Katy Perry - 6th Album

Witness' biggest problem (outside that damn haircut - the unlikely Keri Russel of her generation!) is that the "experimental" tracks weren't all that left of field and the songs clearly designed to be singles weren't even as good as the non-singles from her last album. If you cut a couple songs, Witness actually is a really cohesive effort and most of it is a solid B+/B with a few A's sprinkled in. It's only true lows (for me) are Into Me You See and Miss You More, the latter because it had the potential to be a classic Katy ballad but is severely underwritten.

I wonder if Rise really hurt Witness. I am not even sure it really affected it at all in the long run. I have always liked that song anyway.

I absolutely love Roulette but I don’t think picking it as a single would have given better results though.

I’m just not convinced she can do any better than Never Really Over, Harley's, Cry About It Later or Teary Eyes. All great songs, but more of the same won’t work.

I think it’s time to pick up the guitar again.

he/him
Her current styling does feel rock chick-adjacent, and somewhat fresh for her. This new post being the most blatant, but her appearances on Jimmy Kimmel and iHeartRadio had a similar 'edge' that we don't see when she's doing American Idol.

I think this just might be because of the aesthetic trends going on right now (indie sleaze, etc), but I'd kill for a return for pop-rock.

Witness' biggest problem (outside that damn haircut - the unlikely Keri Russel of her generation!) is that the "experimental" tracks weren't all that left of field and the songs clearly designed to be singles weren't even as good as the non-singles from her last album. If you cut a couple songs, Witness actually is a really cohesive effort and most of it is a solid B+/B with a few A's sprinkled in. It's only true lows (for me) are Into Me You See and Miss You More, the latter because it had the potential to be a classic Katy ballad but is severely underwritten.

The way 90% of this post is what we have been saying about Bionic since 2010 when the two albums have often been compared as underrated masterpieces!

he/him
Witness is tied with her debut as my favourite albums from her, I fully will never get the hate for it. The lyrics are dumb but it’s chart pop music with excellent production so who cares!