Katy Perry - Smile | Page 619 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy Perry - Smile

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by jamesmax, Sep 8, 2018.

1. R92

R92

Was that her best vocal performance yet? Fantastic.

2. Top 10 on iTunes again. Still cashing those digital sales checks in 2021.

4Roses, mayhuee, Lupita and 5 others like this.
  3. What's the background on people hating "Firework" here? Is it simply too on the nose for the gays? I've always loved it. I think "Roar" is the one major Katy single that's somewhat unworthy.

Liberty, Lupita and Andrew.L like this.
  4. Firework rightfully earns its place in the pop hall of fame, but Katy has far, far more exciting hits.

tombiz, mayhuee and matthew. like this.
  5. I finally watched the performance. I have very little goodwill for Katy at this point, but I can't deny that was an incredible performance. There are just enough minor quibbles I have with the vocal take to be convinced it is live, and for that, I'm hella impressed with her vocals here, something I can rarely say. Props to you, Miss Perry!

6. Only Girl in the world is my bet.

Agree. Roar is annoying. Thankfully radio doesn't play it any more... Yet I keep hearing more timeless Firework.

7. Firework is a good but its not a top tier Katy song for me. I think its the "make 'em go ah! ah! ah! as you shoot across the sky-y -y" that has always thrown me a bit.

Both it and Roar are modern classics.

scottdisick94 likes this.
  8. Ok that Firework performance made me a bit emotional. I love her voice a lot actually.

9. Katy's performance at the capitol was vocally beautiful, such a sight to see, and overall an emotional moment. Probably the best pop star performance to come out of the inauguration.

10. Honestly I don’t even like Firework that much BUT that performance was special and I had goosebumps and hopefully a firework landed on trump.

DoggySwami likes this.
  11. Oh I am here for this.

12. I need an urban Katy bawp again. Something with a 'in your face' punch.

13. Like everyone else, I agree that this is the best that she and Firework have ever sounded. It actually moved me a lot, coming off the last four years and the fight to even make it to Inauguration Day. Stunning performance all around, those fireworks were insane. I can't imagine what it must have been like to see it in person.

14. RJF

RJF

The other four people who attended the Witness World Tour know that arrangement of "Firework" has been turning the girls to ash for years now. Y'all are late.

4Roses, Neon Green, GimmeWork and 7 others like this.
  15. Okay but she should have sung Bon Appetit at that Pride event three days ago.

16. Firework is just so twee and shouty and while it sounded vocally fine I just hate everything about it. Now this, this would've been a moment!

"Ladies and gentleman, to honour America, three-time Nickelodeon Kids Choice Award winner Katy Perry..."

17. This is one of her all time best performances. I love the staging here and the dancers with fruit on their heads is so Katy in the best way. My only issue is I hate what she's wearing. It looks like grandmas nightgown. She should have been wearing a white version of what her dancers have on.

I few weeks ago I rewatched the SNL performance for the first time since it aired and, again, it was staged so well until Migos show up. I thought you could tell she had never rehearsed it with Migos cuz thats when it falls apart. She didn't know what to do with herself and so we got the awkward dabbing etc. But up until that point it's excellent, particularly for SNL, since generally those are relatively straight forward performances because of the space. If she had her long black hair and was in a corset made of fruit no one would have batted an eyelash at it.

18. M Pokora playing it cool / unimpressed when 2008 him probably DM'd Katy every week on Myspace begging for a France-only feature on MP3.

19. This is my favorite performance from that era:

The staging, outfits, choreography, and vocals were all on point. Her giving her best performances to assorted versions of The Voice... A choice.

snoho, GimmeWork, tylerc904 and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.