Katy Perry - 6th Album

Birthday sounded like an absolute smash and was an obvious single. It didn't end up being a smash but it was still a platinum top 20 hit. Maybe if they hadn't given it that ghastly video and waited for Dark Horse to die down it might have done better, who knows.

Anyway, Prism went 5x platinum. A hit.

I think you have to lack joy not to get something out of Birthday. It's so silly but so camp and catchy. Katy in a cream pie nutshell.

Birthday is an absolute blast of a bop and was a perfect single choice. The problem was the atrocious music video. But I much prefer it to This Is How We Do, which is cute but one of my least favorite songs on Prism.

he/his/him
'Birthday' is cute for an Instagram birthday post but that's about it.

'This is How We Do', though? BOP

SUCH a bop… also This is How We Do - why was that not more of a hit?

Also on a completely different note, I absolutely love ‘by the grace of god’ - not a hit or a single but so well written and so indicative of Katy’s thoughts going through the separation from Brand, and a reminder that she’s a great, classy and classic songwriter at the heart of it

Spiritual and Choose Your Battles are truly great. It Takes Two is alright too. They’re better than the standard bubblegum-pop that was filling part of the main tracklist (international smile) and would have been a cute additions.

Witnesses writing is pretty bad, which is such a shame as there are some bops there and she’s clearly has the capacity to be a great songwriter.

Her public persona unravelling at the time she chose to try to be ‘authentic’ was interesting and probably no coincidence. She’s actually very unlikable at times.

It Takes Two, Unconditionally, and This Moment are THEE underrated trio of her discography. She does emotional pop so well.

crying-tears.gif

Praise for This Is How We Do (Cultural Appropriation)… ddd… that look was not it and definitely not ok even in 2013.

I don’t think the song is bad but looking back that was all really bad and definitely didn’t help it’s success.

he/his/him
Spiritual and Choose Your Battles are truly great. It Takes Two is alright too. They’re better than the standard bubblegum-pop that was filling part of the main tracklist (international smile) and would have been a cute additions.
UGH Spiritual was soooo goood. Honestly I know Teenage Dream was a highlight, but Prism was a peak in terms of real songwriting and giving us a glimpse of Katy Hudson