K-Popjustice Charts | June 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts | June 2019 Edition | COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Hooo~haha

[​IMG]

Are you ready for this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZIMZALABIM
    Red Velvet
    from the The ReVe Festival Day 1 mini album
    SM Entertainment

207 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 2
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    10 - @eccentricsimply, @SloMover, @nikkysan, @Coming Century, @ysev, @Island, @Oleander, @Artemisia, @GeiPanda, @Hurricane Drunk
    9 - @Serg., @ryjm, @ThighHighs, @Remorque, @Slice of Life, @Kuhleezi
    8 - @Rainbow Road, @Twinkle
    7 - @Love Deluxe, @Vesperly, @Wills, @Rem
    5 - @BEST FICTION
    2 - @savilizabeths, @Vixen

@Kuhleezi checking in at ha K-Popjustice Charts debut to talk a bit about ha ultimate bias and friends' latest comeback single. Please gimme a PAK it would be highly appreciated thanks xx

Zimzalabim 'tis only the latest of a series of c o n t r o v e r s i a l ReVe singles, with its weird ass song structure, mix of countless genres and influences, but still a relentlessly cheerful upbeat energy and catchiness that has rubbed many a feathers not the right way. I mean, you only need to look at the outfits dd to get this is an iconically Red Velvet Red Velvet comeback.

Personally, I find all of this something that only adds to the song's unique charm. The way it shifts from marching band to f(x) to 2011 Rihanna to everything all together; the way it crams a pre-chorus right after the first chorus and then goes 'oh nvm here's the second verse'; the way it still finds space to send us a familiar lifeline with the smoothest of ReVe bridges; the way it doesn't resolve but builds and builds till the last burst of post-verbal liberation aka the joyously cathartic ReVe 'consonant sound + a' hooks.

I get it, it's really messy. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm so happy that my girls are out there releasing these weird ass songs (and this time with a lot more meat on its bones compared to a certain other previous endeavor). I'm not usually one to care about the popularity, but I guess this time will be the exception and I'm so glad this seems to be another hit for Red Velvet. It means there's a commercial space for their thing other than a purely artistic one. And that's extremely important for a group like Red Velvet, where in my opinion they will have to constantly push forward to stay at the top of their game. And if this mini is anything to go by, I'm super hopeful and optimistic.

One thing I've noticed is that this song was super divisive on release day, but it seems to win over more and more people over time. Slow month and all that, but I was expecting this to rank a bit lower, and this may be proof of that. Your comments also seem to suggest that. Who knows, maybe there will be more converts in time for the rate. Not that I would like it or anything.

nikkysan: The girls are gonna need all the help they can get after the reception it got on here but I swear this song is a grower! It does get better and more palatable with every listen. The last 20 seconds really EXPLODE.

savilizabeths: What a clusterfuck. It doesn't work at all, but it also does. A part of me wanted to put this higher on my list, because I do actually really enjoy it. But something just made me want to...not. I'll keep bopping, but it's definitely not on my list of favourite Red Velvet tracks.

Vesperly: !!!!!!!!

ryjm: Red Velvet really are SM’s answer to serving f(x)’s experimental music to the new generation. They truly are the spiritual successors to f(x), while their releases are a lot peppier, their songs are becoming even more bizarre with each comeback. I totally understand the legitimate criticisms this song gets – there’s an element of whiplash but I absolutely love the sheer insanity of it all. While the chorus could be critiqued as being lazy and one note, it’s so addictive and already engrained into my brain. The dance break is pretty damn lit and again reminds of f(x) in the best way. There’s so much going on in the song to the point that each repeated listen is just as rewarding as the last, revealing another layer of intricacies amongst all the bombast. The middle 8 is a fleeting moment of respite and serves a brief glimpse of their Velvet side before the triumphant final round of the magical (and somewhat demonic) chorus. While this is no Red Flavour, the good sistren delivered yet another summer bop.

ThighHighs: Queens of MESS! The first listen was a true experience, and it took me at least 10 listens for the chorus not to stick out like a sore thumb. Eventually, once it all clicked together, I saw this for what it truly is: ART!

Vixen: This grew on me a whole lot eventually, but I still think it's insanely weaker than like at least four other albumtracks. Yes, I understand that the structure and unusual chorus lends the song the "wow" factor it needs to be a title song, but it's just...literally...inferior to the b-sides. My favorite part of the song is the bridge which is, admitedly, gorgeous. Wendy sounds absolutely fucking amazing on it.

2. He

He

Ok, but why is the choreo so ugly?

ryjm and Slice of Life like this.
  3. I’m not ready for Zimzalabim to be tanked in the year end rate and we get another Top 10 full of female solos and nugu girl groups.

Rem, eliminathan, ThighHighs and 8 others like this.
  4. I am.

Rem, vague, OspreyQueen and 11 others like this.
  5. Just say LOONA.

Rem, vague, eliminathan and 16 others like this.
  6. He

He

Heaven.

vague, ryjm, evilsin and 5 others like this.
  7. After people tanked Good Evening only because it was a boy group song I don't really care much for what the year end result is nñn

eliminathan, ryjm, evilsin and 5 others like this.
  8. LOONA have to actually release music first. It ain't happening right now huh

The new BLACKPINK! Although I guess we can't complain their discography is small...

Rem, vague, eliminathan and 9 others like this.
  9. He

He

The boy group cull was embarrassing, and I say this as a misandrist.

Rem, OspreyQueen, eliminathan and 8 others like this.
  10. Sorry for the delay ddddd. I have no Internet connection in the office JAHSFKJASHFJK.

Anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SNAPPING
    Chungha
    from the Flourishing mini album
    MNH Entertainment

242 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 1
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    10 - @enjoy v2.0, @ryan_riot92, @evilsin, @ThighHighs, @Remorque, @vague, @ohnostalgia
    9 - @He, @Island, @Vixen, @Oleander, @GeiPanda, @Empty Shoebox
    8 - @SloMover, @Dangerous Maknae, @codecat, @Love Deluxe, @BEST FICTION, @Slice of Life
    7 - @nikkysan, @ysev, @ryjm, @Kuhleezi
    6 - @PopZeitgeist
    5 - @Hurricane Drunk
    4 - @Sanctuary, @Rainbow Road, @savilizabeths, @Twinkle, @Rem
    3 - @RUNAWAY, @Squashua, @eliminathan
    2 - @Deja-Boo

And after a couple of top 5 finishes, Chungha ascends to top spot with her excellent new single, Snapping. What kind of appropriate title? She truly snapped.

Snapping is the lead single of Chungha's third mini album, Flourishing. Ditching Black Eyed Pilseung in favour of Park Woo-sang, Snapping sees Chungha exploring new territory. While previous single Gotta Go was all about understated sensuality, Snapping is an all-out banger.

Even as a big Chungha stan, I was pretty worried when I didn't see Black Eyed Pilseung's name as the producer of Snapping. No, I don't think Chungha is only great when she works with Black Eyed Pilseung. But it cannot be denied that her best singles, Roller Coaster and Gotta Go, are Black Eyed Pilseung creations. It didn't help that the actual producer of Snapping is a close collaborator of Mamamoo dddddd. No tea, no shade, I just didn't want and need a Mamamoo-inspired single from Chungha.

But I breathed a sigh of relief when I finally listened to the song. There was no reason to worry. This is Chungha we're talking about. Of course she will come through. The song is fire! Like, literally, listening to it makes me feel like Chungha is about to set the building on fire. This is the sound of a superstar performing in full capacity.

My favourite part of the song is definitely the post-chorus.

I know, I know
    I don't, I don't (care)
    Snapping, ooh, snapping snapping

[​IMG]

I know, I know
    I don't, I don't (mind)
    Snapping, ooh, snapping snapping

[​IMG]

Unbothered Kween! She sounds so confident, so sure of herself. This is ever clearer when you watch the music video. What a fucking moment! Blonde Chungha is a serve and a half! Even with three dozens of dancers surrounding her, Chungha stands her ground and stands out the most. She's literally so little (yath represent us shorties, unnie!) but on stage she just hogs the spotlight whole. Kween!

I think it speaks volumes that Snapping isn't even my most favourite song of hers (it's just third dddd) and yet I stan like a rabid dog all the same. It's a testament of Chungha's undeniable star power and I cannot wait for more amazing music from her. I feel like she's just getting started. She's scary.

enjoy v2.0: This one is a bop, it goes off in the car and Chung Ha sounds amazing on it.

nikkysan: This girl is the next Sunmi, mark my words.

ryan_riot92: Let’s just rename this song to ‘SNATCHING’ for all the weaves lost this month. Dare I say this is her best release yet? Maybe so. QUEEN.

savilizabeths: It's no 'Gotta Go' for me, but it's Chungha and she's just a goddamn iconic queen. The blonde is perfect, her vocals are strong as hell and both the pre-chorus and post-chorus are highlights for me. This song is another instance of me being a little underwhelmed on first listen, and falling more and more in love every time I hear it. I will say, I think I'm ready for that Chungha stan card.

ryjm: While this may not be as euphoric as Rollercoaster, or breezy as Love U (or as deafening as Why Don’t You Know ddd), Snapping is such a serve and I am so impressed with the constant growth of I.O.Is most successful graduate. This is such a perfect follow up to the more serious and sultry sound Chung Ha started to explore with Gotta Go. There’s a sense that Chunga Ha has really honed her craft and has a real vision for her artistic trajectory. The video is disgustingly beautiful, and I still remain utterly bemused at how otherworldly she is, unnie is mythical levels of beautiful. While the song has a somewhat nostalgic noughties vibe, it sounds incredibly fresh. I’m so damn excited to see what she does next.

ThighHighs: This isn't the complete annihilation of the month that I hoped it would be, but it's still so good! The choreo is as good as we've come to expect, but it's the production that I really love here! I think someone on here said it's kinda early-00s sounding, and they're dead on!

Vixen: This is fantastic. I can't believe we've got people coming for the production on this. eye... Ya'll go listen to 'Rollercoaster' and it mixing issues kii. This is produced fantastically. She sounds pretty good on it as well, she got just the right amount of sass and attitude. It's the perfect balance. She could have gone a bit further, but the fact that it's a little bit subdued works in favor of the song. The melody is pretty strong here as well, I genuinely knew by heart how the chorus went by the end of the very first one. A great return to form for me after the fact I wasn't a big fan of 'Gotta Go'.

eliminathan: I guess you can say Chung Ha really
    did THAT
    with this single.

Empty Shoebox: Probably the best all round release this month. I'm not bowled over, but I never am, am I?

11. He

He

Deserved!

Rem, vague, Oleander and 5 others like this.
  12. I just listened to Gotta Go and Snapping back to back and I can confirm the latter is so much better than the former.

Vixen and Slice of Life like this.
  13. YATH! So happy for CHUNG HA, as this is becoming my favorite song of hers.

vague, ysev and Slice of Life like this.
  14. I can report that my eldest nephew is now a MeU after "PAPI! YAKNOW! I KINDA LIKE IT!"
    And of course he loved Sunny Side Up.
    And Zimzalabim, come to think of it.
    (Great weekend. The weather in PTown was amazing. Perfect for absolutely blasting "4 Walls" and the new RV mini while driving down Commercial St.)

PS: VIDEO COMING SOON! VERY!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    vague, Oleander, ysev and 8 others like this.
  15. 《SLICE OF SPOTIFY》

16. 《SLICE OF RECAP》

SONGS:
    01. Chungha - Snapping
    242 points

02. Red Velvet - Zimzalabim
    207 points

03. Twice - Breakthrough
    149 points

04. Red Velvet - Sunny Side Up!
    141 points

05. (G)I-DLE - Uh-Oh
    138 points

06. WJSN - Boogie Up
    126 points

07. Sulli - Goblin
    97 points

08. Stray Kids - Side Effects
    61 points

09. BoA - Feedback (feat. Nucksal)
    59 points

10. fromis_9 - FUN!
    59 points

11. SAAY - ZGZG
    55 points

12. WJSN - Oh My Summer
    54 points

13. CLC - Me
    41 points

14. Red Velvet - Bing Bing
    41 points

15. ATEEZ - Wave
    39 points

16. WJSN - Let's Dance
    38 points

17. SF9 - RPM
    36 points

18. Monsta X - Who Do U Love (feat. French Montana)
    35 points

19. Red Velvet - LP
    34 points

20. Sulli - Dorothy
    32 points

《BUBBLING UNDER》

21. Somi - Birthday
    31 points

22. JeA - Dear. Rude (feat. Cheetah)
    30 points

23. Chungha - Flourishing
    28 points

24. IZ*ONE - Buenos Aires
    28 points

25. NCT Dream & HRVY - Don't Need Your Love
    26 points

ⓀⓅⒿⒸ

ALBUMS:
    01. Red Velvet - The ReVe Festival Day 1
    316 points

02. Chungha - Flourishing
    240 points

03. WJSN - For The Summer
    219 points

04. Sulli - Goblin
    118 points

05. SF9 - RPM
    85 points

06. fromis_9 - Fun Factory
    80 points

07. Stray Kids - Clé 2: Yellow Wood
    57 points

08. ATEEZ - Treasure EP.3: One to All
    56 points

09. Oh My Girl - The Fifth Season
    50 points

10. Twice - Fancy You
    44 points

11. LOOΠΔ - [X X]
    33 points

12. BIBI - The Manual For People Who Want To Love
    30 points

13. Yunho/U-Know - True Colors
    30 points

14. JeA - Newself
    29 points

15. IZ*ONE - Buenos Aires
    26 points

《BUBBLING UNDER》

16. EXID - We
    24 points

17. Wonder Girls - Reboot
    22 points

18. BerryGood - Fantastic
    17 points

18. Yerin Baek - Our love is great
    17 points

20. LOOΠΔ - [+ +]
    16 points

21. Leo - Muse
    14 points

22. Katie - Log
    14 points

23. OnlyOneOf - dot point jump
    13 points

24. Teen Top - Dear. N9NE
    13 points

25. Lovelyz - Once Upon a Time
    11 points

17. Zimzalabim being #2 is ... unexpected.

I love that Snapping started playing when I opened the last page of the thread. Truly her first 10/10 song.

Vixen likes this.
  18. Thank you to our guest hosts, @Kuhleezi, @BEST FICTION, and @Cotton Park!!! All are first time reviewers! All are iconique!!! ♡♡♡

Slice of Flops and Tea Zone won't be posted tonight. They will be posted Saturday night because I have to give all my attention now to a fucking school assignment.

THANK U EVERYONE FOR ANOTHER GREAT MONTH OF KPJC!!! ♡♡♡

Love Deluxe, Deja-Boo, Rem and 21 others like this.
  19. Rem, vague, Oleander and 13 others like this.
  20. I didn't wanna vote for Snapping for Zimzala-trategic reasons but it's such a good song, so it's a deserved win.

Thanks everyone for another great month! x

Sanctuary, Rem, vague and 10 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.