K-Popjustice Charts | July 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts | July 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Z-Girls and Sori better make the songs chart.

Oleander and Slice of Life like this.
  2. Sis those are the Kpop charts x

Anyway rumor has it @Artemisia still hasn’t listened to the Sunny Summer EP. And she absolutely will betray GFRIEND because you can never trust that bih!

Oleander, Rem, vague and 10 others like this.
  3. Hasn't stopped people sending songs in the devil's tongue before.

Oleander, ysev, vague and 3 others like this.
  4. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Just missing the top 10 is...

[​IMG]

WE BOOM
    NCT Dream
    SM Entertainment

45 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 11
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    9 - @bbynewyear
    8 - @PopZeitgeist, @ryjm, @Slice of Life
    6 - @junglefish
    3 - @OspreyQueen, @FunkyButChic

MY BOYS! TALENT HAS ARRIVED.

We Boom is the third mini album of NCT's superior subunit, NCT Dream. It's their first album as a six-piece group after Mark graduated from the unit late last year.

The album is composed of six songs: the single Boom and album tracks Stronger, 119, Bye My First.., Best Friend, and Dream Run. The album proved to be another hit for NCT Dream as it shattered a couple of NCT records.

SLAY! Seeing NCT Dream effortlessly succeed despite SM Entertainment not giving them NCT 127's level of promo is so gratifying. A "talent always wins" tea.

Anyway, back to the album ddddd. Yes, of course I love We Boom. The boys have grown up and so did their sound. Just compare We Boom to last year's We Young and you'll definitely hear the increase in maturity. I will admit that I prefer NCT Dream's previous sound but it would be criminal to not let them grow. I mean, only two of the members are under 18 so it's definitely understandable that their sound won't sound that childish anymore.

The first three tracks, Boom, Stronger, and 119, showcase NCT Dream's more mature sound. These songs are more aggressive but not to an annoying BTS-degree. Of the three, my favourite is 119. I love the vocals so much.

The next track, Bye My First.. is, I'm guessing, an ode to saying goodbye to one's first love. I love that it still sounds light despite the heavier theme. That chorus is everything! Fifth song, Best Friend, is a quick return to NCT Dream's younger sound. It's cute but it's my least favourite song here.

The last song, Dream Run, is so good y'all. If NCT Dream wanted a summer single, they could've easily chosen this. This reminds me of SHINee for some reason ddddd.

This could honestly be NCT Dream's last comeback ever... unless SM adds more members to the group. Members Haechan, Jaemin, Jeno and Renjun are scheduled to graduate this year and I don't think SM Entertainment are gonna let Chenle and Jisung continue as a duo. Which makes me really sad. But I've known that NCT Dream is not a permanent group since the group's inception so this shouldn't really come as a surprise. Still, as a stan, this absolutely breaks my heart. This is the kind of dream I don't want to wake up from. Oh well, at least the boys gave us one last album. And a great album at that.

OspreyQueen: Frankly, I’m being generous just by including this mini, let alone giving it 3 points. It’s…fine, but there’s nothing of interest here except Stronger. Not to mention, it’s basically an NCT 127 album, who I’ve heard enough from for a while. (SOL: BE QUIET TIFFANY!)

ryjm: Wait at this EP being phenomenal from beginning to end. Since when did the Dream boys become so damn seductive?! The production is positively thrilling throughout – the soundscapes are darker, more atmospheric and bizarre than what we’ve come to expect from the younger side of NCT and I AM HERE FOR IT! NCT DREAM. NCT DREAM’s mini was better than 127’s? I could not believe it!

Oleander, Sanctuary, Rem and 20 others like this.
  5. 10

[​IMG]

BUTTERFLY
    Ailee
    YMC Entertainment

48 points

Peak Position: 10

Voters:
    9 - @evilsin, @Oleander
    8 - @Kuhleezi
    6 - @Island, @Empty Shoebox
    5 - @Serg.
    3 - @Sanctuary
    1 - @ryjm, @Cotton Park

Yes, this month saw the return of a legend, everyone's favourite American - apart from Amber...or Jessica...or Tiffany...you get the idea okay?

So we have Ailee's first album in three years, and it's a full length album at that. We are blessed, but not by the record label (more on that later).

There are ten tracks on this album, starting with 'Moonlight'. This opens with some lovely fluttering sounds, making you realise just why the album is called Butterfly. It then builds into the chorus, where Ailee remids you exactly what you've been missing by belting out that chorus in her trademark style. The song serves well as an album opener, but I don't think it stands too well on its own.

'Want It' has some influences from jazz and R&B and is quite the soulful number, so I quite like it. Unfortunately the bridge sounds very much like a girl band song of the early 2000s and the key change is completely unnecessary.

Track three, 'Headlock' is probably the most straightforward bop on the album, so it should be no surprise that it's my favourite. It has lots of brass and plenty of moments for our Unnie to show off her vocal power. To be fair, if any of us could sing like that, we would do the same. It does feature a few too many 'na na na' moments, but nobody's perfect. Least of all me.

Room Shaker is the lead single, and was written by a bunch of Scandinavian people. At times it is 'challenging' but maybe that's a good thing as it makes it more distinctive. That said, yes it uses some of the melody from Blackpink's Do Doo Ron Ron Ron Do Doo Ron Ron. I'm sure we'll talk more about the song on the song chart, so let's go back to the record label. Now, it is known that Ailee's contract at YMC finishes once the promo for this album has finished. It is rumoured that this is why the label refuses to allow her on music shows to do any promotion, apart from one or two appearances that were pre-booked. If this is true, then we have another music label to add to our shitlist, unnies.

Track five is a ballad. There is a man on it.

Moving on,
    Actually no, let's go back to track five. Titled 'love', it features someone called Chen, who is a member of a boy group called EXO. As ballads go, it's not the plinky plonky piano teary nonsense with a video filmed from a camera pointing through the rain at a window. It's definitely a ballad, but there's some nice touches in the instrumentation. Not enough to hold my attention though.

'Nothing At All' is what I would describe as a distinctive R&B number, but I'm no expert in R&B. To me, it sounds like something that Leona Lewis would have released about ten years ago. That's not a compliment I'm afraid.

'You are Precious Because of Who you are' is one of those ballads that we all skip over. Well, certainly I skip over. There's a few big vocal moments, so I feel that this deserves more of a place here than 'Love', but with both of them here, they dilute the best songs on the album.

The next song, 'Fire' takes a while to get going. For the first two minutes or so, it could have been sung by just about anyone, but Ailee lets rip for the final third and reminds you who's boss. I find the first two minutes strange because she has writing credit for this song, and like I said, it sounds almost anonymous. Thankfully, she saves it in that last minute.

"Ain't That Pretty" is the song that evolves the most. It starts by sounding almost folky, and probably belongs in the K-Indie thread, before going full club banger at the first chorus. It's a bit of a jarring disconnect, and it's at its strongest in that first verse. It definitely affected my enjoyment of the song, so it could very well do the same for you.

The album closes with 'Heartcrusher' - a collaboration with DJ Koo and someone calling themselves Undaunted, who I couldn't be bothered looking up. Heartcrusher is another of these massive dance bops, with the difference being that it's entirely in English. It all sounds a bit 'heard it before', but so do so many bops. My main criticism of Heartcrusher is that it feels too short by about 45 seconds. Maybe that means that it's good enough to leave the listener wanting more? You decide.

In conclusion - welcome back Ailee unnie, please find a new record label soon.

ryjm: The ratio of amazing to meh tracks is severely out of whack, which can sometimes make the whole experience a bit of a chore. But when it’s good, it’s so damn good. A bit more quality control and this could’ve been condensed into an all killer mini.

Cotton Park: God, that voice.

Due to the music show issues mentioned earlier, it's difficult to find good quality recordings of any of these album tracks, but listen to these anyways, and marvel at the vocal talent on display.

Wills, Oleander, Rem and 21 others like this.
  6. Slice of Life

[​IMG]

HELLO CHAPTER 1: HELLO, STRANGER
    CIX
    C9 Entertainment

51 points

Peak Position: 9

Voters:
    9 - @ysev
    8 - @FunkyButChic
    7 - @Coming Century, @Slice of Life, @Sanctuary
    6 - @ryjm
    5 - @OspreyQueen
    2 - @Cotton Park

A top 10 debut! I think slay. Don't you agree, @ysev unnie?

CIX are a five-member boy group from C9 Entertainment and Hello Chapter 1: Hello, Stranger is their first mini album. The group features Bae Jinyoung, a member of Wanna One, and BX and Seunghun, former YG Entertainment trainees that competed in Treasure Box (another flop YG reality show).

And yes, yes, YES. This album slays so much. Hello, Stranger is filled to the brim with luxurious-sounding bops. Think NU'EST but maybe not as dramatic. At least not yet.

The first song, What You Wanted, is a fantastic opener and immediately sets the mood. The production is sparse and I love the focus on the strong vocals. It is then followed by the single, Movie Star, which we shall talk about in another post xoxo.

The third song, Like It That Way, has a slight reggae flavour to it and I'm here for it. This is perfect for the summer. I can just imagine WINNER singing this as a follow up to Island. The fourth song is Imagine and yes, another bop and is quietly the best song of the album. It honestly sounds like a single. That's how strong Imagine is. This sounds so smooth, I could just glide to it. The album ends with The One. I don't wanna call it a ballad (because it's not) but it does function as one. It's the one emotional bop of the album and a fantastic closing statement too.

I'm super impressed with CIX's debut album. I hope they could maintain this level of quality. Why are the 2019 rookie boy groups snapping so hard though??? I'm shaken.

OspreyQueen: Just a tip, skip the first two songs. They’re the worst ones.

ryjm: The sheer quality and excellence on display for a debut mini is staggering. Absolutely no filler to be found here unnie. All these rookie groups coming for their elders is a total kii, the newbies ain’t playing around.

Cotton Park: Yes, great, but why are their only five of them? This bothers me. Great album though. (SOL: I think they were supposed to be a six-member group but one member left before the debut. Correct me if I'm wrong, @ysev unnie.)

Wills, Oleander, Rem and 20 others like this.
  7. Slice of Life

An unexpected entry is next.

[​IMG]

[X X]
    LOOΠΔ
    BlockBerry Creative

53 points

Last Month's Position: 11
    Peak Position: 1
    Months on Chart: 5

Voters:
    10 - @Vixen
    8 - @ysev, @nikkysan
    7 - @PopZeitgeist, @vague, @savilizabeths
    6 - @Hurricane Drunk

Kii.

Of course, [X X] charts again in the top 10. Congrats Orbits and I hope y'all get a comeback soon. xoxo

nikkysan: I’ll keep voting for this until we get a new comeback from the girls #sorrynotsorry

Vixen: Still the best mini album of the year. Nothing has come close to it yet. Sometimes talent remains undefeated and it's just the way it is!

Wills, Oleander, Rem and 20 others like this.
  8. I don't know what you were talking about, @Empty Shoebox, "butterFLY" is pretty ace from start to finish.

Oleander, vague and Slice of Life like this.
  9. There's always going to be songs that I like more than others, but I welcome the release. If only the record label weren't as awful.

Oleander, vague and Slice of Life like this.
  10. He

He

Sunmi about the call her comeback Butterfly and steal the thunder LOONA never had. Kii.

xx remains a stunner, though.

Oleander, ysev, vague and 5 others like this.
  11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Fun fact: TWICE beat all the other Kpop girl groups on my Best Of 2019 Charts (OG Edition). It really is the year of TWICE.

Rem, ryjm, ysev and 8 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]
    They were indeed supposed to be six. The member that got cut, Sehoon, unfortunately turned out to be a Kim Jong-Iljin.

vague and Slice of Life like this.
  13. I'm gonna be honest I didn't even listen to it until well after I gave my scores because it was released on the 31st but Drunk slaps.

Oleander, ysev, vague and 2 others like this.
  14. It stopped bothering me when I found out their name was pronounced C. I. X. and not "six".

Maybe that will make sense to someone. Someday. Maybe.

(Though for a moment it bothered me that there weren't 109 members.)

Oleander, ysev, vague and 3 others like this.
  15. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

That's even worse wtf, just makes me think of this

[​IMG]

Oleander, ysev, vague and 4 others like this.
  16. I wish I could say I shop there all the time because I feel like... oh wait...
    There's actually a sign that says, "Buy + Sell + Donate"
    Donate. For some reason that makes it even funnier.

Wills, Oleander, ysev and 3 others like this.
  17. Slice of Life

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE BOOK OF US: GRAVITY
    DAY6
    JYP Entertainment / Studio J

59 points

Peak Position: 7

Voters:
    10 - @Slice of Life
    8 - @Deja-Boo, @Sanctuary
    7 - @nikkysan, @Cotton Park, @eliminathan
    6 - @FunkyButChic
    5 - @Coming Century
    1 - @Oleander

I'm so happy! Another top 10 hit album for my number 1 favourite boy group! TALENT.

The Book of Us: Gravity is the fifth mini album of DAY6. The album consists of six songs and all members of the group (except Baby Dowoon) wrote and composed all of them. Again, TALENT.

It's so hard to review an album that I genuinely love without sounding like a rabid stan but I can't help it. This album is just perfect. DAY6 are known to be incapable of writing bad songs and they prove that yet again on this album. The Book of Us: Gravity is now my second most favourite DAY6 album ever, beaten only by Sunrise.

What I love most about DAY6's music is that it's constantly evolving. With every new album, they always bring something new to the table. They always improve their formula which is so exciting to me as a stan.

The Book of Us: Gravity is a summer album and that's quite apparent when you listen to it. The songs are lighter and are very easy to listen to. But because this is a DAY6 release, of course they have to include a ballad (Cover) just to break our hearts under the sweltering summer sun.

My favourite tracks are How to Love and Wanna Go Back. I think these two songs showcase DAY6's masterful songwriting abilities. Both songs actually remind me of Paramore's best songs dddd (especially Wanna Go Back). And fun fact: Dowoon, who usually doesn't sing, gets to flex his budding vocal prowess on Wanna Go Back. I love his two lines!

I really wish y'all could give DAY6's music a try. Even though their sound isn't exactly the K-Pop sound we are used to consume, their music is truly bulletproof. They have bops, they have ballads, they have midtempos. They even experiment on different genres every now and then. Some K-Pop acts can't relate! But really, DAY6 offers so much more than your usual band music. Y'all just need to give them the chance.

Cotton Park: Ready for a Day6/Dreamcatcher collab now. (SOL: Just imagining Siyeon belting DAY6's songs.... wig flew.)

eliminathan: I gotta be honest I never listened to it, I'm a mess. (SOL: IT'S OKAY UNNIE. As long as you gave the album some points, it's totally fine ddddd.)

Wills, Oleander, Sanctuary and 20 others like this.
  18. Slice of Life

And just missing the top 5 is...

[​IMG]

CITY LIGHTS
    Baekhyun
    SM Entertainment

59 points

Peak Position: 6

Voters:
    10 - @Serg.
    9 - @Coming Century, @RUNAWAY, @Island, @eccentricsimply
    6 - @Vixen
    4 - @ryjm
    2 - @Oleander
    1 - @Slice of Life

I'll try to make this review as positive as possible, EXO-Ls of KPJ ddddd.

City Lights is the debut mini album of Baekhyun. And unlike Chen who chose the boring path of releasing snooze-inducing ballads, Baekhyun went for a little R&B sound. Baekhyun - 1, Chen - 0.

I really like this album. Even as a Baekhyun hater, I can't deny that the good sis has the range. He sounds really good here. Bacon's vocals sound the best on the third track, Betcha. I wish this was the single to be honest. UN Village is cute but it's literally so boring. Meanwhile, Betcha is that slick bop.

I also really like the bonus track, Psycho. The production is so haunting and is something I never expected from Baekhyun. It reminds me of Banks' stuff.

But really, all of the songs on City Lights range from good to great. I find it hard to differentiate some of the songs because they sound very similar to me. That's literally my only complaint.

I've seen some people in this very forum call this as the best album of the year which is a little hyperbolic to me. But credit where credit is due: City Lights is a respectable debut for Baekhyun. I didn't really peg him as an R&B artist (D.O. sounds better singing R&B songs honestly) but he sounds believable on City Lights. Kudos.

ryjm: The title track doesn’t really do this mini justice. Betcha is an icy synth-laden chill jam and I’m totally obsessed. Psycho is a wonderfully dramatic and atmospheric track, serving me some cinematic realness.

Vixen: Not a bad effort honestly...for a male. Great moody RnB pop with flavor.

19. He

He

Why don't we like Baekhyun?

ysev, RUNAWAY and Slice of Life like this.
  20. Slice of Life

[​IMG]

THE REVE FESTIVAL DAY 1
    Red Velvet
    SM Entertainment

84 points

Last Month's Position: 1
    Peak Position: 1
    Months on Chart: 2

Voters:
    10 - @eccentricsimply, @SloMover, @Artemisia
    9 - @nikkysan
    8 - @Love Deluxe, @Rem
    7 - @Kuhleezi
    6 - @He
    5 - @Island, @vague
    3 - @ysev
    2 - @Vixen
    1 - @savilizabeths

Last month's number one album, Red Velvet's The ReVe Festival Day 1 remains in the top 5 for second straight month! When it's right, it's right.

I still use this to a dangerous degree. Everything still sounds fresh and even the songs that I was quite unsure before, like Parade and Milkshake, has grown on me immensely. Still, Sunny Side Up!, Bing Bing, and LP remains as the best songs.

Bring on The ReVe Festival Day 2! I'm salivating already.

Vixen: Still one of their strongest offerings. What a fucking mini. I'm just giving this less points because I think the gorlz will come through with their own ballot, so I think I can be a little strategic here dddd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.