Karen O - Crush Songs (Debut Solo Album) | The Popjustice Forum

Karen O - Crush Songs (Debut Solo Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Vignesh, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman Karen O goes solo. Record out Sept.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. This is EXCELLENT news!
    Quite possibly the best case of "singer of a band goes solo" since Gwen Stefani.

3. Even though "The Moon Song" is one of the most bafflingly overpraised Oscar-nominated songs in memory, her solo work has all been really special so far. So incredibly here for a proper solo Karen O record.

4. That note is very touching, I'm actually ready to sit down with a glass of wine and listen to it the night it arrives. Interested if it's more acoustic based, or electronic or garage... so many styles.

5. It's technically her second solo album if anyone's counting KO at Home. (Though I guess nobody really should count that and I've yet to even listen to it because it just seems rude and invasive.)

This artwork is giving me intense 90's DIY riot grrl vibes. I hope we get something in that direction.

6. The artwork looks like a Tracey Emin print.

I'm very excited for this! She's maybe my favourite woman in rock.

7. Love the concept. Hope it's amazing.

8. Didn't a lot of her demos leak a few years back? I hope it's not just a re-release of those. Sounds curious anyway.

9. I'm not a huge fan of "Here's an album of songs I recorded like 9 years ago, actually", but I do love Karen so we'll see.

10. This will either be incredible or really disappointing.

I hope it's the former.

With the exception of the atrocious Mosquito (minus Slave, Despair and Sacrilege), I've loved everything the YYY's have put out.

11. Yeah, that was KO At Home. It's definitely not those tracks. It doesn't line up with the crush narrative, and also was recorded long before the time frame she mentions. She's still upset about those tracks leaking anyway. These songs come from the Show Your Bones sessions. I don't know whether they're rejected demos from that time, or if they were even recorded with YYYs, or if they were intended for the band at all, but that's around the time they were written.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  12. I actually really liked The Moon Song. I thought it was such a perfect fit for the movie Her. My friend and I immediately went on iTunes afterwards to download it.

13. RJF

RJF

First single "Rapt" is premiering on Monday.

[​IMG]

Microwave me, Queen.

14. LJB

LJB

Is this the same Karen O who did Immigrant Song with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I'm not familiar with the Yeah Yeah Yeah's but if it's her then I'm interested.

15. That's her!

16. [video=youtube;oTvqMfvVWYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTvqMfvVWYQ[/video]
    Rapt is out. The melody is very Show Your Bones-esque, as I was expecting.

17. None of the songs exceed two minutes and thirty seconds and some are shorter than a minute...

I feel cheated.

18. what did you expect from punk demos?

19. RJF

RJF

It's a bit of a frustrating listen. I get what she was going for so I like the incredibly rough aesthetic of the music, but so many of the tracks cut off before they get interesting. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just dismiss them, but you can't because you can tell they could be really interesting. The melodies are there and that glorious voice is, of course, there, but the commitment isn't.

Then again, I suppose that's what crushes are all about. Half-formed dreams and fantasies that either fade out or are cut short by reality. Still, though. £40 for my sunburst vinyl and all I get is twenty-six minutes? That's cold, Karen. Really fucking cold.

20. Thanks for confirming this will be a download only, RJF.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.