Katy Perry - Witness | Page 1530 | The Popjustice Forum

Katy Perry - Witness

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Fallen Angel, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Well, a lot of people I know seem to be watching clips on it online so there's that. I don't know why they got Katy though, considering she's never seemed to be a "need to watch" popstar. In fact, most pop girls aren't really ratings magnets... the last pop girl I recall that seemed to be a sure ratings win was Britney last decade (pre-X Factor).

2. Confirmed, season 17 will be a YouTube exclusive with Charli XCX, Tinashe and Tony Bennet judging.

3. Okay but this would be incredible.

4. [​IMG]

THIS.IS.EVERYTHING

5. I'm not shocked the ratings are already slipping. I don't even watch The Voice anymore either, they need to cool it with the two seasons a year thing. I'm a bit over singing competition shows in general.

Do we know if they are planning to shake the actual format of the competition up when we get to Hollywood or will it be the same shit from the original?

6. RJF

RJF

So it turns out The Voice... kind of thrashed it. A difference of three million overall viewers and a full half-point in the demo. Like, I think The Voice is old enough these days for networks to be scheduling against it aggressively, but... not with Idol.

It's insane how the television industry has changed, nearly as much as music. I remember the days where other networks genuinely cleared their schedules because Idol was at the Top 24 stage, running three nights a week, pulling over thirty million viewers with double digit demos and anything that went against it was crushed. Season 6 premiered to over forty million people. These days you're lucky to get that amount of people watching live across an entire night on every network combined.

Also, like @VicePresidentJocasta stated, Idol will only fall further. It always tailed off in the latter half of its season (as did a lot of shows, usually down to the weather getting better and more people not being around their televisions) and I don't see that trend reversing. Hmm...

ThighHighs, Jonathan27, KYLE and 5 others like this.
  7. In Idol's heyday people basically chose between shows on NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX... HBO if they were boujee. Now there's FX, FXX, AMC, Freeform, Showtime, Starz, Lifetime, etc. Plus streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu and 1000 specialty channels. There's no need to watch shows live anymore because anyone can watch anything whenever they want. Nearly every show on TV sees massive year-to-year declines. Viewers seem to prefer binge-watching, which is why successful dramas are so hard to come by for broadcast networks these days.

There are a few exceptions, which is why ABC was willing to throw $20M at Ellen Pompeo to keep Grey's Anatomy going (Grey's scored the same demo for their 11th episode in season 14 this year as they did for the 11th episode of season 11; a higher demo than the 11th episode of season 10). Branding 'TGIT' was the smartest marketing by a network in ages, because they convinced fans that they needed to tune in to Greys / Scandal / Murder live or they'd miss out. But pretty soon there will be more shows below a 1.0 than above it (most dramas on broadcast right now are falling below 1.0. This Is Us & Grey's are the only dramas on broadcast averaging above 2.0 this season).

Pretty much anyone who pays any attention to television has known from the start that this Idol reboot was going to be a big misstep for ABC. I get that they wanted something to compete with The Voice, but they did everything wrong - brought it back too early, got a boring panel of judges, and waaaay over-spent on Katy. There's no way it's going to be viable long-term.

8. Here's an exclusive first look at this panel in action:

[​IMG]

9. Surely tv figures aren’t the b-all anymore, and Katy’s there to bring in the online views on YouTube etc?

10. I feel like this AI season will help Katy more than Katy will be able to help it. The videos I’ve been seeing of her are so endearing! I wonder if they will have a Katy Perry week in the finals.

11. I think most of us have been thinking that since we found out she'd be on the show. It's definitely an opportunity for image rehab.

12. Especially with a show like Idol, live viewing is hugely important. With scripted shows they get additional fees from syndication, streaming, etc. But shows like Idol & The Voice rely on advertiser dollars from first-run airings. Certainly they won't be mad at Katy giving them good YouTube numbers, but in this case the ratings really are important. Their best hope now is that they're able to find a noteworthy talent.

13. [​IMG]

Floppie likes this.
  15. Idol was going to tank and will continue to tank. She did it because who wouldn’t for $25 million? Haven’t seen it, but she’s not nervous like Mariah, unprofessional like Niki, or sometimes aloof like Britney, so she’s not going to humiliate herself. She’ll have a few “aww shucks” moments for Hollywood Life to turn into clickbait, and if Capitol lets her put a single out in May, great.

16. This does not explain why she has been so successful for that long. These same perfumists make fragrances for popular non-celebrity fragrances as well as other celebrities.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43211613

17. I bought Mariah's Luscious Pink. Definitely had her trademark glam/diva vibe.

Also had like 3 copies of E=MC2 ddd.

18. I know it was just a cute moment, but this is exactly where my mind went when I saw it happen.

flowersandu and inevitable like this.
  19. I’m sure she didn’t mean any harm, and probably just wanted to give the guy something to brag about, but this was a really poorly judged (don’t) decision on her part. People have all sorts of attitudes about physical contact, and being Katy Perry isn’t an excuse to disregard personal boundaries.

ohnostalgia and snoho like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.