Katy Perry - Teenage Dream | Page 59 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lennox, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

As I've said before, I'm entitled to my opinion.  Go to a fan site if you don't like it.  Also, I'm not the first or worst to say she can't sing, but I really couldn't help myself with that performance... Positively abhorrent, and I'm not afraid to say it.

2. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Fair enough, you're entitled to your own opinion, I'm not denying that. But you've been shoving it down our throats for the past few pages and it's very annoying.

3. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Deal?

4. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

I'm gonna have to agree with tiktik on this one. Katy Perry is a zit on the ass of pop music. Foolish presence, can't sing, can't dance, and always has something just a little too blunt to say. She reminds me of a very certain type of person that absolutely makes my skin crawl, so I think my loathing of her is quite personal on top of her just being a second rate pop star. She should've been the lead singer of a punk band, I think, not a pop star.

5. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Yet she writes and makes great pop music, so she is undoubtably entitled to be a pop star. She's has two of the best songs out this year and has been smashing records all over the place.

6. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Come on - make love, make no war... and tell me that this album is available!

7. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Your logic is flawed. Max Martin writes her music. Nice try though.

8. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

I am not gay and I was offended by I kissed a girl and Ur so gay, TWO YEARS AGO. I've moved on since. I hated Katy, I really did, I thought she couldn't sing, was disrespectful to the gay community and, most of all, dumb (tried to hard and all that). But honestly , now when I look back I think that I kissed a girl was just a fun song (every girl has ended up kissing her girlfriends at a party once), and even a very clever single to really begin a career (the Like A Virgin way). In 10 years people will still sing I kissed a girl at parties, like it or not. People will always remember it. And Ur so gay wasn't that offensive, it wasn't even a hit, it was just supposed to be funny.
    [/quote]

I suspect for a lot of gay men or boys, it would be fairly devastating to have (a) a singer banging on in a song about her ex boyfriend being gay, with every negative or derisive gay stereotype under the sun hurled scornfully at him by Ms Perry. And then, in true hypocritical fashion she sang about how cool it was for her to experiment with same sex kssing. It was fairly devastating and depressing for me to face such prejudice in popular culture, but then, I'm a gay male.

9. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

That live performance of Teenage Dream was dire. Period. It's like, why is she one of the most successful singers in the world at the moment?
    She's got a great persona, and has real popstar quality with brilliant songs, but you can't cover up the fact that she really cannot sing live.

10. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

This describes how I felt about "Ur So Gay" and "I Kissed a Girl" to a T. Just, embarrassingly sexist and discriminatory, and at the same time, IKAG was inescapably popular... It was very upsetting.

11. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

She can though. I originally wasn't a big fan of her until I saw her live. I must admit she's a lot better at shows and festivals though

12. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

That's how I feel aswell really. Just because it happened 2 years ago doesn't mean it's ok. And it's not a question of her being pro-gay or gay-friendy or whatever. It's a question of broadcasting a really stereotypical and prejudiced view of homosexual people to give your music a gimmick and sell records. I mean, she didn't need to go there, and she did. It was cheap, low and really backward. This is the 21st century where gay rights are supposed to be moving on in leaps and bounds, and then somebody releases really catchy songs to the masses with a horrible message. Lame.

There are plenty of ways to put gimmcks into your music without being offensive.

13. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

The sad part is, I don't even have to ask why she's successful.
    1) She pandered to the male gaze inexcusably badly with IKAG to break onto the scene
    2) She is very conventionally attractive; thin, nice smile, big boobs that she pretends are real
    3) She worked with Max Martin

Success was imminent. That doesn't make it less depressing.

14. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

I suspect for a lot of gay men or boys, it would be fairly devastating to have (a) a singer banging on in a song about her ex boyfriend being gay, with every negative or derisive gay stereotype under the sun hurled scornfully at him by Ms Perry. And then, in true hypocritical fashion she sang about how cool it was for her to experiment with same sex kssing. It was fairly devastating and depressing for me to face such prejudice in popular culture, but then, I'm a gay male.
    [/quote]
    This describes how I felt about "Ur So Gay" and "I Kissed a Girl" to a T. Just, embarrassingly sexist and discriminatory, and at the same time, IKAG was inescapably popular... It was very upsetting.
    [/quote]

Yeah, it's no accident that it was mid winter and I was on a 3 week bender between law firms too, which was nice. But I truly think gay males need to stand up against this double standard bollocks we see around us. We've got the bigots on the run, let's smoke em out etc etc, but that means pointing out more subtle forms of discrimination. Love is love and if we get fair dinkum about all this, no form of prejudice is more acceptable than another.

15. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

tittok, I know why she's successful, but when only looking at her vocals, I just think... is she really good enough to have a career out of singing?

16. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

It's not though, she's using the stereotyped image, I wonder if you'd feel the same if it was your so straight but you don't even like girls. Plus it's not even just in the sense of homosexuality it's the image of the 'indie' scene.Plus doesn't that say something to you if it didn't bother the millions who bought it (gay or straight) was does it bother you?

17. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

No that says shit to me. And your "You're So Straight" argument is completely null and void because straight people are not the minority, LGBT people are. Stop talking, it's just hilarious.

18. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

That was a great performance?? Not a dull routine which anyone could do. She brings a lot of energy attributes of a great performer.

19. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Good enough in the sense that people buy her records. She gets shit reviews and doesn't have much respect in the industry though, and it says something that not even she takes herself seriously. She thinks it's good that she's in on her joke, I guess, but it doesn't make her any less of one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.