K-Popjustice Charts | July 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts | July 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Ddddd it's just me unnie. I honestly forgot why I didn't like him. Kii.

2. Look who finally decided to post an eliminathan™ on time. You know what that is? Growth.

[​IMG]

KNK S/S COLLECTION
    KNK
    220 Entertainment

94 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 4
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    10 - @Coming Century, @eliminathan
    9 - @FunkyButChic, @Hurricane Drunk, @BEST FICTION
    8 - @Squashua
    7 - @junglefish, @evilsin, @Oleander
    5 - @ryjm, @Slice of Life
    4 - @OspreyQueen, @Sanctuary

KNK are back and are finally getting the spotlight they deserve in this pink hellhole. They return 6 months after their last song, Lonely Night, with the single album aptly named,
    KNK S/S COLLECTION. Having the theme of the comeback just being about how modelesque the members are is iconic in every right. This single album is their first released under their new imaginary label, 220 Entertainment. Lonely Night was a Stone Music release and everything prior was on their previous label YNB before that went down the shitter.

The title track Sunset is a new sound for this group which originally sang BEAST/HIGHLIGHT-esque songs. As much as I love their old stuff, this sound and aesthetic is just such a perfect fit for KNK and I hope they continue along this path. Imagine having a boy group of all super-tall models (and Heejun, but he decided to become buff because he wasn't as tall so he's a king of working with what he got) and NOT going with the model/runway/vogue anthem for their look and sound.

The next song in the tracklist is We Are The One and I'm up in the air as to whether this or Sunset are my favourite song from the single album. With Taemin helping to write and compose the track, it can be assumed that the song will be special. And boy howdy does this song go off. With the new addition to the group, Dongwon, KNK can finally add half-decent rapping to their toolkit and he did a great job on this whole album (sorry Seoham but it's tea).

Fade is a bit more of mellow affair and while it is my least favourite of the three, it's by no means a bad song. This track houses probably the best vocals of the three and everyone sounds brilliant on it. Even Seoham sounds good on this track but it might have to do with him harmonizing with the others ddd.

ryjm: Another classic “I’ve never heard of these people but now I adore everything about them” moment. The sheer excellence of Sunset piqued my interest. The mini is short and sweet, but now I want more dammit! (LMN: Make sure you check out their earlier tracks, they aren't all vogue bops the house down boots but Back Again, U and Rain are all stellar! Also you'll get to hear former member Youjin's beautiful voice.)

Wills, Oleander, Sanctuary and 23 others like this.
  3. FINALE TIME.

These three albums fought to death for that number one spot. All three albums held the top spot for a portion of time but in the end, only one truly got hold of it.

[​IMG]

FEVER SEASON
    GFriend
    Source Music

188 points

Peak Position: 3

Voters:
    10 - @junglefish, @codecat, @vague, @Love Deluxe, @ThighHighs, @nikkysan, @He, @Oleander, @GeiPanda, @Hurricane Drunk, @savilizabeths, @BEST FICTION
    9 - @Serg., @SloMover
    8 - @eliminathan, @Empty Shoebox, @ohnostalgia
    7 - @RUNAWAY
    6 - @Slice of Life
    5 - @ysev
    4 - @Cotton Park, @Vixen

GFriend came close but had to settle with third place in the end. This is Fever Season, the group's eighth mini album and the second one they released just this year. Hardworking legends!

Fever Season consists of seven songs: the single Fever, and the album tracks Mr. Blue, Smile, Wish, Paradise, Hope and the Korean version of Flower. And as expected, GFriend came through with another quality album. For a group that produces so much music, the quality of their releases never dips below par. How do they do it? With talent, I guess.

Fever Season, like last year's Sunny Summer, is marketed as a summer album. I admit I love GFriend's more dramatic side but it cannot be denied that they own summer season as well. I mean, they invented summer after all with 2016's Navillera. I don't make the rules.

And don't worry if for some reason you hate summer songs. GFriend's version of summer boppery isn't just limited to tropical house. Mr. Blue, the second track, features such rich instrumentation that I can confidently say it's a bop for all seasons. Smile goes harder than Fever and Mr. Blue. The production's kinda rough sound (especially in the chorus) is a nice contrast to the girls' sweet vocals.

Fifth track Paradise has a jazzy element to it that I haven't heard from GFriend before. I bet this sounds lush next to Red Velvet's LP from the Zimzalabim mini album. Sixth track, Hope, is a familiar GFriend sound though. The retro vibes are strong on this one. The album ends with the Korean version of Flower, and WIG. Flower is of course GFriend's second original Japanese single and it's even gorgeous in the Korean language. The Latin flair is as fabulous as ever and I'm glad I'm seeing a lot of praise for the song.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm kinda pressed Fever Season didn't win or at least hit top 2. But I only gave it six points so I only have myself to blame. But god is this album so gorgeous though. GFriend may be past their commercial peak but I'm glad they keep reaching creative peaks with every new release. Can you say the same for your faves? I don't think so.

codecat: I am a Buddy and I thank God everyday for that. A great mini and Big 3 ascension in the same month...they hate to see it!

ThighHighs: A collection of supremely boppy bops. They didn't disappoint.

Cotton Park: Wasn't big on the single but a really good album.

Vixen: Not my favorite offering, but still a decent effort nonetheless!

eliminathan: In true GFRIEND fashion, the album is full of all killer, no filler. None of the songs really HIT ME in the same way that Rainbow or You are not alone did, but that's a tough thing to ask for.

Wills, Deja-Boo, Oleander and 22 others like this.
  4. 2

[​IMG]

THE PARK IN THE NIGHT, PT. THREE
    GWSN
    Kiwi Pop

194 points

Peak Position: 2

Voters:
    10 - @FunkyButChic, @Empty Shoebox, @Squashua
    9 - @OspreyQueen, @PopZeitgeist, @vague, @ThighHighs, @Slice of Life, @Vesperly, @GeiPanda, @savilizabeths, @Kuhleezi, @ohnostalgia
    8 - @junglefish, @Coming Century, @RUNAWAY, @Island, @Hurricane Drunk, @SloMover
    7 - @ryjm, @Deja-Boo
    6 - @Cotton Park, @Oleander

I'm so shqqk. This isn't a dream, right? GWSN's latest album, the fantastic The Park in the Night, Pt. Three, is really in second place??? And honestly, if I closed the voting lines on time, this would've won. But second place is more than enough for now.

The Park in the Night, Pt. Three is the third mini album of GWSN, or Girls in the Park. This follows The Park in the Night, Pt. Two, released just a few months ago, which is another stellar album from these monster rookies.

The Park in the Night, Pt. Two is one of my most favourite K-Pop releases of 2019 but even then, I thought for sure it was just a fluke. But on just my first listen of The Park in the Night, Pt. Three, all my doubts are erased completely. Pt. Three completely obliterated the quality of Pt. Two which is just crazy to me.

GWSN are one of the most un-hyped newer girl groups in K-Pop. I don't even see Stan Twitter really stanning them and Stan Twitter is known to hype up the nuguest of nugu girl groups. Maybe that's why they remain one of the few best kept secrets in K-Pop. So I felt like it was duty to at least spread the news of Pt. Three's amazingness and so I made this post. It got 20 likes and I hope that that little post helped advance the GWSN agenda.

What makes Pt. Three so great to me is how cohesive it is. Whoever came up with this tracklist sequencing needs a raise. The run from All Mine (Coast of Azure) to Night Aviation (The Interpretation of Dreams) to Total Eclipse (Black Out) is especially stunning. My wig has been permanently displaced.

In my initial post promoting the album, I noted that my faves were Night Aviation (The Interpretation of Dreams), Total Eclipse (Black Out), and Kind of Cool. And while those three songs are still faves, I'm not sure if they are still my absolute faves. Because the other five tracks are just as equally iconique. This album is the definition of all-killer, no filler. Every song serves a purpose.

Again, if you enjoy the music of Red Velvet, LOOΠΔ or WJSN, please, please, PLEASE give this album a listen. I promise it won't disappoint. At worst, you will pick up at least two new favourite songs. I am so excited for GWSN's future. If they can release another album with this level of genius, I might have to devote my life to them. I'm not kidding.

OspreyQueen: The first four songs here would make a satisfying enough mini alone. Any one of them could easily have been the title (although they definitely made the right choice with Red-Sun). But unfortunately the quality does slip a bit for the latter half of the mini, so I’ve had to demote it to second place to make way for…a certain other album.

FunkyButChic: One of the best albums of the year. 8 tracks and I love each song—not everybody has that.

ryjm: I wasn’t totally convinced by Part Two of this series, but Part 3 certainly delivers the goods. The girls are really starting to hone their craft and are churning out some absolute bops along the way. Every single track here is stellar, but Black Out and Kind Of Cool are the clear standouts. The whole mini is a remarkably consistent and enjoyable listen.

ThighHighs: SO GOOD! Who knew? (SOL: ME BINCH.)

Cotton Park: Magnificent album.

5. 1

[​IMG]

IT'Z ICY
    ITZY
    JYP Entertainment

223 points

Peak Position: 1

Voters:
    10 - @ysev, @OspreyQueen, @PopZeitgeist, @evilsin, @Rem, @Kuhleezi, @ohnostalgia, @bbynewyear
    9 - @junglefish, @Love Deluxe, @ryjm, @Empty Shoebox, @Artemisia
    8 - @Serg., @vague, @ThighHighs, @Oleander, @BEST FICTION
    7 - @codecat, @Island, @GeiPanda, @Hurricane Drunk, @SloMover, @Squashua
    6 - @Coming Century
    5 - @nikkysan
    3 - @Slice of Life
    2 - @Sanctuary

And with that, we crown ITZY's first mini album, IT'z ICY, as our number one album for July 2019. Congratulations, girlies!

IT'z ICY is composed of five songs: the single Icy, album tracks Cherry and IT'z Summer, and two remixes. I'm not the biggest fan of this album but I get why it is number one. I'll leave it that. I'll let y'all have this.

IT'z ICY is such a confident debut album. ITZY don't have the strongest vocalists but the charisma is palpable here. The three new songs, Icy, Cherry and IT'z Summer, perfectly position ITZY as the leading girl group of their generation. These songs are so full of character, so full of life, and so full of star power, it's kinda scary. And I love that they don't sound super commercial, if that make sense. Of course, these songs are still lovingly K-Pop but I don't know, they just don't sound as accessible. I can't imagine any other girl group singing these songs. That's the ITZY Print, I guess.

I even love the remixes for God's sake. The Dallask Remix of Dalla Dalla is especially special. That chorus... Jesus Christ. It actually sounds even more bombastic??? My poor smelly wig. The Imad Royal Remix of Want It? snatches too. I just wanna twerk my nonexistent ass to this. Stop me pls.

IT'z ICY isn't the best K-Pop album of July 2019 and I stand by it. Drag me all you want, I'm ready. But it's still a good album and I can very much see the appeal. It's the sound of the arrival of a girl group that is destined to rule the K-Pop world in the next few years. And I welcome them with open arms.

OspreyQueen: While I’m not big on the title song, listening to this mini in full is just a whole load of fun. Every song is primed for you to throw all your cares away and go HAM to. And then when it’s done you just wanna play it again. I can’t think of another K-Pop release from this year that’s just so instantly gratifying.

ryjm: IT’Z ICY is literally non-stop balls-to-the-wall megabops and I absolutely live for it. The onslaught of Icy, Cherry, and IT’Z Summer nearly killed me. ITZY are all about delivering the bangers and their first full mini proves they ain’t playing around unnie. It’s nice to finally have a sense of what ITZY’s signature sound is and it’s already impressive to see the versatility on display. I’ve already gushed about Cherry, it’s a stone cold moody bop and I’m already obsessed. IT’z Summer follows the familiar blueprint of ICY & Dalla Dalla and is just as enjoyable. Kii at the Want It? Remix actually making the song infinitely more enjoyable.

ThighHighs: I don't understand why the Z is lowercase, but I love the bops this album provides. Good work gyals.

6. Of course.
    But your write up was lovely @Slice of Life so I can forgive your 6 points.

Rem, Oleander, ThighHighs and 11 others like this.
  7. GFriend was robbed.

[​IMG]

8. Our Buddy asses trying to give ITZY slightly less points so GFRIEND still win but failing.

The MIDZY in us jumped out.

[​IMG]

Wills, Oleander, ThighHighs and 16 others like this.
  9. And yet you gave your 10 points to Baekhyun.

[​IMG]

Rem, Oleander, Sanctuary and 15 others like this.
  10. I'm not even a buddy and I gave them a 9.
    Some so called GFriend supporters gave them 0 while decorating Itzy interiors with 10s.

[​IMG]

11. 《MAIN CHART》
    SONGS

[​IMG]

FACE
    Woosung
    from the Wolf mini album
    J&Star Company

33 points

Peak Position: 20

Voters:
    8 - @ryjm, @Sanctuary
    6 - @savilizabeths
    4 - @ThighHighs
    3 - @eccentricsimply, @eliminathan
    1 - @Vixen

The Rose's leader, Kim Woosung makes his solo debut with the album WOLF, with FACE being the title track (even though he released Lonely as a pre-release track prior). While this isn't usually the type of song I listen to, I gave it a chance because of how much I listened to Sorry by The Rose*, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The song has a very groovy instrumental, especially with the deep bass in the chorus. Woosung sounds amazing as usual with his slightly husky (or wolf-y) voice. He kind of overdoes it with the little vibrato flourish on every second word ddd but that doesn't ruin the song at all. The video is really cute too, I love when the set is a simple room with a solid colour it makes everything pop in the shots.

I know this hasn't exactly been a glowing review of the song but I only gave it a 3 so give me a break nñn.

* I didn't have internet for a week near the end of 2017 and the last tw
    o youtube videos I opened were The Rose's Sorry and Drug Restaurant's Mistake so I listened to the two of them on repeat all week because the videos were already fully loaded ddd. Drug Restaurant are absolutely cancelled and trash though which means The Rose are on thin ice by proxy, so hearing that Sammy uses the R word in one of his album tracks is not the tea.

ryjm: KPOP’s answer to The Weeknd’s I Can’t Feel My Face – naturally South Korea does it better. I have never paid attention to Kim WooSung’s group but consider me perched by this funky lil’ song. His voice is wonderfully seductive and restrained yet explodes with gritty passion when the chorus comes in. There’s something incredibly relatable about oppa shouting “I LIKE YOUR FACE”, he clearly has about as much tact as I do. The video is weird (it’s KPOP, go figure) but I love the representation of different body types/people. I like your face too oppa.

ThighHighs: This is sexy, fun, and produced like crazy. I love it!

Vixen: Nice video. Song could be better, but it has decent replay value.

Wills, Deja-Boo, Rem and 19 others like this.
  12. The taste of some people who are not even Buddies but gave their 10 points to Fever Season... I see you and I appreciate you.

Rem, Oleander, ysev and 12 others like this.
  13. I haven’t been wowed by any of ITZY’s b-sides as of yet so I don’t think they’re deserving of #1 album. As of right now, they’re a singles group like their JYP brothers and sisters. GFRIEND definitely should’ve won this.

Oleander, vague, Serg. and 6 others like this.
  14. Let's just hope y'all righted the wrongs of the album charts on the song charts and gave yeojachingu the 10 they deserved.

I know y'all didn't.

15. I would’ve picked GWSN over Gfriend. I am sorry the Buddies are stressed and depressed. Betrayals by your fellow supposed stans? Where is the LOYALTY?

Oleander, ysev, vague and 3 others like this.
  16. 19

[​IMG]

CHERRY
    ITZY
    from the IT'z ICY mini album
    JYP Entertainment

34 points

Peak Position: 19

Voters:
    9 - @Rem
    8 - @PopZeitgeist
    7 - @OspreyQueen
    3 - @evilsin, @ryjm, @SloMover
    1 - @junglefish

SURPRISE! Or not. ITZY are not done slaying the competition as the album track, Cherry, successfully entered the top 20. Congrats girls!

Cherry is ITZY's most ""urban"" song yet and I don't know, I stan super hard??? It definitely doesn't sound like a single but as a standalone track, it really is solid. ITZY's singles have a certain childishness to them that I absolutely adore. But on Cherry, the girls just project maturity. Character development connoisseurs!

If Cherry if the sound ITZY are gonna pursue in the future, then I am already on board. They suit this sound to a T, it's almost scary. I especially love the non-cringeworthy rap. Iconique.

ryjm: ITZY are the new queens of bops. Cherry is a supsrisingly dark and edgy track, the production goes hard and the girls deliver a surprising amount of swag. The vocals are actually good too! (although it’s more taking than singing, so maybe that’s why dddd).

Wills, Deja-Boo, Rem and 19 others like this.
  17. 18

[​IMG]

UH-OH
    (G)I-DLE
    from the Uh-Oh single album
    Cube Entertainment

34 points

Last Month's Position: 5
    Peak Position: 5
    Months on Chart: 2

Voters:
    10 - @FunkyButChic
    9 - @Cotton Park
    7 - @Gintoki
    4 - @Squashua
    2 - @PopZeitgeist
    1 - @eccentricsimply, @GeiPanda

I did not expect this. After ""only"" reaching fifth place last month, (G)I-DLE's latest single, Uh-Oh, somehow managed to chart for July 2019 too. Iconique.

To be honest, I have not really allowed this song to grow on me. I barely listened to it dddd. But listening to it now for the sake of this review, I can say that I like Uh-Oh. Yeah, just like for now. I love the dramatic take on 90s music but the song still bops hard. But at the end of the day, it's a definite step down from the the run of LATATA, HANN, and Senorita.

The girls seriously look snatched this era though. Let's celebrate that!

Cotton Park: I still listen to this just about every day.

Wills, Deja-Boo, Rem and 20 others like this.
  18. (G)I-DLE is easily on the same level as Blackpink and Itzy in terms of charisma, chemistry, looks and talent. And they're more organic and natural, mostly, I think due to Soyeon's leadership on different levels. I find YG and JYP's "western-friendly" groups to be a little pandery. I can almost see the boardrooms and focus groups that put them together. "Ohh... the 14-19s will love this group!" Sorry, but as a marketeer, that's often how they seem to me, whereas I don't ever get that feeling from (G)I-DLE, even if they're just the same.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but I love Girdle. And "Uh oh!"

NOTE: I hate when people drag other groups to promote something they like so I've got to apologize for that and give a full disclosure: I think BP and Itzy are amazing. Just signifying why I prefer Girdle, that's all.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Wills, Oleander, ysev and 10 others like this.
  19. 17

[​IMG]

MR. BLUE
    GFriend
    from the Fever Season mini album
    Source Music

36 points

Peak Position: 17

Voters:
    8 - @GeiPanda
    7 - @junglefish, @SloMover
    6 - @Love Deluxe
    3 - @ThighHighs, @Hurricane Drunk
    2 - @nikkysan

Just when y'all thought GFriend already lost, they always find a way to still win. Ugh, the talentry is far too much. Mr. Blue, a track taken from the group's Fever Season mini album, is the highest charting album track for July 2019. YATH.

And I'm glad the Buddies/Baddies of KPJ rallied for this song because IT IS BEAUTIFUL. It definitely is one of the best songs of Fever Season. I don't wanna say it's very best because the other songs are all great to me too ddddd. Please don't make me choose today.

Written, produced, and arranged by someone called 13, Mr. Blue is really that late-summer bop that I crave for. It's honestly too good to be just an album track. It's so wistful and there's a tinge of melancholy to it that just speaks to me. Shoutout to Kween Yuju for snatching back the Main Vocalist title from Kween Eunha for this track ddddd. That high note is a work of art, sis!

ThighHighs: Summer bop. The days are already getting shorter where I live, but this song makes them feel long still.

Wills, Deja-Boo, Rem and 20 others like this.
  20. I wish I had voted for "Wish" or "Paradise" or "Mr. Blue." I listen to them all the time now. "Fever" never did it for me, even though I welcome the change of pace for Yojashingu.

(I did vote for the EP.)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Oleander, ysev, nikkysan and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.