Katy Perry - The Rate WINNER | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy Perry - The Rate WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by swim, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Lila

Lila Staff Member

One of the girls I look after told me the other night that she’s been cat called in the park (she’s barely 10) and it made me so depressed I couldn’t even listen to the non-Katy bits of the song.

2. 'Cup Of Coffee' is better than at least half of One Of The Boys. I made do with the LQ mp3 for so long, it's odd hearing the guitar actually sound in tune.

swim likes this.
  3. [​IMG]
    67. Use Your Love
    Average: 6.50 (Down 0.01 points, down 33 places)
    Highest score: 10x5 @Espeon @GimmeWork @unnameable @slaybellz @tylerc904
    Lowest score: 1x1 @j267
    My score: 6

Whilst I almost certainly underscored this, as it pops off quite a bit, I've never really saw Katy as an artist who does many features or covers, and when she does she swallows them entirely. 'Use Your Love' is a good effort but doesn't give me that superstar envelopment I expect. Originally on her debut EP (I won't mention the name ddd) apparently she skipped a Queen cover for this as she wanted something for the club. I'm not sure what kind of club plays 'Use Your Love'...

[​IMG]
    66. Waving Through a Window
    Average: 6.53 (New entry)
    Highest score: 10x3 @Lost Boy @Leader Beans @eatyourself
    Lowest score: 2x1 @Rose-Coloured Boy

Whilst I'm not a particular musical fan, 'Waving Through a Window' struck me almost immediately. Naming her own depression as the reason for wanting to cover the song, it came at a dark time for the singer, who has since gone on to talk about the complete mental collapse that accompanied the crash of Witness. Funny that this should fall with 'Use Your Love', the other cover in the rate, because I find that this one just becomes a Katy Perry song instantly. The vocal delivery is beautiful, the production has a subtle Teenage Dream presence, and the emotion hits like a damn sledgehammer. And that final key change and chorus? Whew

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. Also while I'm here I want to let everyone know that I'll be using Saturdays to go over the losses so far instead of dropping more songs. I found during the P!nk rate that having that little respite helps stay motivated.

5. Oh i'm pleasantly surprised Use Your Love got multiple 10s. Team taste!

Music Is Death, Maki and 1986 like this.
  6. [​IMG]
    65. This Moment
    Average: 6.55 (Up 1.23 points, down 12 places)
    Highest score: 10x3 @Espeon @GimmeWork @Andrew.L
    Lowest score: 2x1 @j267
    My score: 8.5

Prism has had quite an overhaul since the last rate, you'll find, with 'This Moment' receiving one of the biggest score boosts of the entire rate. Apparently inspired by a self-help book, Perry pulls a Marina and decries the hangups of the past for now. I have pretty vivid memories of this being debated as a final single when the era stalled out, it was definitely a dry season. I'm glad to see it garnering a little more appreciation than last time alongside the back half of Prism, which is wistful Swedish heaven at times. It definitely marked a point at which people began to tire of Perry's attempts to trigger nostalgic cheer with her songwriting, which she'd soon hang up for a while.

[​IMG]
    64. Pendulum
    Average: 6.56 (New entry)
    Highest score: 10x3 @BubblegumBoy @saviodxl @Crisp X
    Lowest score: 1x1 @citoig
    My score: 9

Where Prism has seeminglg managed to attract a new weight of fans, Witness sheds yet another track. This time its the bizarre and bombastic almost-closer to its parent album, a sharp contrast with the coolness of the rest of the album. More akin to her past work than the electronic leanings she delved into, 'Pendulum' is a gospel inspired epic that stands well alone but ultimately confuses with its placement.

7. I love This Moment and it's overall sonic vibe, it's always stood head and shoulders above most of the rest of Prism to my ears.

8. A Cup of Coffee | 7.75 | Definitely wrote this one off years ago, but was a pleasant surprise. It definitely towers over a handful of main tracks on the album itself, at least for me it does.

Starstrukk | 9.25 | If it could've beaten a lot of the songs listed below I think it would've been just the right amount of "overstaying its welcome" for the haters. Yes, Katy doesn't really provide as much to this technically but it still goes off after all these years. Just like Kesha's "Blah Blah Blah" I don't think I'll ever tire of these 'of the time' bops 3OH!3 provided though I recognize the cat-calling hooks and other lyrical choices will keep many away, especially if the song was never something they listened to or even heard back in the day.

Use Your Love | 6.5 | This was probably my "okay I'm down with this era" moment during my scoring session, though the score didn't drop off as much so well done I guess.

Waving Through a Window | 6.75 | No idea it was cover, but not really memorable either way, to me.

This Moment | 6.75 | We've dodged a bullet, this is certainly a first Prism elimination I can get behind! Though if you asked me to score this in 2013/14, I'd probably give it an 8.5.

Pendulum | 5.5 | I know my luck with the Witness reveals is going to run out soon because I remember all my favorites were the early cuts in the Big Pop Girls rate, so I feel like we may be getting the rank order right this time. I only have a few songs left below an 8.

Aester, Island and swim like this.
  9. This Moment 5 My least favorite song on the album, @Lost Boy hit the mail in the head by comparing it to the music of The Artist Formerly Known As Marina And The Diamonds, so no wonder I hate this a little. The production is nice, I'll give it that!
    Pendulum 6 The choir is lovely but there's not much meat in this song's bones...

swim likes this.
  10. Wow, catching up on this and it really has gone excellently. Cup of Coffee and Use Your Love are big losses for me (I knew when I was tagged twice, it was two One of the Boys-era songs, since I doubt I am the lowest scorer for anything here) but at least they exited after some true garbage.

slaybellz likes this.
  11. Pendulum deserved better ... It's a breath of fresh air on Witness.

12. Aw I really like This Moment. One of the better PRISM ballads.

Music Is Death, Serg., Andrew and 5 others like this.
  13. I really dislike Pendulum, though it was staged brilliantly during the Witness tour.

We haven't had enough tour discussion here really. Katy is someone who I will always want to go see live. She serves BUDGET.

14. Her version of Waving Through a Window is great, and it does really suit her. I love the original, and having finally seen the West End version back in February, it just doesn't hit quite as hard without the drama that comes with musical performances, which is the only reason I didn't give it a ten.

Music Is Death, Andrew and swim like this.
  15. I'd actually never heard A Cup of Coffee before this rate. It was an enjoyable song overall and I (reluctantly) bopped, but I couldn't reconcile with the lyrics.

Starstrukk has aged like milk. Ten years ago it would've been an easy 10. Now, not so much. Chucked it 6 points because Katy's bit genuinely slaps.

spaceship likes this.
  16. @ all the Witness haters in here

[​IMG]

17. Roar should've been the first cut from Prism, but it was never going to happen.

18. This Moment going now doesn’t bode well for my precious Prism back half aka the best half aka part of a perfectly great pop album overall.

It somewhat sags in the context of the album but I alway think 'bop!' ever since she framed it that way on the Prismatic tour in the opening section. Watch for some vocal choices!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  19. No.

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, Island, Maki and 7 others like this.
  20. I gave it a 2 and my next lowest score on the album was a 6.5 so...
    [​IMG]

Verandi and aux like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.