K-Popjustice Charts ♕ September 2020 Edition ♕ Season Four Finale ♕ Complete Results | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

K-Popjustice Charts ♕ September 2020 Edition ♕ Season Four Finale ♕ Complete Results

Discussion in 'K-pop' started by Slice of Life, Sep 21, 2020.

1. 5

[​IMG]

CRIMINAL
    Taemin
    from the Never Gonna Dance Again: Act 1 album
    SM Entertainment

162 points

Last Month's Position: N/A
    Peak Position: 5
    Months on Chart: 1

Voters:
    10 - @Deja-Boo, @Crafty, @nikkysan, @soratami
    9 - @eccentricsimply, @evilsin, @eliminathan, @junkos
    8 - @ryjm, @Squashua, @Love Deluxe, @ohnostalgia, @Oleander
    7 - @Wills, @TéléDex
    6 - @savilizabeths
    5 - @aux
    4 - @Kuhleezi, @Rem
    3 - @He, @OspreyQueen, @Slice of Life
    2 - @enjoy, @Vixen

The king of K-pop is back! That's right, Taemin returns with his most recent single Criminal from the new album Never Gonna Dance Again: Act 1 (which got robbed). I have to say, I know it's relatively early days but I truly think Criminal is his best Korean title track to date. It perfectly meshes what I love about his Kpop title tracks (sensuality and brilliant choreography) with his Jpop music (powerhouse vocals). The final Criminal chorus with the ad-libs is enough for me to top his more understated sultry bops like Move and Want.

The choreography is immaculate, with the first verse consisting of Taemin and his dancers performing while their hands are bound together. The lyrics are essentially about an alluring and kinky significant other who is constantly teasing and torturing him, but judging by the sexuality of the song that should be a surprise to absolutely nobody. These, combined with the video make for a sight to behold. This song is absolutely perfect and the only complaint I can think of is that I'd prefer the news anchor jumbled speech during the bridge to be video exclusive but even then it doesn't actually detract from the song nn.

It's truly a shame that SM decided "nah this song can eat shit, we're going to release SuperM music before, during, and after the Taemin album period so good luck to him". As much as I do like the music SuperM is making, it seems like they're milking Taemin for all he's worth while also sabotaging his own artistic ventures. Here's hoping there's an act 2 and that he does continue to dance again because it's only a matter of time before he enlists and we will have to subsist on two years of subpar male soloists.

Slice of Life: I didn't forget to give this points so you can't drag me kii.

evilsin, Deja-Boo, ysev and 30 others like this.
  2. Now that's a depressing thought. We going full time misandry when that happens.

evilsin, ysev, ohnostalgia and 10 others like this.
  3. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

He already confirmed there is, luckily!!!!!

ysev, Oleander, eliminathan and 2 others like this.
  4. Glad Taemin got a spot in the Top 5, you will all do him dirty in the rate though, I know it.

ysev, ohnostalgia, Crafty and 5 others like this.
  5. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Finale night. Let's go.

Four incredibly amazing songs...

But only one could take the top spot...

But first, our amazing fourth placer...

[​IMG]

OBLIVIATE
    Lovelyz
    from the Unforgettable mini album
    Woollim Entertainment

165 points

Peak Position: 4

Voters:
    10 - @BeingNormal
    9 - @RUNAWAY, @ryjm, @Newbie Four, @Kuhleezi, @enjoy, @Vixen
    7 - @Crafty, @Hurricane Drunk, @Love Deluxe
    6 - @thommyh, @aux, @Island, @Ana Raquel, @GeiPanda, @Oleander, @Empty Shoebox
    5 - @He, @junkos
    4 - @vague, @eatyourself, @Slice of Life
    3 - @Ultravioletvvvvv, @savilizabeths
    2 - @Salami, @Crisp X, @evilsin, @OspreyQueen
    1 - @junglefish, @BEST FICTION

Finally... a top 5 placement after four years of KPJC for Lovelyz! Well fucking deserved. This is Lovelyz's new single, Obliviate.

I won't say I'm a huge Lovelyz stan but I have always enjoyed majority of Lovelyz's singles. But even I can't deny that Lovelyz was in need of a little concept/sound change-up. Kudos to them for building a sound that is so recognizable but it was time to try new flavours. And I think they did it fabulously with Obliviate. Obliviate is just the right amount of change to freshen up the group's image but not too drastic that it would alienate old fans.

I love the focus on showcasing Lovelyz's vocals. I feel like people (at least people outside the subforum) aren't aware that Lovelyz have a very formidable vocal line. Kei, Sujeong, Baby Soul and Jin... four vocalist kweens that deserve more recognition. My favourite vocal moment is of course this line:
    GEUMANHALLAEEEEEEE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Iconique.

The "don't take me down down stop it down down" section is also a little cunty affair.

Even if Obliviate isn't as culturally resetting as, say, Apink's I'm So Sick, I'm still so glad it happened. Honestly, I didn't really get properly obsessed with Obliviate on my first few listens because I did expect more. But now, I think Obliviate is an almost perfect single.

Empty Shoebox: Points subtracted for Mijoo being aggressively heterosexual. (SOL: JHSAKD WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS)

Newbie Four: 0:13-0:16 Looks like Sujeong is center of this formation, but hidden center Yein appears from nowhere.
    1:15-1:30, 2:20-2:28 ,parts, where mostly Sujeong (with Jin and Baby Soul) is singing, match to Sujeong's solo "Tiger Eyes" (as in similar energy)
    Of course Sujeong plays big role in "Obliviate", I mean when Lovelyz concept as a group became closer to "Tiger Eyes" concept.

evilsin, vague, Deja-Boo and 30 others like this.

6. Here we have our respectable but regrettable third place after such a long hiatus!

[​IMG]

HELICOPTER
    CLC
    from the Helicopter single album
    Cube Entertainment

173 points

Peak Position: 3

Voters:
    10 - @Newbie Four, @Island, @eatyourself, @eliminathan, @TéléDex, @Vixen
    9 - @aux, @He, @BEST FICTION
    8 - @Ultravioletvvvvv, @Salami, @thommyh, @codecat
    7 - @GeiPanda, @ohnostalgia
    5 - @Crafty, @ryjm, @Rem, @ThighHighs
    4 - @Oleander
    3 - @vague, @junkos
    2 - @Serg., @soratami
    1 - @RUNAWAY, @nikkysan, @Crisp X, @Kuhleezi, @FunkyButChic, @Slice of Life

Always the bridesmaid and never the bride, CLC have returned with another 3rd place finish nn. This time with their latest "single album" Helicopter. This is the first full group release since Yeeun's appearance on Good Girl and sis really did the deed because Helicopter is far and away CLC's best performing comeback in terms of sales and streams on all platforms. Unfortunately they didn't get any music show wins even with all of the momentum behind them but there's always next time!

Helicopter comes after a kind of rebranding for CLC, they finally have their official colours, 5 years after debut. And they also have a new and sleek logo, replacing the cute cat face we previously had. The song was released in both Korean and English, with the lyrics being slightly different in both. The Korean lyrics are focusing on the girls saying they have aspirations to rise to even greater heights than they previously have. It details that they have reached their goals but are pushing further with no intention of slowing down.

The English version is a bit more sentimental and pensive, especially Seungyeon's parts saying that they're figuring out their path to stardom because they're just not there yet. A lot of the song in the English version is about how Cheshires support and uplift them, and that they plan to take us with them to their greater heights. All in all it's very touching and I adore the message. Seungyeon's parts especially are very moving seeing her pine for the status that her idols have but not being at the level she wants to be at.

In terms of the performances themselves, the choreography for Helicopter is insane. I believe this is the first time they have this many backing dancers, making for quite the scene. Having Eunbin, Seungyeon and Yeeun interacting with the dancers for iconic moves like Seungyeon's backroll. Yeeun gets two rap segments and she absolutely kills it, I hope all the people that followed from Good Girl continue to stan because they'll be missing out otherwise! Not to mention this is the first title track that showcases even a fraction of Seunghee's powerful vocals, we love that too! I've been waiting for Seunghee ad-libs for the longest time and ever since they lost LVER and the great vocals we heard on that I've been pining for a chance for her to prove herself.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are conflating the song with boy group music even though no boy group on earth can come close to the talentry in this song. If anything
    ME was more of a boy group song but y'all ate it up so what's tea sis!? Hopefully with the next comeback we get the #CLC1stWin I've been fighting for jkdsak.

thommyh: Another great song even if I find the chorus a little clunky nn? Like lyrically... "like a pilot" shouldn't go as hard as it does but it works some how. Also, Yeeun serves as usual.

TéléDex: The fact I could fit Helena Bonham Carter in the chorus where they say Helicopter!

Newbie Four: We are familiar with "step on me" expression. And CLC like implements it in reality: Eunbin (in choreography/stage) and Seungyeon (in MV and choreo/stage), step on backup dancers. It is teamwork, but I want to highlight Seunghee vocals (piercing vocals, I feel them physically and "goosebumps" is not enough a word to describe it), Yeeun and Eunbin rap, and Seungyeon.

Slice of Life: I didn't forget to give this a point so you can't drag me kii.

evilsin, vague, Deja-Boo and 31 others like this.
  7. Slice of Life

Coming in at second place...

[​IMG]

FEEL GOOD (SECRET CODE)
    fromis_9
    from the My Little Society mini album
    Off The Record Entertainment

198 points

Peak Position: 2

Voters:
    10 - @codecat, @Cotton Park, @Empty Shoebox, @Slice of Life, @savilizabeths TEAM TALENT
    9 - @Serg., @FunkyButChic
    8 - @BeingNormal, @junglefish, @Kuhleezi, @eatyourself, @ThighHighs
    7 - @Ultravioletvvvvv, @ryjm, @Crisp X, @Newbie Four, @He, @Rem
    6 - @eccentricsimply, @Squashua
    5 - @RUNAWAY, @Love Deluxe, @vague, @TéléDex
    4 - @GeiPanda, @BEST FICTION
    3 - @Wills
    2 - @aux, @Oleander
    1 - @soratami

Now this is how you make a comeback. This is pop perfection. This is fromis_9's best single yet, Feel Good (Secret Code). And I'm so happy we got to reward them with such a high placement on our song chart. It's what they deserve!

As y'all probably know, fromis_9 have not made a comeback in over a year. I was starting to worry when IZ*ONE was able to make a comeback but somehow, there was no news whatsoever about fromis_9's whereabouts. Just like IZ*ONE, fromis_9 was also affected by the great Mnet scandal. But that's all in the past and now, fromis_9 are back and everything is right again.

After the misfire that was FUN! (why would you follow up the iconique Love Bomb with that mess smh), I'm glad fromis_9 are back to releasing good music again... and it's even better than Love Bomb! That's talent! I'm also loving the more mature image of fromis_9 right now. Honestly, I was so shqqk at the visual overload of the music video. I didn't know fromis_9 has no visual hole? At least five of the members can be main visuals to be honest.

The song grows on you like crazy. That's what happened to me. I thought Feel Good was already good on my first day of listening... but on the second day, the song sounded even better??? It's the combo of the pre-chorus and the chorus for me. That shit is orgasmic. I can never get enough and because of it, I listen to the song at least three times more before moving on to the next song on my playlist.

And for what it's worth, listening to Feel Good really does make me feel good ffffffff. It's such a little slice of wholesomeness and... fun... just so fucking fun that listening to it just immediately brightens up my day. I love it so much.

Empty Shoebox: Continuing from Brave Girls in our 'Back from the dead dungeon' series. Next...gugudan?

Newbie Four: Nice song, beautiful video. fromis_9 visuals (not only) and MV director Wooje Kim (ETUI) is good combination.
    I hope that Off The Record Entertainment, which is subsidiary of Stone Music Entertainment, which is subsidiary of CJ ENM's E&M division etc will get themselves together and will manage their artists better. Same can be said about other rich and not rich labels.

evilsin, vague, Deja-Boo and 31 others like this.
  8. Slice of Life

And our amazing, showstopping number 1 song for September 2020...

[​IMG]

LA DI DA
    Everglow
    from the -77.82x-78.29 mini album
    Yuehua Entertainment

304 points

Peak Position: 1

Voters:
    10 - @Ultravioletvvvvv, @ryjm, @Salami, @Hurricane Drunk, @Squashua, @thommyh, @junglefish, @Ana Raquel, @GeiPanda, @Kuhleezi, @enjoy, @OspreyQueen, @Rem, @ThighHighs
    9 - @Crafty, @Crisp X, @codecat, @vague, @eatyourself, @ohnostalgia, @soratami, @Slice of Life
    8 - @RUNAWAY, @Serg., @Island, @savilizabeths, @evilsin
    6 - @BeingNormal, @Newbie Four, @Wills, @FunkyButChic, @junkos
    5 - @Oleander
    4 - @eccentricsimply, @Love Deluxe, @Vixen
    3 - @Sanctuary
    1 - @Monkey0, @He

And in their fourth try, Everglow has successfully copped the top spot of our song chart! Congratulations to the girls, the stans and the YouTube bots! This is La Di Da. And it's honest-to-god one of the best singles of the year, point-blank. If it wasn't for fromis_9's Feel Good, La Di Da would've easily gotten my 10 points.

I would like to believe that ever since their debut, Everglow was always meant for great things. The talent was there. The charisma was present. The music was good, if a little rough on the edges, but now I think it has finally caught up and match Everglow's potential. La Di Da is the sound of a group at the top its powers. It's just... so fucking good.

From the perfect Sweetune-esque production to the vocals to the rap to the mesmerizing choreography to the visuals, everything just fell into place for Everglow. It's like the stars aligned perfectly and all that. It's really a complete package, it's practically bulletproof.

K-Popjustice has always been kinda hard on Everglow but look at us all gagging for La Di Da. I think that's testament to the song's strength. It's so good, almost to the point that I wish my actual faves released this instead ffffff. But Everglow deserves all the accolades for this. They sold the concept and the song so well. Once again, huge congratulations to the girls!

thommyh: Excellence. Also, that final set piece in the music video at the end with all the pastel rainbow lights, a moment most pleasing to me in my Everglow stannage.

Kuhleezi: your faves couldn't even SPELL double entendre

Newbie Four: My problem with EVERGLOW is that part of fans of EVERGLOW hates BLACKPINK. In some places (not Popjustice) there are even zero BLACKPINK-friendly or neutral EVERGLOW fans. It poisons my EVERGLOW experience. Isn't it a contradiction (hating BLACKPINK and at the same time be EVERGLOW fan)? "Adios" and "Dun Dun" are BLACKPINK-"inspired", I'll skip the details for this, thank you. Like some of K-pop songs are inspired by other songs, it is OK. Also BLACKPINK are personal role models for Aisha. Like why to hate inspirations of your group? Maybe these EVERGLOW fans secretly hate EVERGLOW as well?

But lets talk about "LA DI DA". MV directed by Woogie Kim (GDW). Focus in EVERGLOW MVs is switching. My opinion is that focus was on Yiren, E:U, Onda in "Bon Bon Chocolat". Then Mia, Yiren, E:U, also people really started to notice Aisha in "Adios". Then Mia, E:U, Yiren, also Sihyeon received some more focus and better focus, than usual, in "Dun Dun". Some people began to notice Sihyeon with this "Dun Dun" comeback. I mean I myself rewatched "Bon Bon Chocolat" and Sihyeon is of course here! But focus was not enough and I didn't know enough of her talent earlier. In "LA DI DA", main or almost main focus is on Sihyeon. Also Aisha, and I think it is her best performance and she continues her kinda vampire role, but not only that. Also E:U. Speaking of Sihyeon, in "LA DI DA", she really does damage, it is display of high-grade slayage, many wigs were harmed in result of production of this album etc All these face expressions, hair flips, makeup, outfits, choreo (dynamic choreo as EVERGLOW themselves describe it) . . . It is nice, that all worked out, something really aligned to make this happen on this scale. (SOL: Stan Kween Sihyeon a bitsy!)

evilsin, vague, Deja-Boo and 33 others like this.
  9. eccentricsimply

A well deserving top 2!

evilsin, ysev, ohnostalgia and 9 others like this.
  10. Slice of Life

11. Did you forget?

vague, ysev, thommyh and 4 others like this.
  12. He

He

Feel Good would have gotten a couple more points from me now. What a serve.

vague, ysev, thommyh and 2 others like this.
  13. What a Beautiful Day (When We Were Us) for us GG stans today

[​IMG]

vague, ysev, thommyh and 9 others like this.
  14. Poor fromis.

Oh well, Stan Hayoung.

vague, ysev, thommyh and 2 others like this.
  15. I voted for three great b-sides (EVERGLOW - GxxD Boy, Lovelyz - Memories and SuperM - Wish You Were Here) and none of them charted... I guess it doesn't really make much sense to bother voting for b-sides unless they're major KPJ faves.

vague, ysev, ohnostalgia and 7 others like this.
  16. Same! 'Never, Secret' should have gotten a cute placement.

ysev, junglefish, BeingNormal and 2 others like this.
  17. He

He

Stacked months also make it impossible for b-sides to have a shot.

vague, ysev, ohnostalgia and 5 others like this.
  18. Was it stacked though? It felt like one of the lightest months of the year so far to me, especially in terms of girl group/female soloist releases.

vague, ysev, Slice of Life and 2 others like this.
  19. He

He

I think it was mostly boygroup stuff crowding a bit.

vague, ysev, Vixen and 2 others like this.
  20. eccentricsimply

Funny that this month had two of my favorite girl group releases of the year (fromis_9 and Everglow) but it also felt like a very light month. Nothing close to what October is going to be.

ysev, ultraviolet, thommyh and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.