Kate Bush | Page 173 | The Popjustice Forum

Kate Bush

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by tommie, Jan 14, 2007.

1. This is making me oddly emotional! It's just so random and so deserved.

2. What's the story behind Experiment IV? I wonder if it's a leftover from the Hounds of Love sessions or if she specifically recorded it for The Whole Story. Criminally underrated song.

We need Under The Ivy on streaming services as well.

3. The official talk is that it was written specifically for The Whole Story as the "extra" song when she was forced to make a compilation. She was originally going to re-record all of the vocals on The Whole Story but time was running short on the expected turnaround, so only "Wuthering Heights" was redone, and the new song included as a way to not rip off fans, and show a glimpse of the future.

From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, "Experiment IV" was the start of the mid-album sessions between Hounds and The Sensual World. (Other non-album songs from that period like the more laid-back "I'm Still Waiting"—which ended up a b-side—, and the more propulsive "Be Kind to My Mistakes"—written for a soundtrack—still share a similar mysterious ~v i b e~ that's not quite Hounds not quite World.)

Correct.

Also correct!

4. Thanks for clarifying! Interesting she wanted to re-record, personally I prefer the 1986 version of Wuthering Heights. She turned the campery all the way up for those final ad libs.

5. Oh my goodness. The wailing at the end.

1991 and Sam like this.
  6. I can do without the faux-soulful hysterics and the 20 second reverb on everything. Give me the original "Wuthering Heights" every time.

7. Funnily enough, this was at the same time The Police released their own compilation with one song re-recorded, when their plan had also been to do a whole album's worth of the things.

8. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

While yes, abbreviations are not allowed on the forum I think you would be hard pressed to find a mod or really any member who is going to throw a stink about such a silly, revelatory, and generally excited post such as this that happens to use an easily understood abbreviation. I actually think the term Big Pop Girl (BPG) originated from this very forum and went onto wider use across the internet.

KT is a very common way to shorten Kate and/or Katie, look at KT Tunstall for example and B is an abbreviation for Bush. Because this is such a monumental moment in pop I am willing to turn a blind eye in this moment. You still need to spell out Love’s Got A Hold On My Heart.

Mr.Arroz, Jamie, Wishlight and 6 others like this.
  9. They don't need to re-issue The Whole Story because she had further music releases after that album so why not just release a new greatest hits and make some additional coin?

More like 'The Essential Kate Bush'. Something like;
    01. Running Up That Hill
    02. Hounds of Love
    03. King of the Mountain
    04. The Man with the Child in His Eyes
    05. Moments of Pleasure
    06. Babooshka
    07. Wow
    08. Cloudbusting
    09. The Red Shoes
    10. The Sensual World
    11. Army Dreamers
    12. This Woman's Work
    13. Rubberband Girl
    14. And Dream of Sheep (Before the Dawn)
    15. Wuthering Heights
    16. Running Up That Hill ('Stranger Things' Version)

Wishlight, ModeRed and iveivan like this.
  10. I’m sorry but I’m like …. obsessed with her right now. I keep turning towards all of her albums but Hounds of Love especially feels so important. I feel lucky to listen to it, every time. It blows me away and the expressiveness of her vocals is a masterclass.

Trouble in Paradise and Sam like this.
  11. Quite an good set list that. I would get!

iveivan likes this.
  12. Nothing from The Dreaming!? Or 50 Words for Snow? No Breathing? I think a double album with all singles is the best idea.

13. Yup, let’s have a ‘proper’ round up of her releases.

14. And DVD of remastered videos.

Imagine if The Line, The Cross And The Curve got uploaded to Netflix!

tom71, Andrew and Eric Generic like this.
  15. What I'd like to see:

1. The Wholly Whole Story - every UK single in its correct 7" format, chronological tracklist.

2. A Blu Ray boxset of everything they can clear from her archive of TV performances - from Live In Concert to Ask Aspel to The Line, The Cross And The Curve, not to mention 4K restorations of all her videos.

3. Kate realises she was mad to turn down Steven Wilson when he offered his services so she phones him up, he cancels everything else and BOOM we get the entire Bush oeuvre in 5.1

4. Before The Dawn: The Blu Ray.

16. And an official release of her pre-fame demoes.

17. That's a fabulously patronising reply to a reasonable question. You're in Comeback Corner now, son, we talk about music using complete sentences and everything down here, no "ddddd" or "I-" or "SCREAM" required.
    So I'm afraid that impenetrable abbreviations aren't going to cut it. How in fuck's name were we supposed to guess that "BPG" means "big pop girl" if we never bother going into P&J?

18. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

In my answer to the question above!

Enjoy the celebrations everyone! I’m playing Hounds Of Love with the windows open today.

Mr.Arroz, Jamie, Wishlight and 9 others like this.
  19. ModeRed and lob0to like this.
  20. 2014

2014 Staff Member

....good grief.

snoho, soratami, Mr.Arroz and 18 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.