Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.
he/him
Yeah, I like the chorus melody but I kept waiting for the song to really take off and do something more interesting, but it’s effective enough as a country pop song.
Its position in the album's tracklisting (being the first song of "Act II") makes me wonder if it's going to work more as an intro to the songs that follow, much like "Star-crossed" seems to be? I'm guessing things will work a lot better as a whole. I felt the same, I just wanted it to go somewhere.

Last edited:
He/Him/His
Yeah, the production so far has done a great job at taking her soundscape to the next level. Justified has a really nice ... groove to it? I can see why they'd make it a single because it sounds in line with Harry Styles' recent hits lol

He/Him
Justified isn't doing much for me on first couple of listens. If it was by another artist, I doubt I'd be giving it a second listen. Hopefully it'll be a grower. For now it's just a pleasant-but-bland country-pop song.

LOVED Justified... my first reaction to the song is similar to how I felt about Butterflies on first listen. It's definitely not as strong as Space Cowboy though (which is Kacey at her best for me).

I wonder if the album will suffer from the same thing that I think really hurt Pageant Material's reception upon release: A great record that people kept comparing unfavorably to Same Trailer Different park

he/him
I just heard a snippet of the chorus and it's already in my head. This is totally going to be an album where everything plays nicely together.

I love the fact that we don't have a long wait for the album and she's tackling it pretty much like Golden Hour where we only had a few weeks wait between single and album. The film to go alongside the album is super exciting also. The visuals look great and I have absolute faith that she'll delivery on the album material. Album of the year incoming!

As the three sat around discussing its follow-up, “Star-Crossed,” Musgraves’s phone lit up. “Look at this,” she said, raising a sly eyebrow and springing from the couch.

“Answer it,” Fitchuk said.

“No,” she replied, then: “OK.” She tapped the screen. Justin Bieber appeared.

“You freaking love an unannounced FaceTime, dude,” Musgraves said.

“My bad,” Bieber said. “What are you guys doing?”

When Musgraves hung up, she eyed the group. This has been happening a lot recently. “I’ll be lying in bed, hung over at 8 a.m. — FaceTime. It’s a decline for me, but he’s so sweet,” she said. “Anyway. New friend.”
upload_2021-8-26_17-7-27.jpeg

He’s not on the tracklisting so

oprah-well-hello-lets-celebrate-that.gif

“Star-Crossed” is the psychological hangover to “Golden Hour.” Organized as a tragedy in three acts, it charts the dissolution of that relationship, culminating in the divorce Musgraves filed for last year.
“There’s something achingly country about the whole situation. “I wasn’t going to be a real country artist without at least one divorce under my belt,” Musgraves waggishly allowed. But the album resists the worn emotional grooves of the breakup genre. She puzzled over whether to include “Breadwinner,” a bop about a man who resents a woman’s success, because “I was worried that one song may speak more loudly than another in an emotional sense,” she said. As a listener, she avoids the vindictive breakup song and gravitates toward very sad ones that hit her straight in the guts: “Ahhh,” she said. “Stab me with a rusty knife, please.”
The musical influences for “Star-Crossed” are expansive enough to include Sosa and Sade, America and the Avalanches, Weezer and Aretha Franklin. It has hints of early 2000s R&B, a spaghetti western vibe and, as she put it on Twitter, “a fairy sprinkle of Country, duh.”
She is selling Musgraves-branded stick-on tears and lacy handkerchiefs to prep her fans for the season she’s calling “sad girl fall.

upload_2021-8-21_22-35-37-gif.28991

Status
Not open for further replies.