Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed | Page 111 | The Popjustice Forum

Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by KamikazeHeart, Feb 11, 2021.

1. I mean... not really! I genuinely like most of the songs on this album and think anyone painting this record as some massive dip in quality is wrong.

2. This. It’s fantastic. Get into it!

lushLuck, Ferk, Mikal and 3 others like this.
  3. I ordered a signed vinyl, hoping for the sea foam color as I ordered #2. I missed the Golden Hour signed vinyls and it still hurts to this day.

Disobedience likes this.
  4. She was checked out of the album very soon because she soon became loved up and probably didn’t really feel like revisiting the breakup thematic of the album, which was not that traumatic for her in the first place. And I also think that the label was not sure how to promote it after Golden Hour had become a sleeping hit. I still think it is a fantastic album.

5. I've been listening a lot to the album recently and didn't realize its 1 year anniversary happening dd.

It's great. I know people have a special connection with Golden Hour in general and it is one of the greatest albums of all time, but star-crossed is also worth it. I think it misses some bigger highlights, and the second part probably drags a little (you still have "What Doesn't Kill Me", "There is a Light" and so on, but nothing hits like... Breadwinner, Cherry Blossom and Good Wife dd).

I do agree the marketing probably didn't help. The Movie felt uneventful and the way they literally missed the one song that actually "took off" on Streaming... tragic. And the random focus on the title track which is like, a cute intro, when the album actually starts with "Let's go back to the beginning" for me is also a kii dd.

The resurgence got me listening to other songs from the catalog, and I still need to listen to the other albums in full, but she's really charming. Loved everything I listened on shuffle. And can only wonder of what she'll do next. I don't think she'll pull a 1989 (in a totally-sparkling-synthpop), like, "ever", but I can imagine that her wheels will keep spinning and there will be more flourishes on her "country".

6. Dead. She’s really trying to shift those unsold vinyl variants. I see them at every record store I go to. I have zero clue why they pressed so many. Bless.

7. This. The marketing was way too ridiculously overblown, and the least amount of focus was on the actual music. The emphasis on pushing the title track was a huuuuuuge mistake, I’m still puzzled by that to this day, especially for the VMAs. It’s barely even a song, and it’s not even that moving ddd.

Justified was a mistake for the first single, too. It’s a bit of a non-event compared to her previous leads.

Long story short, it’s a very mild, sweet, dreamy album full of ethereal pop. The “in your face! dramatic! Shakespearean tragedy!” approach to the film and artwork hardly made sense. If anything, a more muted, quieter approach to the artwork and release would have been better received. Overall, I think it’s a serviceable Kacey Musgraves album, but it’s nowhere near her best, so immediately following Golden Hour, it was always going to be viewed as a disappointment.

She’s clearly happy, and she clearly wasn’t too shaken up by the divorce. I sort of wish she wouldn’t have forced the “divorce album” if she wasn’t really feeling it.

That said, it’s Kacey Musgraves, so I still like it overall, but yeah… I haven’t returned to it in a long time. It just didn’t leave much of an impression on me in the long run.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  8. She saw the wonders 'personal life' worked for Ariana's projects and wanted some of that, can't blame her!

Euphoria likes this.
  9. This was one album that would have benefitted from being ballad heavy. Still really enjoy it as is but y'know.

10. I snatched it up at Target for $13.49 a couple months ago nn

(I love the album! I just don't really buy records anymore)

11. The more I listen the more I’m baffled by the marketing. I do think Kacey was in another stage of life but even as a big fan I still haven’t watched the film (what service is it on?) and never bought the Shakespeare angle.

12. The rollout for this album was so odd. I think it's solid, and definitely could have done better than it did, but she obviously had massive expectations after Golden Hour and this was a letdown for a lot of people.

I think putting so much of the budget into a Paramount Plus exclusive was a mistake, and she really could've benefitted towards a more stretched out era. She should've pushed a song like Justified or Good Wife a little more.

And yeah, it's absolutely wild how they overestimated the vinyl sales. I've legit seen entire crates filled with them at local record shops over the last few months.

happiestgirl, Euphoria, Ferk and 2 others like this.
  13. The Shakespeare angle has been used by Halsey so they then let it go and just used the fonts dd

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  14. Top-tier Kacey
    cherry blossom
    easier said
    justified
    star-crossed
    hookup scene
    angel

Also hot
    there is a light
    keep lookin' up
    breadwinner
    camera roll
    good wife

Decent
    if this was a movie
    simple times
    what doesn't kill me
    gracias a la vida

I think it's her best album. cherry blossom is a huge missed opportunity.

15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

It's a good album but being contrarian for contrarian's sake must be tiring x

Euphoria and Trouble in Paradise like this.
  16. I wouldn't know. Weird that you can't handle an opinion different from your own though. xo.

I love Golden Hour obviously. It houses most of her career highs, but there's more filler too.

Rosheen likes this.
  17. Same Trailer Different Park and Golden Hour are both total modern classics, so I can't see star-crossed as anything but her third best, but that doesn't mean it's not also an excellent album.

18. Another complete misfire: the album cover like what the fuck. It literally looks like a box of 50p bootleg sweets.

19. Aside from the marketing I also think 2020/2021 was when her colorful "campy" Instagram persona was peaking so it was a strange feeling when the music we got was relatively low key and chill.

20. Star-crossed has really benefitted from time to sink in with me. Each time I listen to it I notice something new and layered. Ultimately it comes back to how it manages to capture such a wide spectrum of conflicting emotions so well. She really is a master songwriter and balance things in a way that are accessible to everyone without being simple. Her voice throughout as well is stunning.

The marketing was a whole mess as others have said but the product itself is really something.

Ferk likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.