Katy Perry - Teenage Dream | Page 60 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lennox, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Oh! She's not my fav artist but there's so much worse out now. And I have to say I like all her singles

2. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

I really do love her though, I might even buy Teenage Dream!

3. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Well, i know of many a gay man (even here in Aus) who found it offensive and almost like a personal attack. Even if the stereotypes don't apply to us personally. But that's just it really isn't it?

The difference is that straight people are not a minority who have derisive and often downright wrong stereotypes hurled scornfully at them. But that's what that UR so Gay song was all about.

The fact that some gays were not offended is not the point - the point is that a significant number WERE, and that ain't right. Congrats to Tik Tok, your posts over the last few pages have been some of the most intelligent here.

4. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

*Facepalm*

Laughed out loud at her Supercuts $10 haircut and that... Outfit?

5. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

*Takes a bow*
    Now no one has to ask me why I'm "being negative in a Katy Perry thread." Because the answer is obviously that not everyone likes the bitch.

6. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

So you don't mind attacking her personal taste? Aren't you attacking someone because they don't dress like the norm..Isn't that discriminating?

7. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

She makes good pop songs and has a fun personality. She dosen't have to be the next coming of Christ to be good.

8. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

There is a tremendous difference between me making fun of her outfit and haircut and her writing a homophobic song that singles out and attacks gay male stereotypes. Look up the terms "heterosexual privilege" and "homophobia." You're welcome.

9. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Can you imagine the uproar if she had sang a song about someone she disliked laden with negative and prejudiced stereotypes about , let's see, blacks, Jews, Muslims, lesbians.....

You're so black but you don't even like stirfry?

There would be a bloody uproar. But because it's just the homos, the record producers think, what the heck, let's just go and sell a few records, and do a couple of interviews where she references a good friend Mika and says how she didn't really mean to piss you all off. Well, some of us just aren't that stupid.

10. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

No I'm pretty sure both come under bullying. She may be just as offended by your comments as you are about her song.

11. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Laughed out loud... She could be as offended as she wants, but people with $10 haircuts and hilariously bad outfits aren't a societal minority who face prejudice and discrimination in almost every facet of daily life. Once again, you're just getting hilarious now.

12. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

I'm not saying what she did wasn't offensive, but two wrongs don't make a right. If you don't like it don't listen, rise above it.

13. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

I just don't see how it was offensive. Explain to me the difference between, say, using a stereotypical character like Jack on Will & Grace for comedy relief and Katy using her ex-boyfriend (who fits the "stereotype" - except that he doesn't like boys) for comedy relief.

Katy singing about how her ex is so gay that he really should be gay doesn't really translate into anything other than Katy singing about a camp guy who happens to be straight, at least not for me. The context wasn't "You're so awful/annoying/disgusting", so I don't see it really being a negative song. I like listening to it when I meet straight guys who really set off my gaydar, why does it have to be about more than that? I can't see how the song attacks gay people whatsoever.

14. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

For the record, I find Jack in Will & Grace offensive as well...  But I'll just leave that.

"You’re so sad maybe you should buy a happy meal
    You’re so skinny you should really Super Size the deal
    Secretly you’re so amused
    That nobody understands you
    I’m so mean cause I cannot get you outta your head
    I’m so angry cause you’d rather MySpace instead
    I can’t believe I fell in love with someone that wears more makeup than…"

I am a gay male.  I am not anorexic, don't care about Myspace, don't wear makeup, and I'm not amused by how "no one understands me." 

I won't even bring up the fact that she's using "gay" in its pejorative form, which I have heard since elementary school used to describe anyone who differed from the norm.  I really needed to hear it all over the radio too...  If you don't see how it's offensive, you need to learn to read.

15. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

I really hate it when Political correctness goes this far. It's fun, silly music and nothing to be taken seriously. So what? She's singing a song about how her boyfriend's effeminate and camp but isn't gay, despite quite a good percentage of gays being effeminate and camp. 'Oh no! She called us camp!' My god, get over yourself - your sexuality isn't the most important thing in the world and I guarantee barely anyone cares.

16. Resi12

Resi12 Guest

Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Are we not over this argument, it's so old. I fail to see how people think she meant it in a homophobic way, people are so fuckin touchy. She has got to be the most camp performer alive at the moment in pop, she clearly doesn't hate or dislike gay people in anyway.

17. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

I have explained exactly why I see it in a homophobic way. The fact that she herself is camp doesn't change a bit of what her lyrics say. Next excuse, anyone?

18. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Ur so gay is shit anyway - bring the new record on Ms. Gayty Hatey

19. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

If you want to be offended by go ahead, personally I think life's too short.\

Anyway I wouldn't mind Firework leaking soon . I really wanna hear it in full

20. Re: Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2nd Studio Album 2010)

Don't worry, lots of people find life too short to engage in critical thinking or having opinions.  Hence the world we live in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.