Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed | Page 57 | The Popjustice Forum

Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by KamikazeHeart, Feb 11, 2021.

1. What a phenomenal album. Can’t wait to unpack this all.

ItBeats and lushLuck like this.
  2. Same. Can always count on the PJ girls to boost my excitement a bit.

3. Island

Island Staff Member

I feel like "cherry blossom" can easily be remixed into a breezy dance song, but I love the chill vibes of it.

4. Ok I think I’m going to wait until the morning to listen.

But on another note, why has she not released a new Boy Smells collab to go with this album?
    [​IMG]

lushLuck likes this.
  5. Any idea why Angel is greyed out and “not available on your country or region” for me (Apple Music) while the rest of the album is just fine?

6. RMK

RMK

I normally don’t mind Zane as much as others, but this Apple Music interview feels more about his and her psyche than the actual music.

7. It played just fine here with Apple Music

8. Oh OK, had to remove it and re-add it for some reason!

DinahLee likes this.
  9. Dead at the video! I love it

Can't wait for the whole movie!

lushLuck likes this.
  10. Not them ADRing Meg’s part and cutting away from her face

11. Okay I watched that video early because I'm so excited for Meg.
    "It's actually my nana's car and she's a big bitch", screaming.

theelusivechanteuse and lushLuck like this.
  12. Well, I'm not sure WHY I ever doubted her, but here we are.

Gorgeous album. I'm honestly a bit surprised at how atmospheric/airy it is, it definitely isn't her "1989" moment. It's a very reflective, bittersweet, laid back album. I will say I understand the critics when they say the album has sort of a ... steady, streamlined emotional state. Even when she's sad, she's not "I'm not going to survive this!" sad, and when she's happy, she knows it's only temporary. Everything here sort of exists in this *~shrugs~* state, almost as if she know this was going to be the outcome from the get-go. Let's be real, she's not doing any intensive SHADOW work or anything here. You can tell she's going to be just fine ddd.

That said, outside of maybe Keep Lookin' Up which kind of breezed past me, I don't think there's much excess fat here to trim, if any at all?

A couple of the songs I've seen being dragged by critics and fans are If This Was a Movie and Easier Said, but those are my two favorites on first listen. Gracias a la Vida is a genuinely... intriguing experimental moment~*, Camera Roll pulled my heartstrings a bit, and who can say There is a Light isn't a future gay staple?

I look forward to digging into this more, I have a feeling it's going to be a fantastic breezy fall album. Well done, Kacey.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  13. RMK

RMK

I don’t understand what the video is referencing.

14. If you've got someone to love
    And you've almost given up
    Hold on tight despite the way they make you mad
    'Cause you might not even know that you don't have it so bad

[​IMG]

15. The way she flips the lyrics in the outro to Good Wife (‘God help me be a good wife… ‘cause I need him’) is such a subtle but devastating switch-up. So many little moments like this you don’t notice on first listen.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  16. Had it on repeat the last two hours and that run of ‘breadwinner’ until the end just smacks you in the face over and over.

‘Camera Roll’, ‘Easier Said’ and ‘What Doesn’t Kill Me’ are my personal favorites so far.

Can’t wait to grab the vinyl at Target after work tomorrow!

17. There’s loads here that reminds me of Golden Hour which is welcome, but with lots of new ideas to get stuck into.

Highlights for me so far are Good Wife, Easier Said and There Is A Light.

It’s more than likely to be album of the year for me.

18. It might be the melatonin, but Easier Said is taking me.

19. Getting strong Goldfrapp Felt Mountain vibes from If This Was A Movie!

What a triumph of an album!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.