Katy Perry - Witness | Page 1529 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy Perry - Witness

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Fallen Angel, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Haven't been able to watch American Idol yet, but I'm not surprised by the reviews. She was a guest judge on the original I think when Simon was still there and I thought she killed it.

2. RJF

RJF

That's the last thing we need.

3. I can't cope with the random Youtube-channel-esque edits of Lionel being chased by an alpaca etc.

BreatheBox and DoggySwami like this.
  4. RJF

RJF

Okay but I'm gonna need the overnights sistren. Was it up or down on last season's finale? How did it do in the demo? Let me perch until 5PM.

5. I GASPED.

6. It did a 2.1 in the first hour and 2.4 in the second. Season 15 debuted and ended at 3.0. It's a solid premiere all things considered but given that it will plummet over the course of the season as it usually does, I imagine they're second-guessing that $25M paycheck right about now.

For comparison, the latest season of The Voice did a 2.8 for its premiere in February.

Vixen, ohnostalgia, Kuhleezi and 11 others like this.
  7. @ABC

[​IMG]

8. I lowkey didn't realize American Idol already premiered.

9. 10.3 million viewers and 94% of its audience intact from its previous finale. Not bad at all. They haven't been too heavy on promo either, as far as trotting the judges out on talk shows and the like, so I imagine there will be a steady stream of promo over the next couple months.

10. Yeah, I know she was on the promo trail this week but I didn't realize it was on until she started live tweeting it (3 hours later since she's on the west coast) nn.

DoggySwami likes this.
  11. I always forget @RJF is like the biggest TV ratings nerd.

Vixen likes this.
  12. RJF

RJF

It's a pretty strong start for Idol, but we'll see how much damage The Voice does tonight.

MusicLover11 likes this.
  13. It usually really dives later in the season, so maybe cutting the episode order will help, but I imagine we'll see it down to the 1.5-1.7 range relatively soon. I believe the lowest it ever went was a 1.3. If it can stick above that, it will be a huge improvement for ABC Sundays.

I'd be pretty shocked if they get Katy back for another season, though.

lushLuck likes this.
  14. RJF

RJF

The problem genuinely is that Katy's (and most likely Ryan's too) salary is potentially invalidating the ability to survive on lower ratings. Reality television is cheap as fuck to produce against scripted television so theoretically it should still be viable even if it drops in the demo a lot... but I wonder where ABC's pain threshold is in terms of how much they shelled out to bring it back against what they're making back off it.

It Katy does this for more than one season I'll be surprised. Whether it's because she has other commitments or because ABC decide to chance a second season with another, cheaper judge, I don't know. She's being received well though, so at least it's not going to be the PR nightmare we thought it could be... for now.

15. Isn’t Ryan a bit problematic?

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  16. The only reason Fox dumped it in the first place was that production costs outweighed what they were making, which is why I thought it was insane that they threw $25 Million at Katy. I get that they needed a big name, but it makes me believe that they weren't thinking about longevity at all. They would have been smarter to invest in 3 judges that could potentially stick around. Katy is indeed getting great reviews, so it will likely be a big blow to the show for her to step away next year and leave Lionel and Luke. That said, this years' ratings will dictate what they get from advertisers next year, so if Katy can bring in the ratings for now and then walks and they pay a new judge considerably less, they could be fine.

Not according to E! or ABC, apparently.

Ferk and lushLuck like this.
  17. I reckon she'll want to do at least another year of American Idol. She's managed to juggle the tour and the show well at this point, and this time next year she'll have a much clearer diary than what she has now. Am I right in thinking that by the time the live shows come around, she'll be on tour in Mexico or Asia or something? That seems like someone who is really keen for American Idol.

18. Idol was down to a 1.7 / 1.9 last night, versus The Voice at 2.2 / 2.5 (both were 2 hours).

lushLuck likes this.
  19. RJF

RJF

dd here we go!

20. Even worse, apparently the 1.7-1.9 range is what ABC touted as their projected season average to advertisers and it's only going to continue sinking so... they're going to get significantly less $ for the show next year. I don't think they'd be able to bring Katy back even if she wants to do it.

lushLuck likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.