Katy Perry - Smile | Page 547 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy Perry - Smile

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by jamesmax, Sep 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pleased to see we're all in agreement that this is excellent

[​IMG]

Fuchsia, Sam, myblood and 34 others like this.
  2. Was in the same boat but I’m really, really glad I didn’t after listening through tonight. A gorgeous, genuine, effervescent treat throughout.

Andrew, Music Is Death and goldsoundz like this.
  3. Honestly what the hell were they thinking pushing Small Talk and Smile when they had songs like Cry About It Later, Teary Eyes, and Tucked waiting? Overall I think the album is solid, but I agree with some of the comments saying that the middle section bogs it down a bit. I think I'll make a cute EP moment out of the first four tracks, Tucked, Bopleys in Hawaii, and Only Love.

4Roses, myblood, Maki and 9 others like this.
  4. They really knew what they were doing the day they made “Teary Eyes”.

Also, I take back what I said about “Resilient”. She’s popping off with these headphones.

Sam, 4Roses, myblood and 6 others like this.
  5. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

It's not changed my life on first listen or anything, but it's a really solid comfort-food kind of pop album. It doesn't aim particularly high, but that also means it doesn't fall flat on its face with any ideas it can't pull off.

And Teary Eyes is the one. The best song of this era and yes I'm including Never Really Over. It's absolute joy.

phily693, Maki, Crisp X and 7 others like this.
  6. This is much groovier and dance inflected than I expected.

Music Is Death likes this.
  7. I think nothing comes off as a huge undeniable hit sans Never Really Over ('Cry' doesn't really sound like a hit to me like it does others), but the album overall feels extremely competent, which has been a struggle for her for every album in the past.

Daises really is impeccable and a victory. I thought I'd hate Resilient from what people have said, but I kinda love it, though I didn't really notice any clunky lyrics on first listen.

Champagne Problems is really nice but that god awful opening line. Christ.

Tucked is very One Of The Boys for the best. Only Love is very Prism too, which is nice.

High On Your Supply is great production-wise and could sonically fit with the album (keep Small Talk far, far away) but the tone of the lyrics feels like it'd be a bit too at odds with the album.

The sequencing is actually probably the best she's ever done with this being her first cohesive album, though I think I'd still cut Smile and Not The End of the World. I don't even think I mind Smile anymore as its grown on me, but it feels like a song created once the album was already done and tossed onto it due to the label fearing there was no solid Hot AC hit on it.

She really should have made it a solid 10-track affair and called the album Cry About It Later, which feels like a way smarter and more effective title than just Smile.

I don't know yet if it's her strongest album, but it does feel like her most consistent.

Sam, myblood, phily693 and 18 others like this.
  8. there’s something so disarmingly earnest about this whole album - it’s almost like she achieved with this what she wanted to do with Witness... I don’t like everything on first listen but it sounds more coherent than anything she’s done. Now the only thing I really dislike is the honestly really awful cover.

livefrommelbs likes this.
  9. So they switched the single to Cry? It's the push track on all the New Music Friday playlists.

About to dive in!

10. “Only Love” is the one.

hologram, Jersey, 4Roses and 24 others like this.
  11. Do people not consider One of the Boys cohesive? Ur So Gay is really the only sonic outlier. It’s a pop/rock album through and through. Witness is mostly a cohesive effort until you get to Tsunami and from there out it sort of becomes a free for all.

Smile works really well as a whole to me. Not the End of the World is the big sonic outlier. Other than that the whole record flows pretty seamlessly.

gagapourgaga, myblood, Maki and 5 others like this.
  12. TBD. “Teary” is playlisted on Apple Music and “Only Love” is on Spotify’s “Pop Rising.”

Modeblock and Mikal like this.
  13. Maybe it's because I'm in the UK but I don't see Teary Eyes anywhere. Smile is still on A-List Pop and they haven't added any of her songs to New Music Daily or Today's Hits.

Andrew likes this.
  14. Tucked is the one for me.

Maki, Serg. and GimmeWork like this.
  15. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    myblood, nooniebao, Serg. and 6 others like this.
  16. This whole record is
    [​IMG]

Tucked and Cry About It Later are so good

Sam, myblood, phily693 and 12 others like this.
  17. Teary Eyes could be a top tier Katy single. Infinitely better than Smile.

I like Resilient ddd. Makes me nostalgic for Prism. The middle 8 serves some serious One Of The Boys melody which is lovely. But she doesn’t half take a metaphor and run with it... full bloom indeed!

Not the End of the World is actually.... not as bad as I feared? I actually quite like it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    ohaimanabu likes this.
  18. In order the top 5 (shoutout to Never Really Over as well though!)

Teary Eyes
    Not the End of the World
    Cry About It Later
    Only Love
    Tucked

19. Cry About It Later is really, really good. This should definitely have been a single before now.

Teary Eyes is a bit less immediate and sounds like an album track but a really top-tier one. It could probably use a proper middle 8 though.

Tucked really is that shimmery roller rink fantasy. Serving 2001 via 1978. That chorus is so instant.

Resilient is perfectly cute, y'all doing too much as per. Not The End of the World is not the reductive Dark Horse echo I feared. She's done this better before but the chorus actually has a bit of warmth to it this time (although the outro does sound randomly like a sample of Kristinia deBarge's Goodbye!).

Only Love took about 5 seconds to reveal that it's going to snatch the weave clean off my head. Oh lyrically this one is definitely for the locals, it sounds like a UK radio smash. It's quite Prism.

I'm really impressed. I'll listen to the rest shortly but even if they're all shit, she came through! A much stronger record than Witness, even without highlights that quite scale the same heights. It's much more like Prism in many ways and that's my favourite Katy record. This might become #2...

myblood, nooniebao, sexercise and 9 others like this.
  20. The way I was vibing on my first listen, not wanting to make any judgments on my first listen but just take my faves music in and then “Only Love” hit. I...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.