the future.

I nominate Orange Caramel although they kinda did it already with Catallena.

---

HIGHLIGHT
    Seventeen
    from the Going Seventeen mini album
    Pledis Entertainment

12 POINTS

Peak Position: 19

Voters:
    9 - @Lego
    3 - @Slice of Life

[​IMG]

Another true Popjustice moment! YATH.

Seventeen debuts on our song chart with this smooth, sleek banger. Actually, just four of the thirteen members perform this and I must say that even without the Vocal Team, this is more than sufficient.

NOT MY SON DINO BECOMING A RAP GOD AND A VOCALIST.
    NOT HOSHI SERVING TVXQ MOVES.
    NOT JUN SERVING VISUALS FOR DAYS.
    NOT THE8 SERVING ICONIC POSES LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS.

I sincerely hope Seventeen explores this sound more because this is just too good to be a one-off. Make it happen, God.

---

=17

FEEL GOOD
    SHINee
    from the 1 of 1 album
    SM Entertainment

13 POINTS

Peak Position: 17

Voters:
    7 - @McQueer
    6 - @send photo

[​IMG]

Let me be honest. I truly did not expect, not even in my wildest dreams, that a two-month old SHINee album track will ever grace our chart. But then again, it's SHINee and Popjustice truly loves these guys' music. Bless McQueer and send photo for bringing this underrated track to the forefront.

Our voters didn't send commentary, so let me take this time and say: LISTEN TO THE SHINEE ALBUM, MY PRECIOUS. THERE ARE LOADS OF OTHER HYMNS WAITING TO BE DISCOVERED. K THANKS. x

EDIT: N N N N N @send photo actually commented: *goes weak in the knees*

---

=17

WONDERLAND
    Jessica
    from the Wonderland mini album
    Coridel Entertainment

13 POINTS

Peak Position: 17

Voters:
    7 - @Vesperly
    6 - @junglefish

And another Girls' Generation solo appears in our chart. This time it's the ex-member Jessica, part-time fashion designer, part-timer singer, and full-time shade queen.

[​IMG]

Here she is with her second solo single (or third if we count Love Me the Same) and thank God her music improved exponentially. Fly was cute for a week or two but that's it. But I can see myself loving Wonderland for more than a month. So good job, Jess!

French Unnie junglefish has something to say about this.

Great video, beautiful video and the song ain't bad either. Jessica isn't bringing anything new to the table, but she knows how to deliver the seasonal bops (which is more than can be said for SNSD since she left...)

N N N N I see you, cyst.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  10. So far, pleasantly surprised to see my ballot popping up. I'm already over Hyoyeon's Miss Terry now though so poor it...

Slice of Life likes this.
  11. 16

ONE MORE DAY
    Sistar (feat. Giorgio Moroder)
    from the One More Day single album
    Starship Entertainment

14 POINTS

Last Month's Position: 4
    Peak Position: 4

Voters:
    7 - @Gintoki
    5 - @He
    2 - @Squashua

Our last month's dark horse takes quite the plunge and now find itself in the 16th spot. But for a random collaboration single that was barely promoted, 16 is still a very respectable spot.

I actually have very little to say about this because I have already forgotten about it. Oop. But upon listening just now, this is still good... if a bit faceless. The Hyolyn chorus is still the highlight. And the Bora rap section is... did anyone try the chicken? I thought the chicken was lovely!

He is still feeling ha oats to this though:

Still that bop.

And Squashua finally is not busy enough to listen to this. Is it worth the hype, boo?

I finally listened to this and it was actually good. Moroder did it again - moustache master of reining back Hyolyn's 92% vocal lines domination.

YATH.

---

STING
    Stellar
    from the Sting mini album
    The Entertainment Pascal

15 POINTS

Peak Position: 15

Voters:
    9 - @He
    6 - @Ceir

In October, Stellar's Crying was the one that charted. And now, it's time for the girls' January 2016 bop, Sting, to chart! I don't know what prompted our voters to rally for this song... I'm guessing Stellar's Best Music Video nomination has something to do with this song's sudden boost in PJ popularity? Either way, I'm just happy that this made our charts. It still sounds so perfect to these ears. I'm waiting for your comeback this year, girls!

He is a new fan of this and I couldn't be happier! Get your life, unnie!

I’ve only just discovered this, and it’s amazing.

I know, right.

-

DON'T BELIEVE
    Berry Good
    from the Glory mini album
    Asia Bridge Entertainment

15 POINTS

Last Month's Position: 6

Voters:
    8 - @McQueer
    4 - @ryan_riot92
    3 - @ThighHighs

And another November 2016 entry exits the top 10. This time, it's the wonderfully tropical bop, Berry Good's Don't Believe.

I still get the best kii when I hear that English intro so good job, babes!

~~~No matter you say, please don't say it~~~

ryan_riot92, don't listen to these girls. Say what you have to say, henny!

Keep delivering the bops gurls! Don’t revert back to your old selves! Stay with this new and improved sound! I’m sure Korea will never get them but they have the potential to be in the next Flop Queens rate.

And you too, sweetie ThighHighs:

Lesser than the Blackpink song, but still such a bop.

I agree. *sips tea*

---

VERY VERY VERY
    I.O.I
    from the Miss Me? mini album
    YMC Entertainment

16 POINTS

Last Month's Position: 15
    Months on Chart: 3

Voters:
    6 - @He
    3 - @Ceir, @PopZeitgeist
    2 - @ajmkv, @junglefish

OOH, I LOVE RESURGENCE! After falling to number 15 last month, here comes the Dream Girls (ew) bettering their position with a top 13 finish.

I'm not gonna lie. Even though I've never been the biggest fan of these girls and I've never watched Produce 101, I am still sad that they are gonna disband this month. I know I'm being a little shady ape towards them in the GRAMAMAs but trust me, I really do like these girls and I will be rooting for them even outside of I.O.I. I'm especially excited for Chungha's solo debut. TALENT ALWAYS WINS.

Shade machine ajmkv is back.

Also one of those growers, but not enough to earn that many points from me. JYP sure knows how to produce an earworm, doesn't he?

He really does. I usually stan any JYP-produced song as long as he's not the one singing it. Kii.

Just accept that you are a sucker for K-pop novelty songs, cyst junglefish!

Yeah I didn't dare talk about this in the main thread, but I listened to this properly for the first time two weeks ago and it's been stuck in my head since then. Better than Gee tbh.

And here's He to drive us back home. Take it away!

Oh, how I will miss these bunch. I have hope WJSN will come through. Pity Yeunjung did not make it farther in King of Mask Singer.

Ooh, thanks for that reminder! I must watch Yeonjung sl*y the competition in King of Masked Singer!

12. 12

CAN YOU FEEL IT?
    Pentagon
    from the Five Senses mini album
    Cube Entertainment

17 POINTS

Peak Position: 12

Voters:
    9 - @Deja-Boo
    8 - @Lego

Not only did these boys make it to the album chart but they also showed up in the song chart. Congrats, kids! I'm sure charting here is your best achievement so far! Kii.

I remember not liking this the first time I heard it. Frankly, I'm just really, really tired of the non-chorus for a chorus trend. I want it to die a miserable death and not comeback for at least three centuries.

But then one day I was bored so what did I do? I watched flop music videos, that's what. And suddenly I love this. Kii. The music video is impeccably done so that might have influenced the change in my opinion. I'm also screaming that my son Jinho, former member of the SM group SM the Ballad, is such a smol oppar. Kii. It's okay, kid. Your vocals more than make up for your lack of height.

---

So what song just missed the Top 10?

FXXK IT
    @Big Bang
    from the MADE album
    YG Entertainment

20 POINTS

Peak Position: 11

Voters:
    8 - @Slice of Life
    5 - @Deja-Boo
    4 - @send photo
    1 - @Squashua, @Vesperly

So I guess Big Bang isn't really a Popjustice favourite? Kii. That's okay, boys. I'm still a fan.

Fxxk It is one of the two title tracks for Big Bang's third full album, MADE. This has been a total digital monster in Korea. Frankly, I thought the ballad Last Dance would do better but I am pleasantly surprised that this was the bigger hit. Fxxk It is my favourite MADE single by a mile. It's fresh, it's cool, it bops and that chorus is really memorable. I have not watched a single live performance of this yet so I can't judge if it sounds as good live as on record.

One-point giver Squashua has a rather subdued reaction to this.

This was actually pretty good and not completely obnoxious like everything else they do these days. Well done YG.

N N N N N clock them, cyst!

K-pop returnee send photo loves controversies, I see.

These guys are controversial right? I don’t know anything about that. This song is a bop though.

Big Bang is the father of K-pop controversy, boo. I'll leave it at that. Hehe.

junglefish, Overdose, ajmkv and 8 others like this.
  13. Ah @Slice of Life unnie, I keep wanting to help/participate (in both the charts and the Gramama's) but end up getting swamped with work. Will have to watch all the shadiness unravel from the sidelines - but keep up the good work sis xx

[​IMG]

ajmkv, send photo, junglefish and 2 others like this.
  14. I honestly thought you were banned so I didn't expect much from you ddddddddddd.

PLEASE PARTICIPATE NEXT MONTH, BOO. I NEED YOUR GIFS!!!

15. Whaaaaaa?!? Not the unit's sassy monotonal bear - not on my watch!
    [​IMG]

GeiPanda and Slice of Life like this.
  16. N N N N N he told me he was probably gonna get banned. Kii. But I'm glad he didn't. @GeiPanda is needed by our subunit.

junglefish, GeiPanda and Squashua like this.
  17. [​IMG]

So who's ready for the pre-show of the GRAMAMAs? I know I am.

Please welcome your host for the pre-show...

[​IMG]

It's me Park Bom. Woo Lord, it's tough not having a stable job these days. I even find myself agreeing to doing this... Z-list awards show. That Shaman Unnie tricked me by saying this is some Oscars-level of event.

Anywho, here I am so might as well do my thing.

Let's give the floor to the perennially thirsty unnie, @Ceir. I know you're gonna be a mess anyway so let me just take a seat and watch you do your thing. Take it away, unnie!

---

Ceir is awarding his personal category...

~SEX JAM OF THE YEAR~

to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for his song

HOMEBOY LEGIT DESCRIBES UNDERWATER CUNNILINGUS IN FULL, EXCRUCIATING DETAIL. 2016 R. Kelly style sex-jam that y’all slept on while I screamed silently.

Please accept your statuette, Jay.

[​IMG]

----

Okay, thank you for that award, Ceir. Anyway, let's proceed because some of y'all gave three million awards. And I thought Slice of Life was extra. Y'all worse!

Let's welcome to the stage, @ThighHighs!!!

---

The award for those rare moments when the Korean public puts aside their obsession with beauty and actually rewards talent as opposed to simply visuals and personality...

~TALENT WINS AWARD~

And the

[​IMG]

goes to...

[​IMG]

Kim Chungha (first rank #39, final rank #4) and Yoo Yeonjung (first rank 63, final rank #11) share this award for their slow, but steady rise through the ranks of Produce 101 into the group. Neither of them were expected to do well, as they both had others from their agencies that were supposed to be the "stars" or bigger names, but they got to the top not by scandal or beauty (well, maybe for Chungha), but by keeping their head down, working hard, and completely scalping the other trainees with their respective dance and singing talent. Get 'em, gals!

---

That was so sweet of you, darling. I'm sure the two girls will love the award that you gave them.

It's time for another mess. Please welcome, the Comeback Kween, @ajmkv!

---

ajmkv's personal award...

~POPPIN' MY PUSS 2K16~

Because those jams made my year a productive one. If y'all know what I mean.

And the nominees are:

K.A.R.D - Oh NaNa
    EXID - Cream
    4minute - Canvas
    Stellar - Sting
    Fantasy - Fei

And the

[​IMG]

goes to...

K.A.R.D - Oh NaNa

Because a couple weeks of slut-dropping to this meant that this year ended with a bang~

---

A MESS!
    Keep doing you, cyst.

Okay, that's all for me today. See y'all later.

Love,

[​IMG]
    Park Bom

ajmkv, send photo, junglefish and 7 others like this.
  18. Ddddddddddd I fell asleep. My God, the GRAMAMAs and KPJC have truly messed up my sleep pattern.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed that bit of intermission courtesy of your (messy) personal GRAMAMA categories.

Let's go back to the TOP 5 ALBUMS!

[​IMG]

ON AND ON
    Hoody
    AOMG

14 POINTS

Peak Position: 5

Voters:
    5 - @Squashua
    4 - @ryan_riot92, @Deja-Boo
    1 - @McQueer

I always love it when the K-Popjustice hunties throw a curveball on me. This was something I never expected to chart here but y'all proved me wrong again just like when you collectively voted for Bolbbalgan4 in October.

Anyway, I don't think I have ever heard of this Hoody girl. But now that she placed this high in our chart, I'm really interested to know her music more.

Squashua, educate me real quick juseyoooo~

Y***SSSS INDIE CHANTEUSE. I love solo females who serve something different from the standard fare of K-Pop - every song is a complete tune. It's always such a lovely breather & this is the epitome of class. Discovering this lil lady is all thanks to the sassy gurrrls of the PJ Kpop sub-unit and I can thank you all for it. This & Lee Hi's albums (another 2016 discovery) are probs two of the best efforts of this year in all honesty. Can we have a Hoody, Lee Hi, Lim Kim super-group? Heck, you can even include IU if you want to guarantee success and Heize for rap duties if you must. Imagine those visuals, those vocals, the MUSIC SHOW stages... Korea's ahjummas and uncles would be violently shook.

I am sold.

---

[​IMG]

SQUARE TWO
    BLACKPINK
    YG Entertainment

16 POINTS

Last Month's Position: 1
    Peak Position: 1

Voters:
    5 - @Gintoki
    4 - @send photo, @He
    2 - @Vesperly
    1 - @Slice of Life

And our last month's number 1 falls three places to number 4. FLOP!!!

I'm kidding. This actually led for the most part of the voting period... until the late voters messed it up. Kii.

I have to admit this is still in heavy rotation for me. Sure, I would have loved a true EP from them and not this Square-One-plus-a-few-new-tracks scam that YG pulled but as of now, this is enough to keep me warm. Hehe.

I'm actually surprised seeing that a lot of people are warming up to BLACKPINK... even people that openly hate everything with a YG label on it. I think it speaks volumes about the girls. They are just so adorable, it's hard not to root for them. I mean, have you seen them in Weekly Idol? Jisoo was hilarious and so was Rose. I haven't watched their Running Man episode yet but I have seen people say that BLACKPINK did well there too.

Self-proclaimed YG-hater He also can't deny the girls' charms:

hate YG and their hype, love bp

19. Sex-Jams and Pusswah poppin' already? The GRAMAMAs are feelin' themselves. Can't argue with those winners mind (the super shaaaady backhand compliment in @ThighHighs Chungha/Yeunjeung write-up though cackle).

I'm so happy Bom is co-hosting! Her younger sister & I used to visit Dr. Bak-Alee Kim's after YG dungeon camp training sessions...
    [​IMG]

20. He

He

I hope you're paying Bom!

Slice of Life likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.