K-Popjustice Charts | July 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts | July 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Sis we’re not stressed and depressed nn. We’re blessed and so is GFRIEND. They may not have hit #1 on KPJ’s album charts but they did in real life, which... can’t be said for GWSN.
    I love my debt-free queens.

2. Last result for tonight.

[​IMG]

ZIMZALABIM
    Red Velvet
    from the The ReVe Festival Day 1 mini album
    SM Entertainment

38 points

Last Month's Position: 2
    Peak Position: 2
    Months on Chart: 2

Voters:
    10 - @Artemisia
    9 - @SloMover
    7 - @Island
    5 - @GeiPanda
    3 - @nikkysan
    2 - @eccentricsimply, @Kuhleezi

And the highest charting older entry for July 2019 is last month's runner-up, Red Velvet's ambitious Zimzalabim.

Yes, that means last month's winner, Chungha's Snapping, has not charted. Poor it. Still love you Chungha girl! At least you got #Chungha1stWin.

But back to Zimzalabim. I'm honestly still madly in love with this, it's not even fair. For a song that's supposed to be divisive and hard to digest, Zimzalabim has quietly become one of my most played songs of the year. The song's replay value is through the roof! Unlike RBB, Zimzalabim has yet to annoy me. In fact, it continues growing on me and if we are rating it today, I'd give it a 10 in a heartbeat. I'm smitten.

I am so excited for The ReVe Festival Day 2 and of course, Red Velvet's new single which is slated for release this August. I have a feeling the song will be life-changing. Gimme it!

Deja-Boo, Rem, Oleander and 18 others like this.
  3. He

He

Zimzalabin remains beautifully terrible.

vague and Slice of Life like this.
    Rem, Oleander, ysev and 11 others like this.
  5. Crazy that Zimzallabim persists. I totally get it but, yeah, crazy.

6. We love longevity!

Oleander, vague, ysev and 5 others like this.
  7. 15

[​IMG]

ALL ABOUT YOU
    Taeyeon
    from the Hotel Del Luna OST Part 3 single album
    Kakao M / YUMYUM Entertainment

38 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 15
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    8 - @eccentricsimply, @Vixen
    6 - @Oleander
    4 - @RUNAWAY
    3 - @Rem, @Gintoki, @Remorque
    2 - @Love Deluxe
    1 - @Dangerous Maknae fake stan

All About You or A Poem Titled You is a song sung by Taeyeon for the hit Korean drama Hotel del Luna starring IU. And it's a certified hit. This is Taeyeon's second Gaon number one single for 2019. Huge congrats to the good unnie.

Unlike most of y'all, I actually stan some heartrending OST ballads especially if they are sung by Davichi or Gummy or even Ailee dddddd. So All About You is right up my alley. This is a piano ballad carried heavily by Taeyeon's emotive vocals. I know I came for Taeyeon's (in)ability to properly emote for her songs and... yeah, I officially retract that statement after just one (1) listen of All About You.

Taeyeon delivered a tremendously affecting vocal performance for All About You. I stan.

I was quite surprised when this got a nice support from the unnies. Ballads don't normally do well on KPJC... especially OST ballads. I'm glad Taeyeon's All About You survived those odds and landed at a respectable position. It fully deserves its place and more.

Vixen: Gorgeous. Breathtaking vocals, as always, from Taeyeon - as well as poignant emotions. A success!

Deja-Boo, Rem, Oleander and 20 others like this.
  8. 14

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BOOM
    NCT Dream
    from the We Boom mini album
    SM Entertainment

40 points

Peak Position: 14

Voters:
    9 - @bbynewyear
    8 - @Slice of Life
    6 - @Vixen
    5 - @PopZeitgeist, @ryjm
    4 - @savilizabeths
    2 - @Coming Century
    1 - @FunkyButChic

NUMBER 14??? I'LL TAKE IT.

NCT Dream's latest single, Boom, lands at number 14 on our charts. And I couldn't be prouder. I'm so happy NCT Dream have consistently charted here even though they only have comebacks, like, once a year. Imagine if they are given the opportunities afforded solely to NCT 127. Ugh, the wastage.

Boom is NCT Dream's first single as a six-piece outfit. Member Mark graduated last year and that was honestly one of the saddest memories of 2018 for me ddddd. Mark was more than just a leader to NCT Dream. He was heavily involved in crafting the NCT Dream sound so it does feel a little weird to listen to NCT Dream without his guidance.

But no worries. The Dreamies certainly made their Mark hyung proud with Boom. This is the sound of a group that is rapidly growing up right before our very eyes. It's definitely more mature than their previous singles like Chewing Gum, My First and Last and even just last year's We Young. Boom is much more aggressive than the usual NCT Dream offering. The rap parts are now shared between Jaemin, Jeno and Jisung and I must say, they are sounding a lot more confident now. My baby chick Jisung, the maknae, even handles vocal duties these days and his improvement is reminiscent of Taemin's journey. One day Jisung will snatch all those high notes, I just know it.

Still, NCT Dream's strength lies on their fantastic vocal line of Haechan, Renjun and Chenle. Haechan, fresh from snatching major lines in his NCT 127 stint earlier this year, now shares main vocalist duties with Renjun. In Boom, Renjun sang the high note - something that was done solely by Haechan before. And my precious little angel Chenle... Just like Jisung, he has shown tremendous improvement as well. He has always been a stable vocalist but I've always felt like he doesn't get lines that suit his level of talent. In Boom, he still hasn't quite reached his potential but he is catching up fast. I'm excited for his future.

As I've said in my We Boom album review, this could probably be NCT Dream's last comeback as six. As y'all know by now, NCT Dream are a temporary group and there will come a time when all the members will graduate. This 2019, four members are scheduled to leave the group although SM Entertainment has not made official announcement yet. My only wish is that these boys (and Mark obviously) reunite in a permanent subunit in the future. These boys are golden together and it would be a shame to never see them perform as one again. Give us a repackage, SM. I am begging.

FunkyButChic: This one’s for you Slice unnie! (SOL: THANK U BEBE.)

ryjm: This sounds like something straight out of the Timbaland era of western pop but with the typically immaculate and intricate production we’ve all come to expect from an SM artist. I get that their concept is to be the more cutesy side of NCT but I really enjoy this more mature sound for the Dream boys of NCT.

Vixen: This is not groundbreaking or anything, but it's definitely catchy enough.

bbynewyear: My gut feeling was to be shady when I first listened to this, maybe because I wanted DREAM to be *Dream* for a little longer and their 'grown up' sound could veer dangerously into the generic. GO was okay but didn't hook me in a lot of places. We Go Up was sweet. Boom is great. Starts off pretty slow and without Mark handling the bulk of the rap it's maybe a little unconvincing, but Jeno steps up!

Then the pre-chorus kicks in and MAKES this song worthwhile, it's so stylish, but SM is CRUEL for making them do all of that (excellent) choreo while singing it. Check the live stages, these boys are suffering ddddd.

Waiting on Haechan's solo moment, he's ready. Jisung's voice has evolved into something very pleasant, unexpected! Also unexpected? Chenle's cornrows, SM ain't shit!

Deja-Boo, Rem, Oleander and 23 others like this.
  9. BOOM is actually really good, but I already ran out of space before it grew on me.

And king Jeno is werking this comeback, so slay!

vague, ysev, bbynewyear and 2 others like this.
  10. 13

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIME OF OUR LIFE
    DAY6
    from the The Book of Us: Gravity mini album
    JYP Entertainment / Studio J

40 points

Peak Position: 13

Voters:
    9 - @Slice of Life
    6 - @Deja-Boo
    5 - @Coming Century, @nikkysan
    4 - @FunkyButChic, @eliminathan, @Sanctuary
    2 - @bbynewyear
    1 - @BEST FICTION

After finishing in the top 5 with prior single Days Gone By, DAY6 kinda struggled and failed to hit top 10 with their latest single, Time of Our Life. Boohoo. Still a top 13 finish is already a huge achievement. Congrats to the best boys!

Time of Our Life was written by YoungK and composed by YoungK, Jae, Wonpil, Sungjin and Hong Ji-sang. Dowoon contributed his cuteness. Bar Congratulations, Time of Our Life is now DAY6's most successful song yet. It reached number 80 of the weekly Gaon Digital Charts and it won a couple of music show wins too. I am so, so, so proud of the boys. They deserve this and more after spending years perfecting their sound.

And thankfully, Time of Our Life is a gorgeous little masterpiece. It's the perfect summer single. It bangs in all the right places. It sounds positive and hopeful. Listening to it always puts me in a good mood which is always a blessing in these trying times ddddd. Listening to it feels like listening to a trusted friend telling me, "it's gonna be alright." And even if it doesn't, I was willing to believe.

DAY6 have four very capable vocalists and they flex their lung power in Time of Our Life. The song is a ball of energy so it demands energetic vocals too. And DAY6 are up for the challenge. While y'all are busy yapping about Jihyo's or Lia's main vocal deficiencies, DAY6 are proudly parading their formidable vocalists. Iconique.

The music video is a feast for the eyes too although I did experience a slight panic when I saw Dowoon wear that chest-revealing top. YOU'RE GONNA GET SICK, BOY. Wear a sweater or something. Anyway, I just love that the boys were allowed to just be crazy on set especially on the last minute or so of the music video. I love seeing them happy and I got what I wanted.

FunkyButChic: Is this their best song ever? I feel like it's their best song ever. Maybe I'm being dramatic just because they've been gone for so long ddd. (SOL: DDDD their last album was released just last December unnie.)

eliminathan: I'm really happy they got their first win finally but the song isn't one of the few that I look to DAY6 for. I do prefer it to some of the really sappy ones though so there's that. (SOL: It's okay bih. As long as you gave them points xoxo.)

bbynewyear: This is the first track of theirs that I've listened to. Do they always perform with instruments... is that their thing? The song is a total anime opening, I respect that. (SOL: YATH, they always perform with instruments. They play them live during concerts but not during music shows like Inkigayo and the like.)

11. 12

[​IMG]

UN VILLAGE
    Baekhyun
    from the City Lights mini album
    SM Entertainment

41 points

Peak Position: 12

Voters:
    10 - @RUNAWAY
    7 - @eccentricsimply, @Vixen
    5 - @Serg., @Island
    4 - @Coming Century
    3 - @enjoy v2.0

I'd like to keep this review short and sweet, unnies. I don't want to sound too negative. Y'all EXO-Ls should've really signed up to write this review. Sigh.

UN Village is the debut solo single of Baekhyun. If y'all didn't know, Baekhyun is one of EXO's main vocalists. And he showed his main vocal talents here on UN Village. But first let us answer this question: What is UN Village?

Well, UN Village is a high-end neighborhood in Seoul where a lot of famous celebrities reside. Think PSY. Think Big Bang. Think BTS' Suga. Think Kang Daniel. UN Village is a hot topic these days after it was revealed that Kang Daniel lived there and he and his girlfriend, Jihyo of Twice, spend their dates on his house in UN Village. So yeah, a little fun fact for y'all. You're welcome.

UN Village is an extremely competent single. It perfectly introduces Baekhyun as a bankable soloist. His vocals are somehow muted on UN Village which was quite a shock to me at first. If you like a different take on Korean R&B (or at least different from Crush's or Dean's brand), then UN Village is for you. I'm just not big on this kind of sound. But I totally I understand why a lot of y'all connected with this.

Vixen: This is better than it deserves to be. Great and subtle vocals here. The perfect balance between something melodic and well-crafted, yet not forced or unauthentic. A great slice of moody RnB pop.

Deja-Boo, Rem, Oleander and 21 others like this.
  12. I wasn't gonna post any result today because I'm already mentally and physically exhausted. But I felt bad so here's one (1) result for today. Regular posting of results will resume tomorrow night. xoxo

[​IMG]

MOVIE STAR
    CIX
    from the Hello Chapter 1: Hello, Stranger mini album
    C9 Entertainment

45 points

Peak Position: 11

Voters:
    10 - @ysev
    7 - @FunkyButChic, @Coming Century
    6 - @Slice of Life, @Sanctuary
    5 - @Vixen
    4 - @ryjm

Debuting just outside the top 10 is CIX with their first single, Movie Star. And I just have to ask: why are the rookie boy groups snapping so hard this year??? I'm shaken. CIX join a long list of rookie boy groups (includes TXT, VERIVERY, ONEUS, AB6IX, among others) who got their debut single right.

Movie Star is a sleek and sensual debut single. But despite the rather understated vibe of the song, it is also a gigantic bop??? Get you a girl who can do both! The boys have decent vocals and they sound particularly impressive on Movie Star. The song has a strong R&B edge to it and I personally find R&B songs harder to sing. But the CIX boys impress. They kept it simple and kept the vocals rather understated as well. Save for the minimal ad libs, there is no vocal wankery here which I actually appreciate.

The visuals are great too and I'm not just talking about the boys' physical beauty. The music video is a feast to the eyes too. The fashion is A+++. The choreography is sexy but not inappropriate (as I'm guessing these boys are barely 18). And yes, the boys do look pretty. Bae Jinyoung from Wanna One is an ace center and I love that he is so confident now. The other four members don't slack off in the beauty department too.

Overall, I am very impressed with Movie Star. It's not the most original debut single ever but it is enough to pique my interest. Movie Star definitely made me immediately notice CIX from the million other younger boy groups. Huge congrats!

ryjm: CIX really did that with their debut! I totally agree with those who said this seemed more like a comeback from a well-established group. The boys sound so assured and refined in their delivery of the track. The music video is beautiful and I’m sure SM noticed the suspiciously similar aesthetic. CIX deserve their win and the recognition they’re getting with this impressive release.

Vixen: Not gonna lie, I was more enthusiastic about it when I first heard the teaser. The chorus is the best part of the song, but within the context of the rest of the track (which is inferior), it didn't meet my full expectations. Still, a very colorful and catchy chorus, very reminiscent of something EXO could release when they're feeling their poppier side.

13. No rush sis, your well-being comes first! Hope you're doing alright

[​IMG]

Rem, Oleander, ThighHighs and 16 others like this.
  14. That Day 6 track is really growing on me, should've put it higher in my rate :((( Boom at 14 is good enuf for me!

Take it easy and take your time Slice, hope you feel better!

Oleander, ThighHighs, evilsin and 7 others like this.
  15. Omfg I think I worded that statement poorly. I'm okay girls. I'm mentally exhausted because I'm planning the itinerary for my upcoming trip next week. And I'm physically exhausted because I did the laundry for my whole family ddddddd. But I'm really okay! Thanks for all the concern! ♡♡♡

Rem, Oleander, ThighHighs and 16 others like this.
  16. OK but that's real tea though. Laundry is a binch.
    [​IMG]

Glad you're ok unnie ♡

Rem, Oleander, ThighHighs and 11 others like this.
  17. I didn't vote this month because I hadn't listened to enough k-pop, but I swear I don't know ... 80% of the songs that are already out. I feel like I'm always two/three weeks behind on k-pop releases.

18. Use this to catch up with the July releases.

I have also already started the August playlist.

Oleander, vague, ysev and 11 others like this.
  19. Thank you!! I am listening to it now, and I love "Happy Now". I literally know only three songs on the August playlist.

20. TOP 10 TIME LET'S GET IT

[​IMG]

ROOM SHAKER
    Ailee
    from the butterFLY album
    YMC Entertainment

55 points

Peak Position: 10

Voters:
    8 - @Serg., @evilsin, @Kuhleezi
    7 - @Oleander
    6 - @enjoy v2.0, @Squashua
    5 - @vague
    3 - @Sanctuary
    2 - @savilizabeths
    1 - @ryjm, @Gintoki

Ailee is back after two full years of absence with the absolute bop that is Room Shaker. Kween of OST Ballads no more.

Room Shaker is taken from Ailee's second regular album, butterFLY. The weird thing is, Ailee has not performed this on music shows like Inkigayo or even lower-tier shows like The Show. @Empty Shoebox unnie has explained the reason to this in detail so I advise y'all to read that post instead. Despite YMC Entertainment's sabotage, Room Shaker still charted at number 54 in the Gaon Digital Charts. This could be considered a flop for Ailee's standards (she has 9 top 10 hits; two of those are number 1s) but I will consider this a win.

Ailee is most known for her ballads (Heaven still being my absolute favourite) but she does occasionally releases bops. But in terms of boppability, Room Shaker is on another level. When I first heard the song, I was legitimately taken aback. This was not the Ailee I expected omfg. The absolute serve.

I had to cut Room Shaker from my ballot at the very last minute because of a certain boy group song dddddd. While I enjoy listening to Room Shaker from time to time, I don't see myself really returning to it that much in the future. It's just not the type of music I like these days. It's also not the music I wanted from Ailee. 2016's Home which featured THE KWEEN that is Yoon Mirae is the type of non-ballad single that I think suits Ailee best. Ailee danced better on Home too compared to Room Shaker ddddddd.

On a shallower level, I think Ailee served looks in the music video. While the good unnie lost a good amount of weight, she still looks deliciously thick as ever and we can only celebrate that. I really hope she finds a better agency that will treat her better and that she finds success soon.

ryjm: Ailee is not an artist I pay much attention to, but I’m a basic bitch and an absolute whore for KPOP bops, so naturally I love this.

Deja-Boo, Rem, Oleander and 19 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.