Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed | Page 77 | The Popjustice Forum

Kacey Musgraves - star-crossed

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by KamikazeHeart, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Phew, the excellence.

SlowBurn likes this.
  2. That vocal arrangement at the start of what doesn't kill me is pretty gorgeous. I'd kind of like to hear an a cappella version that uses that throughout.

3. What Doesn’t Kill Me did absolutely nothing for me on first playthrough and now I can’t stop going back to it.

Clyde likes this.
  4. That "camera roll" - "easier said" - "hookup scene" sequence is towering over the rest of the album for me.

I do think some of the more upbeat songs earlier on, while not poor by any means, are... less worthy of an album with this amount of expectation behind it and peaks as high as the songs named above (and the title track). They just don't feel very essential.

Jersey, Bolton and Heartthrob like this.
  5. The chorus soars more and more a with each listen, both smooth and empowering. I adore it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. Fine no Dr Luke and a couple blunts!

Sanctuary, lushLuck, matthew. and 3 others like this.
  7. I've settled on really enjoying this while also believing some ideas needed to be consolidated to lean out the tracklisting. I like everything here but there's no need for 15 songs when multiple cuts feel more like vignettes than fully realized songs.

I also realized this isn't even in my top 5 of the year and that feels disappointing.

8. I was just coming here to say that, I looove those male harmonies. I wish they were used more in the song.

djmakemewet likes this.
  9. I love every single one of these 15 songs and for me they are all essential. So there’s that. ALSO the film is incredibly camp and i absolutely loved it.

10. Wait...I love this? I had written Kacey off as I found the hype around her and her persona on social a little annoying post-Grammy win; I really had no interest in this at first but I really like it and enjoy the new, darker mood from her. It's not as instant as Golden Hour but it's maybe even more cohesive.

11. The album has no fillers. It's a fact girls.

12. I'm really enjoying all of this, especially "Easier Said". Stunning.

13. RMK

RMK

Her performance at the VMAs was really breathtaking, the vocals are just so angelic. I want a full livestream of that.

heavymetalGAGA and lushLuck like this.
  14. This album is as good as Golden Hour for me. Which is mind blowing as albums like that come once in a career if that - and she just did it again. The talent!

15. I think I'm here in terms of the songs

1. justified
    2. easier said
    3. there is a light
    4. cherry blossom
    5. breadwinner
    6. if this was a movie..
    7. good wife
    8. star-crossed
    9. camera roll
    10. simple times
    11. what doesn't kill me
    12. hookup scene
    13. gracias a la vida
    14. keep lookin up
    15. angel

16. I'm enjoying the album (although not even close to Golden Hour) but her version of Gracias A La Vida is trash. I've removed it from my tracklisting.

Stopremix and irishlamb like this.
  17. Her vocals on that song are so clean, what a a track.

Sean_ius and wodny like this.
  18. The visual for it in the film really elevated it for me.

Trousers and RMK like this.
  19. Speaking of the film, is there still nowhere to watch it in the UK?

20. Work prevented me from listening to this for a bit, but it is absolutely divine. The way she can destroy me with hookup scene and then have me full scarlettjohanssondancing.gif to what doesn’t kill me…her mind. A home run.

ItBeats and lushLuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.