Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed | Page 72 | The Popjustice Forum

Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by KamikazeHeart, Feb 11, 2021.

1. She deserved a longer performance slot to do a bit of star-crossed and then transition into something else, but it was still solid!

spaceship likes this.
  2. The aesthetics... Catherine Martin and Brigitte Broch would be proud!

[​IMG]

3. If the VMA performance is any indication of the budget for her tour…. consider me PERCHED for that GA ticket for MSG I have.

4. Very nice performance, but I'm extremely confused as to why she chose the album intro.

I mean, I guess she doesn't consider it an intro, but it's... basically an intro. I probably would have chosen any other song except for Gracias a la Vida.

5. She's in her Taylor era of being deluded about which of her songs are the best.

ChrisKostakis and Euphoria like this.
  6. This is the best take that sums up how I feel - I know my own posts have been relatively reactionary and posted as I digested the album. This is much more balanced.

Ashling92, Stopremix, 1986 and 3 others like this.
  7. I guess she just wanted something dramatic, which that song lends itself very well to. I think it worked.

Euphoria likes this.
  8. Maybe she’s attempting a Bey Lemonade situation where a different song is performed on different televised slots. Unsure how much opportunity there is for that right now, but that would be a cool showcase.

lushLuck and Euphoria like this.
  9. As far as I know we got a performance of every song from Golden Hour, so she has form!

10. Yeah, she did that for Golden Hour - that would make sense!

lushLuck and dodoriazarbon like this.
  11. Oh duh - that’ll be why it was in my head in the first place!

Euphoria likes this.

12. This is an excellent post! Even though I really enjoy the album for most part, you hit a nail on the head on so many of its aspects I have an issue with. I agree that production is extremely fitting and that many songs would benefit from having a bridge, if nothing then for lyrical variety. It's not even about her letting us in on everything she's going through, but maybe just to tie up what she wants to share in more intricate ways, like on hookup scene or justified cause some other tracks are just not cutting it. what doesn't kill me is maybe the best example, an outburst of anger that's just glanced over. It's not merely that she doesn't explore the feeling, but replaces any kind of substance with cliches and empty self-referentiality. I'm happy that the rest of the album doesn't dip that low, but I wish some of it was more in-depth. Not because I want to see layers of sadness and heartbreak, but because when she bites, she bites HARD, and she does so on a good portion of the album. It would be great to see layers of whatever she wanted to explore with just a bit more detail. I think RJF wrote about the feeling of indifference persistent throughout the album, like yes, give us that! Or give us anything girl! Give us something more than "God help me be a good wife................ cause he needs me" cause that's not really saying much! More than anything, give us another exercise in flogging your ex's corpse with that loaf of bread you just won!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Heartthrob and dodoriazarbon like this.
  13. It’s just such an easy and fun listen. The grooves are the best she’s ever had on her records. Her voice and melodies still shines, and that’s really what I listen to Kacey for.

lushLuck, ItBeats, clowezra and 2 others like this.
  14. Just had two listens back to back on a flight (always a great place to concentrate on an album) and let me tell you this album is gorgeous! She did it again.

mcuk, sapnu puas, youthless and 18 others like this.
  15. Reducing Star-crossed to just an intro is…. it’s fantastic as a stand-alone song.

16. RMK

RMK

Star Crossed is successful on its own, but it definitely acts as an introduction. That's why it's the first song we heard, as well as the first song on the album and in the film. It was an odd choice to go with only that, when there are two songs actively being promoted.

17. My vinyls arrived today (I purchased the 2 different coloured vinyl with signed card thingy. I've just played the album 3 times in a row and I'm fully loving this now. Slow burn indeed. My first few listens were underwhelming but it's definitely seeped it way in.

SlowBurn likes this.
  18. Yep, it's such a grower!

blaze_dave likes this.
  19. Happy for u tho. Or sorry that happened.

20. Don't do this. You don't have to read their post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.