Kanye West - Donda | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

Kanye West - Donda

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by VicePresidentJocasta, Jul 19, 2021.

1. kal

kal

It's beyond me how anyone at a major label is still willing to work with him. With the crapload amount of shenanigans he's pulling, I'd expect him to be self-releasing his stuff.

2. I feel like there is an interesting demonstration of sunk cost fallacy here where people are so deep in “I know Kanye is deeply toxic and is working with homophobes and domestic abusers but he’s a musical GENIUS” rabbit hole. And because of that that they’re sort of gaslighting themselves about his deeply mediocre output. It has to be his best since Yeezus. Because if it isn’t then maybe they were wrong to keep making excuses.

Wishlight, R27, enhanced CD and 2 others like this.
  3. Yeah the amount of airtime people are giving both him and his work is a bit clown school.

Ashling92, Island, Wishlight and 7 others like this.
  4. The album commits the worst sin possible: it's boring. There are a handful of good tracks (Jail, Hurricane, the one with the Lauryn sample) but too much of it all bleeds together, plodding along with boring verses and production that feels like a slog. He's far past his prime. I'm glad to say I have zero urge to click play on this ever again (in fact, I couldn't even make it to the end of the album the first time around ddd).

That said, the numbers are massive. He occupies the entire top 10 on US Spotify and has 18 tracks in the top 20. It'll he interesting to see if any of it holds up beyond a few days if curiosity / hype, though. This doesn't feel like it'll have any legs.

5. Yeah, this is set to have a huge debut. It’s astounding that he really doesn’t seem to have lost his base on streaming.

JGoulden and BrokenHearts like this.
  6. I might have said "Yeezus" was his pinnacle a few years ago because of how sonically forward-thinking it felt at the time it was released, but listening back through last night I can't say it's held up very well. The more distance I get from TNGHT's production schtick being hot/relevant the harder it gets to excuse that he turned "Strange Fruit" into another navel-gazing/self-pitying track about celebrity. Getting Arca/Gesaffelstin/Daft Punk/Evian Christ all touching the same productions is cool to see on the liner notes but did little to imbue the album with the things that make those artists exciting on their own. Most of it just sounds undercooked.

7. Jail did almost 200k on last fm in one day, I think it's the biggest number I saw on the site.

8. The huge numbers are extra depressing because it's validation for his continued descent into full-on stunt queen territory. It's never gonna end.

9. Gotta agree with the last paragraph of this 2 star Guardian review:

10. We’ll have to see how the rest of the week pans out. It’ll be interesting to see if @VicePresidentJocasta’s prediction about the album’s longevity will come true or not. He’s a big enough name that traditional promo won’t really be needed for this to have longevity if it remains visible on streaming playlists and is well received by his fans/the GP.

Stradiwhovius likes this.
  11. The clutched pearls posts are a little ridiculous considering no one is defending any of his antics.

Secret, andiemal and BrokenHearts like this.
  12. SMG

SMG

If you’re referencing people who are upset that others within this thread seem to be not only listening, but praising the work of a man who is platforming sexual abusers and homophobics then ‘not defending his antics’ doesn’t really wash, to be honest - I’ll keep my pearls clutched.

13. I ended up cutting about 10 songs from my donda playlist, but once you trim it up you have a beautifully sparse record.

bazayer likes this.
  14. It is interesting to see how the reception to this is panning out. There's always been conversations about how to deal with problematic artists/actors, can you separate the art from the artist, etc, but Kanye seems like the biggest artist in recent memory with both the most problematic recent antics and the most dedicated fans.

15. I can’t believe people are streaming (with those numbers!) this pile of shit.

I couldn’t even make it past the first three tracks.

16. Mikal and heavymetalGAGA like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.