Katy B - Little Red (Album) | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy B - Little Red (Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Artemisia, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Yeah, I'd give that 4.5 or 5 stars.

2. After spending the afternoon with the album, I can say I'm gonna love it for a long time, and that feel it's the 2014 version of Aaliyah's 'One In a Million' album.

Both artists have a very laid-back style, a calm, yet powerful, voice, and that cool 'street' slant to their act. The album itself is actually very similar in terms of content, sound and even genre - Timbaland claims to have created the two-step sound of the UK garage scene with a lot of his earlier records. The albums are both very accessible records that could be classified as pop, while both maintaining enough of their essence as dance/garage & R&B/hip-hop albums to cross over. 'Crying For No Reason' and 'Still' could be more grown up versions of 'The One I Gave My Heart To', while 'Next Thing' is similar to 'Ladies In Da House', 'I Like You' is a modern 'Hot Like Fire', 'Tumbling Down' has the same sound palette as 'Heartbroken' and 'Play' is like a 2014 spin on 'Never Givin' Up'. Aaliyah herself was obviously a clear influence on the album (Katy has called her an influence before) since Katy titled a song with Aaliyah's name, and Miss B's 'Hot Like Fire' shares a title with a song from 'One In a Million'.

Who would have thought that a redheaded girl from Peckham would be Aaliyah's successor!

3. RJF

RJF

Is there a version out there that doesn't sound like it was split apart by a two year old?

4. There is one by a 5 year old and a 7 year old said he'd upload his after he plays with his LEGOs.

5. RJF

RJF

He's probably already gone to his fucking bed, too. Shit.

6. Uno

Uno

My version sounds perfect? I don't know what you guys are talking about.

7. RJF

RJF

I've clearly boarded the wrong train. Let me change at the next stop.

8. I love 'Emotions'. It's my favourite so far. This is a really easy listen, isn't it?

Island likes this.
  9. RJF

RJF

Does everyone else have the same version with the advert after "Next Thing" and the silence at the start of tracks? I need to know.

10. Uno

Uno

I do have the advert at the end of Next Thing (which could be easily taken off in the Options section of iTunes) but none of the tracks on my version have silence at the start.

11. Yeah, that's the only version that's out there.

I wonder if iTunes match will work with these. I think that's how Pure Heroine leaked in HQ.

12. The expression 'you get what you pay for' springs to mind....

13. RJF

RJF

Well, what I paid for won't arrive until Monday with the post, so I'm improvising.

14. Well, this is tremendous. It's growing on me more and more with each listen. The ballads are definitely the standout tracks. I mean this in the best possible way, but 'Tumbling Down' really makes me think of the sort of thing Steps would be doing if they actually cared about being good popstars in 2014.

My only complaint is that at times it's all a bit anonymous and I think someone like Mutya (I love her voice you see; full of character) could take it on to a whole other level, but I think the anonymity kind of works with this sort of record. I dunno. It's still good, so whatever.

15. Anonymous?

16. Yeah, like it could be anyone singing most of the songs. Like, it tells me nothing about who Katy B is or what she's about. It's a small complaint and it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment so much, but it's part and parcel of being a good popstar to my mind.

17. I'm kinda pressed with how Tumbling Down ends. It could have been huge, but it disappointingly returns to the sparse production at the beginning of the song.

18. It just matched the singles and I Like You for the moment.

19. I just question because this album is packed with so much emotion and character that's so specifically Katy B to me. That "real girl" thing has always been hers, and so many songs on the album are so open and vulnerable; just plainly communicated, beautifully written expressions of what she's feeling and doing and being.

Long story short, I disagree. What a phenomenal record, and it's only February, AND there are still bonus tracks to be heard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.