K-Popjustice Charts ֍ November 2020 Edition ֍ Complete Results | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts ֍ November 2020 Edition ֍ Complete Results

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

[​IMG]

90'S LOVE
    NCT U
    from the Resonance Pt. 2 album
    SM Entertainment

54 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 16
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    10 - @ohdenny, @junkos, @askew
    4 - @eccentricsimply, @Remorque
    3 - @Vixen, @Wills, @ohnostalgia
    2 - @Monkey0, @ryjm
    1 - @enjoy, @Aries, @PopZeitgeist

We take a break from the barrage of girl group bops with this offering from NCT U. This is their third single of the year, 90's Love.

Between 90's Love and Work It, I think the former is the better single for sure. It's got a more interesting production and the concept/visuals are much more interesting too. I love the ice hockey (or whatever sport their playing) concept! I hope we get a curling concept next! Imagine the sleigh, I mean slay! Anyway, back to the song, from the title alone, it was obvious that NCT U were going for a retro sound and I think they succeeded. It reminds me of EXID's Lady but, like, SM-fied for a lack of better word ffffff. She's a cute girl for sure.

Sanctuary, ThighHighs, ysev and 31 others like this.
  2. Slice of Life

[​IMG]

MMMH
    Kai
    from the Kai mini album
    SM Entertainment

55 points

Peak Position: 15

Voters:
    9 - @junkos
    7 - @nikkysan, @Serg.
    6 - @eccentricsimply, @Love Deluxe
    5 - @ryjm
    4 - @ohdenny, @Crafty
    3 - @singabob
    2 - @camden_italian
    1 - @Slice of Life, @vague

Now this is a song that I kinda overestimated fffff. I really thought this had top 10 on lock but y'all had other plans. I would've given it at least a few more points. Anyway, this is Kai's debut single, Mmmh.

Mmmh is now my favourite EXO solo debut. I have imagined Kai's single ever since it was announced that he would be making his debut and somehow it sounds exactly like Mmmh. Love a psychique moment. It's sensual but still classy. It's not as vocally challenging but still sung well through the use of technology but we don't talk about that. And it just fucking suits Kai so well. This was tailormade for him and it shows. More than the song, I think Kai's charisma makes Mmmh work even better. Of course we know he's a great dancer and he really showcased that here. And yeah, he has a banging body so he also didn't shy from displaying that too. King of fan service tbh.

As someone who was never skeptical of Kai's potential as a solo artist, it really feels vindicating that he came through with a great song, a great album and just a great body of work. Please release more music before your inevitable military service, oppa!

camden_italian: Even though I’m still pretty new to EXO still, I’m proud of this kid. He’s there to dance and show you his abs, and I can’t imagine how degrading and what that could do to one’s self-esteem when you’re in a group. I haven’t given the whole album a listen but I play on it. It’s easy to be forgotten in a group that happens to be a sea full of amazing vocalists, I’m glad he’s getting his moment to shine, and take a damn break before SM springs another Super M project on you! (SOL: ...not when he also showed his abs here fffff. Maybe he's just proud of his body? I mean even I am proud of his body kii.)

Sanctuary, ThighHighs, ysev and 29 others like this.

3. Allow me to do something about that.

[​IMG]

GRWM
    GFriend
    from the 回:Walpurgis Night album
    Source Music

55 points

Peak Position: 14

Voters:
    10 - @Empty Shoebox
    8 - @codecat
    6 - @ysev
    5 - @GeiPanda, @ThighHighs
    4 - @enjoy, @nikkysan, @He
    3 - @savilizabeths
    2 - @BeingNormal, @Kuhleezi, @SloMover

So we start by asking 'what is and grwm?'. Well, I can tell you that it is a Welsh word, meaning curved or bent. Felly nawr gadewch imi ddweud wrthych am dir y cymoedd gwyrdd tragwyddol a-

wait, turns out GRWM is an initalism of some influencer speak (yuck) meaning 'Get Ready With Me'. Considering that not even wales speaks Welsh, never mind Korea, I guess this is more likely to be the idea behind the song. The overall idea in the lyrics seems to be of anticipation, and I will draw attention to the line that ends the first chorus - '달라진 내 모습을 보여주고 싶어' / 'dallajin nae moseubeul boyeojugo shipeo' / 'I want to show you my changed self' - which seems to be the best to summarise the overall theme of the song.

I did a little dive into StanTalk and apparently this song has been lying around for a while and was originally supposed to be included on 2019's Fever Season, and it's Yuju's high note before the last chorus that everyone loves. Stans also think that this song sounds like a disco song, proving that stans, indeed, talk utter shite.

Regardless, I find this song to be enjoyable. I particularly like the distorted vocal that's repeated almost like an instrumental. It reminds me very much of Max Martin's 'Into You', which is a bop.

Further comments from people who know what they are talking about follow:

Or not.

Empty Shoebox: vroom vroom
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, there seem to be no stage performances of this song. If you know of any, please post them below and they will be edited into this post and NO-ONE WILL EVER KNOW

4. Slice of Life

[​IMG]

BREATH
    GOT7
    from the Breath of Love: Last Piece album
    JYP Entertainment

60 points

Peak Position: 13

Voters:
    9 - @Sanctuary
    8 - @camden_italian, @nikkysan, @Cotton Park
    7 - @Slice of Life
    5 - @OspreyQueen
    4 - @Monkey0, @FunkyButChic, @An Insider
    2 - @eliminathan
    1 - @BEST FICTION

The first of two GOT7 songs to chart in the top 15 is Breath, the pre-release single co-written and co-produced by member Youngjae. Talented oppa!

I really only had one space for a GOT7 single on my ballot and it was really tough not voting for Last Piece. But since I was sure it was gonna perform better, I voted for Breath instead of Last Piece. And frankly, I think I just love Breath more fffff. It's really a breathe of fresh air for GOT7. I love how fun and easy it sounds, it practically just glides. The Jinyoung and Yugyeom pre-chorus... yum!

And I don't even mind the whistle-heavy chorus. In fact, it's what I really love about the song. Whistles can easily get annoying when used improperly but Youngjae and co. used them perfectly here. And the rap line didn't destroy the song that's a plus too. Overall, Breath is a win for GOT7 and for me. Let's experiment more with your music, boys!

camden_italian: At first listen I actually wasn’t sure I liked it but once the whistling gets into your head, it’s addicting. Giving us a pre-release track and video is the least JYPE could do for them and for us fans after all the tomfoolery and shenanigans the company pulls when it comes to the group.

eliminathan: I'm sorry Youngjae sis but I really am not feeling this one. It's so promising until the chorus and then I don't want to listen anymore. (SOL: That's it, I'll be tanking your 11 in the KSOTY 2020 Rate, binch!)

Sanctuary, ThighHighs, ysev and 32 others like this.
  5. Slice of Life

[​IMG]

HAPPENING
    AKMU
    from the Happening single album
    YG Entertainment

65 points

Peak Position: 12

Voters:
    10 - @Cotton Park
    8 - @eccentricsimply, @Slice of Life
    7 - @Monkey0
    6 - @FunkyButChic, @Serg.
    4 - @vague
    3 - @Aries, @Crafty, @An Insider, @Deja-Boo, @clowezra
    1 - @RUNAWAY

So much for my dream of a top 5 finish for AKMU ffffff. It's okay, babies! We can always try again with your next singles which I know are coming soon, right? Anyway, this is AKMU's new single, the gorgeous Happening.

Chanhyuk revealed in an interview that Happening was originally meant to be his solo debut single. But people kept telling him to release it as an AKMU single instead so here we are. That's probably the reason why he's featured rather more prominently here than Suhyun.

Happening is honestly perfect for the weather here in the Philippines. It's colder now because of nonstop rains so this song feels like a warm cup of tea or whatever. I especially love when Chanhyuk and Suhyun harmonizes. They sure do that shit perfectly. Hopefully the next singles are ready to be released and not held hostage by YG. If they delay AKMU's next singles in favour of Treasure or something, I'm going to scream.

Sanctuary, ThighHighs, ysev and 30 others like this.
  6. I had no idea Dreamcatcher had a new song out, never mind.

Also I wish I’d voted for Gfriend - Night Drive, replayed it a lot this morning.

vague, thommyh, He and 1 other person like this.
  7. Slice of Life

[​IMG]

I CAN'T STOP ME
    Twice
    from the Eyes Wide Open album
    JYP Entertainment

69 points

Last Month's Position: 1
    Peak Position: 1
    Months on Chart: 2

Voters:
    9 - @ThighHighs
    8 - @Esprit
    7 - @aux, @Babyface, @Rem, @Deja-Boo, @ThisIsRogue
    5 - @Serg.
    4 - @GeiPanda, @SloMover
    3 - @evilsin
    1 - @Shockbox

Just missing the top 10 by a single point is our previous number 1 song, Twice's I Can't Stop Me. I would've not minded it in the top 10... but I also love the idea of an all-new top 10 so I'm not too mad. Kii.

Twice released an English version of I Can't Stop Me and even performed it on an American show. Kweens of hustling. And speaking of hustling, Twice also performed a brand new, unreleased song called Cry for Me during their MAMA stage and yes gawd, I need it now more than ever. I read from Twitter stans that Twice have no plans of releasing it which kinda don't make sense to me but I have a pretty great feeling that the song would be still released this month. The girls are probably just being trolls ffffff. The reaction to Cry for Me was super explosive and it would be idiotic to not release it officially. Please don't break my heart, girlies. x

8. Slice of Life

We start our top 10 with...

[​IMG]

GOT THAT BOOM
    Secret Number
    from the Got That Boom single album
    VINE Entertainment

70 points

Peak Position: 10

Voters:
    9 - @dontkillmyvibe
    8 - @Ana Raquel, @Ultravioletvvvvv, @Wills, @Joli Chat
    7 - @Kuhleezi
    6 - @Vixen
    5 - @BeingNormal
    4 - @junkos
    3 - @Empty Shoebox, @SloMover
    1 - @ryjm

The Secret Number girlies debut on our song chart with their second single, Got That Boom. For some reason, I thought their debut single, Who Dis?, charted but it apparently did not fffff. But let's not talk about past floppage. Let's talk about this character development! This is a super well-deserved top 10 placement!

This was the last song that I removed from my ballot and yeah, I kinda regret that decision... especially since the song that I voted over this didn't even bubble under ffffff flop heaux. But yeah, Got That Boom is immense! It's undoubtedly influence by a genre called ITZY-Pop but I don't mind. I need more ITZY-Pop in my life. Please give them all to me.

Got That Boom is just... fun. It's so fun to listen too. I love the production too. It's not a song that I expect to still enjoy three years from now because this kind of production just doesn't have a good track record of aging beautifully. But in the present, in this very moment, I really dig it. That outro/final chorus...... whew! That's the best part and I always have to hold onto my wig every time it comes on. Iconique.

Empty Shoebox: Nice chorus, shame about the rest.

Joli Chat: Loving the walmart electric shock mv

Sanctuary, ThighHighs, ysev and 31 others like this.
  9. It's odd that you compare them to ITZY, because as soon as I hear the prechorus all I can think of is Blackpink.

vague and Slice of Life like this.
  10. Slice of Life

Last result for tonight! Let's get it!

[​IMG]

SCENE
    KEEMBO
    from the Scene single album
    ARA-LINE

76 points

Peak Position: 9

Voters:
    10 - @Newbie Four
    9 - @Slice of Life
    8 - @Crisp X
    7 - @vague
    6 - @Wills
    5 - @Monkey0, @Ana Raquel, @Trinu 3.0, @FunkyButChic, @Deja-Boo
    4 - @RUNAWAY
    2 - @singabob, @dontkillmyvibe, @soratami
    1 - @He

The fact that I had to promo this absolute bop on different threads like a stripper whose rent is due in 6 hours........ pathetique. But I regret nothing. KEEMBO's Scene is fully deserving of some good ole full blown Slicey promo. So thank you for heeding my desperate calls and making Scene a certified KPJC top 10 hit!

God, from the first listen, I was just... obsessed with this. In all fairness to KEEMBO, they have been quietly killing it this year. All three of their singles are great but Scene just stands out the most to me. How can I not love something that sounds like the follow-up single to Sistar's I Like That??? It really does remind me of a great Sistar single. I can even pinpoint the exact lines that Hyolyn and Soyou would sing fffff. And there's even a rap moment for Bora! I love it! I'm sure there's something for Dasom too, don't worry, iljin kween!

But Sistar associations aside, Scene is just KEEMBO on their very best. The vocals are soaring and on fucking point. The emotions on their voices are so palpable that I feel them myself. There's even a weird Illuminati chanting moment in the middle 8 for the satanic ladies out there! It has everything for everyone! Please, please, PLEASE help me stream the music video. Its views are so embarrassing. KEEMBO deserves better so let's help them out by streaming on YouTube and on Spotify/Apple Music as well. Let's show them that their talentry is appreciated by people with taste. Support talent! Support KEEMBO!

Newbie Four: From first seconds drummer greets us with these drum beats, let's say there are some rock elements in this song. "Scene" reminds me of certain times, certain influences. For me personally it reminds of Ladies' Code - "Bad Girl", which is through inspirations, influences, trends, similarities etc related to some other contemporary songs, and from these related songs for this conversation we can highlight miss A "Good-bye Baby" and SPICA "Lonely". And yes, KEEMBO members are former members of SPICA, and "Scene" and "Lonely" are both composed by SWEETUNE. Noncommercial break: there is upcoming SWEETUNE rate here in K-Popjustice, and you can vote until December 14*. SPICA "Lonely" and last minute addition KEEMBO "Scene" will be rated too.

11. Slice of Life

[​IMG]

ysev, vague, ryjm and 9 others like this.
  12. Slice of Life

I can read deleted posts hehe. I agree @soratami x

ysev, vague, junkos and 12 others like this.
  13. nn I only deleted it because I didn't want to be quoting the same thing both here and in the general thread.

vague, RUNAWAY and Slice of Life like this.
  14. I've just noticed
    How big is this Nerf gun?

vague, ultraviolet and Slice of Life like this.
  15. Secret Number were robbed!

ysev, vague, ryjm and 7 others like this.
  16. Don't you bring that here. I've spent enough time on twitter arguing over that.

vague and Slice of Life like this.
  17. It's so nice to have BerryGood back again (and good again) <3

And they managed to hold onto their MVP! Although Gowoon... deserves a bigger budget, quite frankly dd.

18. 8

[​IMG]

LAST PIECE
    GOT7
    from the Breath of Love: Last Piece album
    JYP Entertainment

91 points

Peak Position: 8

Voters:
    10 - @camden_italian, @nikkysan
    9 - @eliminathan
    7 - @Joli Chat, @Sanctuary, @BEST FICTION
    6 - @BeingNormal, @An Insider, @Remorque
    5 - @RUNAWAY, @ohdenny
    4 - @Newbie Four
    3 - @Rem
    2 - @eccentricsimply, @Oleander
    1 - @clowezra, @ThisIsRogue

GOT7 return seven months after the release of NOT BY THE MOON with their most recent single LAST PIECE. I'll be honest, the first time I heard it I thought it was pretty lackluster but hearing it again made me reconsider. Especially with them putting Breath in between the NBTM and Last Piece I've found that Last Piece is actually quite good. The new album Breath of Love: Last Piece has each member working on one of the tracks, with LAST PIECE being written and composed by DEFSOUL (JB). JB is usually the one who works on the title track out of the members, and with good reason! Everything he makes is brilliant and LAST PIECE is no exception.

In terms of lyricism, the song is essentially a 4 minute version of Mark's infamous monologue in You Calling My Name. It's a lot of GOT7 telling someone that they are incomplete without them and that they are the reason GOT7 exist, which isn't exactly new ground to tread in a boygroup song but I can still appreciate their dedication to the fans! My biggest gripe with the lyrics though is the English parts. With native English speaker Mark, and fluent English speakers Bambam and Jackson, you would think the English parts would sound more natural. And yet somehow they managed to make "Last Piece" and "Masterpiece" rhyme seamlessly, mostly because they just get Jackson to say "MASTPIECE" instead.

I know many Ahgase including myself were worried because of the song and album's name being Last Piece that this could be a disbandment song, judging by the content I'm inclined to believe it's not and that they just decided to give us a scare nn. Now we just need them to come back semi regularly instead of the fans begging JYP after each long break.

Newbie Four: Good song, very melodic. 0:30-0:33 break through

camden_italian: I latched onto this one a lot faster than I did Not By The Moon. To me, it’s a sound we know from them currently, with just a hint of the past. Jinyoung falsetto is amazing. I want to start a Gofund Me for JB…let us hire a lawyer to sue the stylist who clipped in that obviously fake mullet to the back of your head.

19. That Taemin song and Black Mamba have zero business being higher than Last Piece, I'm sorry.

Y'all really will stan anything by SM...

Sanctuary, ysev, He and 5 others like this.
  20. I appreciate the perfectly timed segue sis!

[​IMG]

IDEA
    Taemin
    from the Never Gonna Dance Again: Act 2 album
    SM Entertainment

104 points

Peak Position: 7

Voters:
    10 - @evilsin, @Deja-Boo, @ohnostalgia
    9 - @eccentricsimply, @singabob
    7 - @Squashua
    6 - @Joli Chat, @askew, @eliminathan, @SloMover
    4 - @Aries, @ThisIsRogue
    3 - @ohdenny, @dontkillmyvibe, @ryjm, @Oleander
    2 - @Slice of Life, @Rem
    1 - @soratami

Following Criminal up was a tough ask, especially for me since Criminal is my favourite TAEMIN release to date (at least for his Korean releases). After initially disregarding it due to releasing at the same time as GFRIEND's MAGO, I've come around and am really enjoying IDEA. The song features a few vocals from the queen of KPOP herself, BoA, catch her appearance in next month's KPJC with new single BETTER.

One thing that threw me for a loop about this track is the song structure is kind of all over the place, with the first of many beat drops happening a mere 40 seconds in! Speaking of... the drop (which is also the instrumental for the chorus) got quite a bit of flack on the forum when the song released, however, I think it might be my favourite part now nn. The dramatic strings really revitalize what a drop could sound like and I'm all for it.

However, being a song with a drop comes with the caveat that IDEA is not quite as understated, subtle, elegant, artsy etc as other songs like MOVE, WANT and Criminal. Which means the choreography is a lot less uhh delicate for lack of a better word. Don't get me wrong, I do quite like the choreography to IDEA but it's definitely more explosive and frenetic compared to what we've been seeing lately.

Be sure to vote for TAEMIN's repackaged double album Never Gonna Dance Again Extended ver. next month sistren!

Sanctuary, ThighHighs, ysev and 30 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.