K-Popjustice Charts - May 2018 Edition - COMPLETE RESULTS | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts - May 2018 Edition - COMPLETE RESULTS

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, May 23, 2018.

?

What should be the group name of the winning Mix Produce Uni+ trainees?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2018.
  1. Pink Twelvet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rainbow Gâteau

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. (9) PSHs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Knotty Pine Juice

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. ΠOOΠΔ / POOPD

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  6. (KPJ)I-DLE

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. BOMM

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. 3rdSTY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. L-Gin-9

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. Ali9nmen-T

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 7

[​IMG]

LOVE YOURSELF: TEAR
    BTS
    Big Hit Entertainment

21 POINTS

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 7
    Months on Chart: 1

VOTERS:
    4 - @Ceir
    3 - @Monkey0, @eliminathan
    2 - @eccentricsimply, @ryjm, @Sanctuary, @Overdose
    1 - @PopZeitgeist, @ThighHighs, @ThisIsRogue

THE FIRST K-POP ALBUM TO REACH THE TOP SPOT OF BILLBOARD HOT 200. ICONIQUE.

Love Yourself: Tear is the record-breaking new album of BTS. It's also the second installment of BTS' Love Yourself series - coming after the also extremely successful Love Yourself: Her album.

To be honest, I expected this to reach at least the top 5 here on KPJC but I guess MisandryJustice won't let that happen kekeke.

I didn't really connect with this on first listen which is a shame but I also remember hearing really good songs here and there which is always amazing. The Steve Aoki-assisted The Truth Untold is beautiful, dear God. It's no wonder it's doing so well on the Korean charts despite not being a single. The unnies who are looking for bops should really listen to Anpanman and So What as well.

ThighHighs: I didn't have room for Fake Love on my song ballot (u.u) but the album is actually really good! 134340 is my favorite album track. That jazz flute does it for me!

eliminathan: I have to be honest I haven't listened to the full album but I did accidentally hear the first four songs and I absolutely love them. The truth untold is probably my favourite BTS song now and Steve Aoki WENT OFF on it (probably, I don't know what he did on the song). Singularity was also good, as well as Fake love obviously. 134340 sounds bizarre but not at all in a bad way. It's really jazzy.

ryjm: Kii at me back tracking on this quicker than Yang Hyun Suk does on the “imminent” BlackPink comeback (2030 is going to be lit y’all, I can’t wait for the Chinese version of As If It’s Your Last). Initially I was super disappointed with this release; now call me a basic bitch but I thoroughly enjoyed LOVE YOURSELF 承 ‘Her’, and I felt like this is a step down from that. Nothing particularly grabbed me on first listen, but this release has revealed itself to be a bit of a slow burner. The latter half of the album is where things really start to pick up and get more interesting (ok, boptastic), ending on a powerful and emotive note with Outro: Tear. (SOL: I agree that the album is weirdly back-loaded. Why were the bops relegated to the latter half? I'm shqqk.)

Ceir: Anpaman and Airplane pt. 2 earned them this spot.

Monkey0: NUMBER 1 ON BILLBOARD. Slaying the world while your favs are rotting in “pre-debut stage”. (SOL: HJDHGISDFSAHASG I'M SCREAMING. Messy unnie is messy.)

evilsin, Ceir, Sanctuary and 18 others like this.
  2. This album is highkey a mess, almost takes me back to their pre-HYYH stuff.

Slice of Life likes this.
  3. 6

[​IMG]

TIME FOR THE MOON NIGHT
    GFriend
    Source Music

24 POINTS

Last Month's Position: 2
    Peak Position: 2
    Months on Chart: 2

VOTERS:
    5 - @junglefish, @Artemisia
    4 - @BEST FICTION
    3 - @ThighHighs, @GeiPanda
    2 - @He
    1 - @Overdose

And the highest charting 'old' album this edition is GFriend's Time for the Moon Night. Congrats to @junglefish and @Artemisia unnies. Y'all are the real Buddy MVPs.

This is still such a strong collection of songs and I'm glad some of y'all have finally seen the light. The Love Bug-Flower Garden-Tik Tik one-two-three punch still snatches weaves two months later.

ThighHighs: This one has really grown on me even more than last month. Tik Tik and Flower Garden are still incredible.

4. Dreamcatcher are sort of turning into the female K.A.R.D in terms of redundancy with their titles.

BTS' album was just plain bad.

vague, Island, Aries and 2 others like this.
  5. TOP 5 TIME!!!

[​IMG]

CLAASSIC
    SAAY
    Universal Music

40 POINTS

Peak Position: 5

VOTERS:
    5 - @Slice of Life, @Monkey0, @Kuhleezi, @Ceir, @Island
    4 - @Squashua
    3 - @Oleander, @BEST FICTION, @ThisIsRogue
    2 - @ohnostalgia

Suddenly the K-IndieJustice Unnie is me. Kekeke.

CLAASSIC is the first full length album of SAAY, a former member of the girl group EVOL. Nugu experts will probably best remember EVOL for their girl crush debut single, We Are A Bit Different.

But she has since reinvented herself as an indie chanteuse and has released standalone singles for a year now. Finally, she released her first full length album and oh wow, this is special.

I didn't expect this to be so good, help.

Her voice is especially noteworthy. The confidence, the range, the flow. It's perfect for R&B music. Don't let the indie tag scare you. There is nothing YouTube background music about this.

I honestly still can't choose my faves because I just heard this a few days ago ddddddd. I'll let the K-IndieJustice unnies who truly know SAAY give y'all their recommendations.

Squashua: @Ceir would have me exiled, banished and left in a muddy field of pestilence somewhere if I didn't vote for this but honestly I do so with pleasure because this is an A-Grade K-r'n'b opus which even the USA girls would kill for. Personal highlights for me are the sultry, sexy Circle, the achingly cool Overzone, the jazzy midnight Miami shimmer of Rainbow Car and Encore's straight-up knockout, belt at the full range of your lungs old-school jammery.

Monkey0: BUY IT. STREAM IT. WORHSIP IT. Girl delivered album full of bops that leave you hyperventilating.

Kuhleezi: Quickly becoming my favorite Korean release of the year. Everything's just so interesting and vivid, a technicolor world to joyfully lose yourself into.

Ceir: WOOOOO BOY. Who asked for 18 fucking tracks of 90s and Early 00’s rnb? I fucking did!

Like, story time. But I started listening to her stuff on soundcloud last year because she was opening Dean’s show and damn. Then I heard her perform Circle live and I decided to stan forever.

I’m so happy she got to release this album. She has lyric and composition credits for EVERY. SINGLE. TRACK. on this album and I’m so proud.

Jaam, Vodka Lemon Shot, and Rainbow are purely uptempo and fun. Circle, Sweaty, and Overzone go into that sultry, almost slinky vibe. Ol’ Me, Myself gives you some soul…

It’s just a stellar album and I love it. (SOL: Maybe Ceir unnie snappedt.)

evilsin, ThisIsRogue, vague and 24 others like this.
  6. Is the Saay album worth giving a spin?

Ceir, Island and Slice of Life like this.
  7. 4

[​IMG]

BINGLE BANGLE
    AOA
    FNC Entertainment

42 POINTS

Peak Position: 4

VOTERS:
    5 - @Twinkle, @Serg., @Lego, @eliminathan
    3 - @vague, @junglefish, @sweetlikegrande
    2 - @PopZeitgeist, @ThighHighs, @GeiPanda
    1 - @digitalkaiser, @eccentricsimply, @Coming Century, @codecat, @Empty Shoebox, @ryjm, @Oleander

AOA return to our chart after more than a year with their fifth mini album, Bingle Bangle.

As y'all probably know by now, this is AOA's first album after Choa's departure from the group. And if y'all thought Jessica's exit from SNSD was scandalous, y'all are wrong. Choa's exit was 1000 times more shocking to me.

Choa is the voice of AOA. Some people will even say that Choa is AOA. And I honestly couldn't imagine an AOA album without Choa's iconic vocals.

But here we are. And honestly, post-Choa AOA are doing just fine.

Bingle Bangle is like a fruits basket - there is something for everyone. The album is not the most cohesive but I love that it explores so much new direction for AOA. Scandinavian producers worked primarily on this album and it shows. And the Scandi sound sure fits AOA to a T. I'm excited for the group's future. Sure, I'll miss Choa's voice (and her presence, let's be real). But if the music remains this immaculate, then I have no problem.

ryjm: They are FINALLY back! Bingle Bangle isn’t really what I expected to get from AOA, but apparently South Korea is here for it, so…party.

[​IMG]

The title track is a cute and I live for any retro game inspired aesthetic (#Gaymer), but there are stronger tracks with better choruses that I think deserved the video treatment. The mini delivers a great collection of carefree summer tunes but Ladi Dadi is the true standout, it is basically a long lost 2012 Eurovision song, so naturally I do a little slut drop (or ten) when it comes on.

codecat: To think this could be their 8-bit disco record...but fortunately, not everything was ruined by the Ding Dong lady - Yuna finally got her chance to belt, Chanmi and Mina got more lines, and they released Ladi Dadi. Could be worse. (SOL: DDDDD Unnie who is this Ding Dong Lady? I'm screaming.)

eccentricsimply: This is genuinely a pity point nñn (SOL: Eaux.)

ThighHighs: This album is chock full of smashes.

Twinkle: I am not sure if I like this or (G)I-dle better so I give my 5 points to AOA because they are legends.

Serg.: The pretty girls are back. This is on par with Good Luck as their best mini, they have some really good b-sides usually and Ladi Dadi really sticks out here

eliminathan: This album has EVERYTHING. If you want to listen to some Gloria Gaynor just listen to Super Duper. Mid - 2000s euro trash bops goes to Ladi Dadi. I can't think of more descriptions but HEAT is a fantastic song and Dododo is really catchy. I absolutely got my LIFE when I first heard the "Oh actually you’re a liar" part.

evilsin, ThisIsRogue, vague and 21 others like this.
  8. Ddddd the ding dong lady is Krista Siegfrids - she has a writing credit on Bingle Bangle and represented Finland in 2013's Eurovision with this, which, as you will see, has a whole lot of of hooks with "ding dong" in them.

vague, Oleander, Sanctuary and 6 others like this.
  9. I 100% thought it was Jimin dd

vague, Oleander, Vixen and 8 others like this.
  10. 3

SHQQK

[​IMG]

BEAUTY&THEBEAT
    yyxy
    BlockBerryCreative

81 POINTS

Peak Position: 3

VOTERS:
    5 - @vague, @ryjm, @Oleander, @ThisIsRogue, @Vixen
    4 - @RUNAWAY, @He, @Kuhleezi, @Aries, @PopZeitgeist, @Sanctuary, @ohnostalgia, @Island, @eliminathan
    3 - @digitalkaiser, @Squashua, @GeiPanda, @Apricot
    2 - @Empty Shoebox, @Deja-Boo, @SophiaSophia
    1 - @BEST FICTION, @junglefish

There were three albums that really fought for that number 1 spot but only one won. And this was not it. So close yet so far...

beauty&thebeat is the first mini album of LOOΠΔ's third subunit, yyxy.

I have to be honest. This was NOT the sound that I expected from yyxy. I don't know why but I pretty much expected really dark and apocalyptic songs from these girls dddddd. I basically assumed we would get songs closer to the sound of new and Egoist.

Instead, we got a summer album.

At first, I was like... meh. This is cute but not Odd Eye Circle-level of amazing. But the album has since grown on me so much. Yes, even the anomalous ballad, one way. Sure, it's not the most interesting LOOΠΔ song of all time but Yves and Chuu's vocals elevate the song from just being a plain ballad. It actually reminds me of Red Velvet's One of These Nights. rendezvous 18.6y (these titles really... ddddddd) is also pretty stellar. Chuu's clean vocals are so pretty here.

I just think this mini album doesn't sound fully realized? Like it's missing one or two songs to really elevate it from just mere good to amazing? Well, we'll just have to wait for the repackage.

Apricot: This EP will age like fine wine. I like how it’s not as straightforward as Mix & Match and Love & Live but it gets better every listen. The best release this month.

He: I’m finding a this a bit aimless, to be honest. It’s still quite above average for any group, but it’s a bit middle of the road for LOONA standards. The title track is very good, Frozen is good and so is Rendezvous. I hope the ballad album isn’t going to sound like the one here, more Sonatine, Let Me In and See Saw, please. (SOL: The ballad album will be very, very good. Bookmark me.)

Kuhleezi: To be honest, I went into this expecting to drag Go Won's vocals and love everything else, but I must say crunchy princess has surprised me. Her little parts are as light and fun as needed and she adds something to these tracks that's utterly enjoyable. The rest is, needless to say, stunning. I'm going to need some time to recover from Chuu's runs like I'm sure the rest of you do.

eliminathan: love4eva and frozen are going to be on repeat for the next 3 months. The other songs are pretty good too but not as good.

ryjm: Praise the gay gods (Yves et al.) for unleashing this flawless masterpiece onto us heathens. I stan the Gay unit so much and this release just reaffirms why. It’s pretty hard to beat the perfection that is Odd Eye Circle (and to be honest, they didn’t) but the shady gays of LOOΠΔ have forged a stunning musical bridge between the two other units/worlds of LOOΠΔ. Dal Segno continues the tradition of epic LOOΠΔ intros (can we have a mini where each intro song is reworked into a full track? Please and thanks BBC). Frozen had me shooketh to the very core, it is truly divine. Rendezvous 18.6y is a funky little tune that is way more fun than I expected it to be. One Way is a ballad done right and is the kind of song I can get behind, reiterating that LOOΠΔ will have a phenomenal range of voices when OT12 debuts. I’m a tad disappointed that they didn’t serve me all the dark melodramatic bops we all expected, but hey, that’s what the re-package is for right?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  11. Apart from title track and frozen, this album is not it

12. OEC's wig is firmly intact.

13. He

He

I kind of have to agree. I’m already sort of done with it except for the title track and sometimes Rendezvous. The girls sound lovely but as a mini it doesn’t deliver much.

14. It would be a lot better without the generic filler ballad.

junglefish and Slice of Life like this.
  15. Yes! It didn't even budge. I don't think yyxy's mini even reached wig status - a clip-on bang maybe?

16. [​IMG]

vague, Oleander, Sanctuary and 11 others like this.
  17. Honestly I couldn't begrudge any ordering of the top three. yyxy, (G)-IDLE and SHINee all delivered, so we are the true winners here.

[​IMG]

vague, Oleander, Deja-Boo and 3 others like this.
  18. It's old versus new.

SHINee versus (G)I-DLE.

Legends versus rookies.

Who will prevail?

[​IMG]

I AM
    (G)I-DLE
    Cube Entertainment

84 POINTS

Peak Position: 2

VOTERS:
    5 - @Squashua, @ThighHighs, @ohnostalgia, @GeiPanda
    4 - @digitalkaiser, @ryjm, @Oleander, @junglefish, @Twinkle, @Serg., @SophiaSophia, @ThisIsRogue, @Vixen
    3 - @Coming Century, @Empty Shoebox, @He, @Kuhleezi, @PopZeitgeist, @Sanctuary, @Island
    2 - @vague, @Apricot, @eliminathan
    1 - @Aries

Winning over yyxy's beauty&thebeat by just three points is the debut mini album of (G)I-DLE, I Am. Already top 2 with a debut album? Iconique.

First of all, lemme just ask. Who the hell coined the name (G)I-DLE??? And who thought it would be cute to put random parentheses on it??? It's soooo hard to spell sometimes. Help.

Okay good. Let's talk about the album. This is a very assured debut, I would say. Like it doesn't even sound like a debut? The polish is especially evident which I don't expect from a rookie group. I'm shqqk.

I have a feeling Soyeon will be next LE. The good sis has already a writing credit on their album (and for the single no less). Not to mention she's credited for the lyrics for nearly all the songs. Talent. I didn't know she had it in her.

Unlike most of y'all, I actually wasn't that blown away by this. And I think it's because I don't think the vocals are very memorable. The songs are supremely produced and Soyeon's rap sections are life-affirming. The vocalists just need to catch up with Soyeon and this group will be unstoppable - unless Cube Entertainment fucks it all up again a la 4Minute.

We need to talk about $$$ / Dollar though. How is this a MonoTree production??? Unless Wikipedia is lying whore but I don't think so. I'm so shqqk.

Maze is easily the best song here but I won't talk about it here xoxo.

Apricot: I don’t know if it’s the BLACKPINK thirst speaking but I truly liked this EP. (SOL: June 15 is near, unnie xoxo)

eliminathan: Here's your damn points since you aren't getting it in the singles section. Maze is really good but it's a worse Black dress. Latata was alright and I haven't heard the others. (SOL: DDDDDDDD I smell the bitterness.)

He: Incredibly solid mini, especially for a debut.

Kuhleezi: An impressive debut is always impressive

Twinkle: really solid mini, I don't skip any songs and that does not happen often! Looking forward their next comeback to see if this was luck or talent (SOL: Yes at the last sentence. You and me, unnie.)

Serg.: Whew, this was a really strong debut mini, but nothing unexpected from Cube, they keep delivering great minis for GG's

ThighHighs: Once of the best debut mini albums in a loooong time.

ryjm: Ok I stan this group, hard. Am I bitter that the rookies snatched CLC’s next comeback? Sure. Am I sad that this might signal the end of CLC? Absolutely. Am I bopping? Hell fucking yeah I am! An incredibly strong debut that quenches my thirst for a BlackPink comeback. Delete the unnecessary ballad (or even better, replace it with Jelly) and then get your life to this flawless bop fest. From the increasingly bombastic LATATA, the chill anti-social vibe of Don’t Text Me (with added phone vibrations), the batshit insanity of the lost POP 2 track that is달라, to the effortlessly smooth house inspired What’s In Your House? (aptly titled indeed), these girls are on fire (Soyeon is literally on fire). I can’t wait to see these girls catapult to success. 화이팅!

[​IMG]

Squashua: It is rare I take more than a single track from a girl-group mini album (usually just the title), especially when it's a debut mini album but, in the spirit of Black Dress, Free'Sm and Crystyle before it - Cube have snagged themselves another near-all killer opus to their girl-crush compendium of bangers. I have been OBSESSED with the Charli XCX barbie-ratchetry of $$$ in all its lip-syncable hook-after-hook glory, I've been wandering through the sunshine yodelling "MAYBAY I'MINYURRR MAAAAAAZZEEEEEE" and pretty much every other track is worth a shoutout too. It's just such a bold way to kick things off for a nugu and the fact this is growing in chart placings and sales week on week is an exciting thing to see SK embrace. Talent actually excelling? Whodafunkit?

evilsin, ThisIsRogue, vague and 21 others like this.
  19. Yeah, this was easily one of the more impressive debuts.

vague and Slice of Life like this.
  20. 1

[​IMG]

THE STORY OF LIGHT EP 1
    SHINee
    SM Entertainment

104 POINTS

Peak Position: 1

VOTERS:
    5 - @send photo, @digitalkaiser, @eccentricsimply, @Coming Century, @BEST FICTION, @He, @Aries, @PopZeitgeist, @Sanctuary, @SophiaSophia
    4 - @vague, @Deja-Boo, @Monkey0, @ThighHighs, @Lego, @Overdose
    3 - @ryjm, @Slice of Life, @ohnostalgia, @Ceir, @karmarisma
    2 - @Oleander, @junglefish, @Kuhleezi, @Twinkle, @ThisIsRogue, @Island
    1 - @Serg., @Apricot, @Vixen

MisandryJustice crew members are shaking! Kekeke.

SHINee are back (on top, no less) on our album chart with the first installment of their The Story of Light album. SHINee's 1 of 1 is also the first number 1 album of KPJC so seeing these boys back on their thrones is just amazing.

The Story of Light EP1 is made up of four high energy songs and one ballad and I'm so happy about this. I actually didn't know what a SHINee album would sound like without Jonghyun's masterful vocals. But one thing's for sure - I didn't expect it to sound this... alive. It's brimming with light. And I am thankful for that.

I'll always miss Jjong oppa's vocals. But it's a new day and we must forge forward. If SHINee can sound this full of life, I'm sure we can all at least try. Welcome back, legends!

Kuhleezi: I'm not a long time fan, but those annyeongs devastated me all the same.

Twinkle: I think I like Jump more than the title track. But I feel like all the songs sound like each other so it is a bit long to listen everything in one row

Serg.: I didn't have time to listen but I know it's good

ThighHighs: Every song is really great, but of the non-title tracks I love Undercover the most.

Ceir: This….this I have mixed feelings about. The first four tracks are literally pure EUPHORIA. And then You and I hits and I literally have tears in my eyes.

Overdose: STUNNING!

ryjm: I can’t commend these guys enough for enduring all that they have and continuing to press on and gift their fans with some truly stunning and joyful music. Yes, things will never be the same but they have come back so strong and shown once again why they are a force to be reckoned with. I live for the LDN Noise tinged production all over this record, the house bass lines and SHINee’s vocals are (unsurprisingly) a match made in heaven. The record finishes with a much more reserved and introspective number that even made me, a self-confessed stone cold heartless bitch, shed a tear. Ten years in and they still deliver, these men are the definition of TALENT. I can’t wait for chapters 2 & 3.

He: Kings of quality control.

Monkey0: They start their new project with a bang. Unmatched vocals.

digitalkaiser: I can't believe SHINee continue to...be the best boyband ever created in history!

eccentricsimply: Perfection start to finish. It’s five amazing tracks by an incredibly strong and talented group and they deserve the absolute best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.