Katy Perry - The Rate WINNER | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy Perry - The Rate WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Lost Boy, Sep 14, 2020.

1. What is this massive anti-Ur So Gay campaign. I absolute adore it. It is one of the few tracks from the first era that I still actively seek out. Surely she doesn't mean the lyrics as it is a view of society at the time - a parody? Or is it really that homophobic and nothing else? I never took it seriously on it's content to be honest, but her fun geeky self. Guess I am clearly missing a point.

Maki likes this.
  2. Some of us might rather give an 11 though.

3. I don't completely get it, either. Ever since I heard it, I thought they were a tongue-in-cheek, overly sarcastic, intentionally tone-deaf type of lyrics (as was P!nk stereotyping 'dumb women' in "Stupid Girls" music video), which was actually picking at people who make those certain stereotypes - a parody of a parody , if that makes sense (I mean, "I Kissed a Girl" appears on the very same album). Then I saw the massive backlash on this forum and... yeah.

Sonically, "Ur So Gay" is my favourite song from "One of the Boys". There I said it.

4. Ur So Gay is like a 6/10 for me, I never really listen to it anymore but it was never terrible either.

5. Am I saving my grumpy self for when the eliminations are actually happening or do I dissect why "Ur So Gay" is offensively trash right now? Mh. Some of these posts... girls.

6. Actually, does our opinion about "Ur So Gay" even matter when Madonna said it was her favourite song at the time?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Andrew.L and slaybellz like this.
  7. I'd find 'Ur So Gay' more offensive if it were sung by a serious singer/songwriter type, but Katy is so tongue-in-cheek with it, I can't hate it.

I find "Thank God that you were man enough to come answer my mamma's prayers" in 'Never Worn White' more offensive, to be honest.

Maki likes this.
  8. Ain't you straight?

9. Yes, and...? Does it have to do anything with the song? Am I allowed to vote? Do I have to re-evaluate my life? Who am I living for?.mp3

[​IMG]

Fun fact: I just found out last week that Katy is the one whose voice is behind the "they ask you are you fine, and you just have to say that you're fine..." meme. I always thought that was one of the XYZ Kardashian's voices. Mind. Blown.

10. Ddd sis its just not a straight person's place to tell queer people what is and isn't offensive. 'Ur So Gay' is a problematic swing through stereotypes using the feminisation of a man as critique (and framing it as a gay thing).

11. @Maki - Either it was light-hearted dig that "Ur So Gay" is your favorite song on the album, of all songs, or pointing out that maybe you shouldn't go too far with the "I don't get it" if you wouldn't be a person in the position to be personally offended by any of the lyrics. It's fine for you to like the song and it's perfectly fine for others to find it completely offensive without it coming accross like you're questioning it.

It's likely the latter, so don't die on that hill.

12. Well I am a faggot and I still stan Ur So Gay. In fact it is one of the songs I use in class on Pink Friday to point out how stereotypes work for the queer community and how diverse it is in reality. But not once I felt like attacked by miss Perry as I completely view it as a parody on how people think about lgbtqi+.

Do I understand now correctly that most people would approve the song if it was sung by a queer artist instead of Katy Perry? And that the offence is that Katy has no right to address this as an outsider of the community?

Untouchable Ace, unnameable and Maki like this.
  13. @Lost Boy - I never said nor even thought of telling people what's offensive or not (which is something that, in reality, no one should do); I just shared my own perception of the song (similarly to what @Sprockrooster did), which should be perfectly fine, no? We're in a rate, after all.

I totally understand how some people consider the song to be offensive, but also don't get why that ultimately means that the song is crap and everyone should tank it. That's why I said in the previous post that I don't completely get it.

Something I stand for is that it's important what is being said, and not who says it. And making assumptions that what should be said depends on someone's sexual orientation and such, is quite stereotypical, which in return comes off as hypocritical.

But, really, "Ur So Gay" is my favourite song from the album, problematic lyrics or not. It's just the way I am with music...

Untouchable Ace, Andrew.L and DJHazey like this.
  14. I 100% understand why people find Ur So Gay offensive and if it came out today I probably would to, but my 2007 self still kinda loves it, not gonna lie. It's a product of it's time, as is I Kissed A Girl.

I mean this iconic Hilary Duff PSA hadn't even come out yet in 2007.

15. Ratey Perry was right there...

Also One of the Boys is virtually dud-free

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  16. I mean, right now you're a straight person who isn't being targeted (inadvertently or not) by the song's subject matter questioning why people who are targeted by the subject matter think the song is trash. Maybe you don't get it because you haven't had to deal with how the stereotypes in Ur So Gay directly result in physical, emotional or mental abuse for queer people. Maybe you don't get it because Ur So Gay doesn't perpetuate stereotypes that directly harm you.

Katy Perry is not a gay man. Therefore, she has no right to decide what does or doesn't "make someone gay" nor is it her place to deride a straight man for his effeminate tendencies as if they have anything to do with who he wants to fuck. It absolutely matters that Katy Perry is not a gay man, because it's an act of casual homophobia to release a song like this and profit directly off of perpetuating queer stereotypes. This was not a song made by a queer person to empower queer people, this was a song written by a woman who was mad at a former lover so she weaponized his effeminate tendencies to insult him. Ur So Gay is an unfortunate product of its time and I'm thankful Katy has shown immense growth in the time since its release.

17. Thank you for clarifying!

berserkboi, Maki and Jonathan27 like this.
  18. Every time I play that song, everybody has come back laughing. I’m not the type of person who walks around calling everything gay. That song is about a specific guy that I used to date and specific issues that he had. The song is about my ex wearing guyliner and taking emo pictures of himself in the bathroom mirror. The listeners have to read the context of the song and decide for themselves.

- Katy Perry, 2008​

Ah ah Katy, so funny! Like, let's be honest, Katy in 2008 didn't have the knowledge, the nuance nor the writing capabilities to tackle a subject like this. She's not part of the community either. There's not some kind of "hidden" irony that us queers are too stupid to grasp. It's just a misfire of a song. The video adds more problematic layers to the whole thing too. If you come here declaring the song is a 10 just to look different, feel free to do so, but I won't be there treating you like you're a misunderstood hipster.

And the tea is that, even if the lyrics weren't trash, the song sounds bad anyway. Those whistles from hell? The struggle vocals? No ma'am.

stuaw, berserkboi and Untouchable Ace like this.
  19. The thematic content of both I Kissed a Girl and Ur So Gay has aged like dick cheese but the latter in particular also sounds diabolic

20. 'Act My Age' has no right to be as good as it is. Damn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.